Gen 2 motor swap out

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

New to the viper world here. currently have a stock 2001 GTS. looking at either upgrading current motor, looking for around the 550 to 600 hp mark.. need some hints here or can I swap out the Gen 2 and install a gen4 set up and what do I need to change ?

regards
Chris

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought Dodge was coming out with a GenIV package for GenI/II/III?

That was my thought. I haven't heard much talk lately about it. Thats one kit i'd like some info on.
As far as doing a motor swap, from what i have read i guess its not that easy and no one does it. They just modd their Gen 2. Try doing a search on here, you should find some info on these topic. Good Luck.

And where abouts in Ontario are you?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

New to the viper world here. currently have a stock 2001 GTS. looking at either upgrading current motor, looking for around the 550 to 600 hp mark.. need some hints here or can I swap out the Gen 2 and install a gen4 set up and what do I need to change ?

regards
Chris

You can make a very strong Gen 2 motor by upgrading and porting the upper end of a motor + headers. Installing a gen 4 motor is possible, but the costs would be very high due to the costs and the motor, cost of the wiring, computer for a gen 4 and the cost of wiring it into a working car.

You should try to keep the car driveable and well mannered as part of your goals. With a viper you really don't have to do very much to get a lot of power out of it. My only advise is to talk to shops who have worked on vipers before, In the past, I have had to remove heads that were overported and camshafts that were just not tuneable.

Best bet is to talk to a tuner and ask what parts they support.

Good luck

Garrett

PS: Are you coming to the RAMA event?

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heads, Cam, Headers, tuning will get you between 550-600rwhp on a GenII motor, if that's your goal. I did the Greg Good treatment. Definitely give Dan or Greg a call.

OP
OP
E

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I am located in Peterborough Ont and we have around 8 vipers around here.

What is the Rama event and when is it...

Rama is just over an hours drive from us

I have sent an email to Dan.

Regards
Chris

OP
OP
E

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also you guys in Ontario can check out Race the runway Smith Falls. We had 4 vipers run 1/2 speeds and quarter mile times

ACR posted best quarter out of us with a 12.02 , mine was second with 12.54(old tires) and 99 13.07 and SRT 13.36

top speed was SRT 225, ACR 223, my GTS 222 and the 99 221kms

regards
Chris

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Do you get emails from Mary? It was going to be the poker run.

If not send me your email, first and last name

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heads, Cam, Headers, tuning will get you between 550-600rwhp on a GenII motor, if that's your goal. I did the Greg Good treatment. Definitely give Dan or Greg a call.

This is the most cost efficient way to go on a Gen 2

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456