GEN 2 Ram Air Intake Product...

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread, but really i should have created a new one. Has anyone seen or installed this Ram Air Product? I have a good friend who is a Corvette guy (I am working on him:dunno:) however Corvette's of Westchester actually manufacture a Ram Air product specifically for GEN2 Vipers. here is the link to the product sheet. Anyone seen this? what are your thougths?

New Page 0

:headbang:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a good way to get rain water directly into your intake system :rolleyes:

There are a few things out there on the market which people seem to prefer, One is Vipair which I believe forces more air into your existing air box. There is also the JMB Performance air intake system. Take a look at the products available from Vendors on this site, give them a call they will point you in the correct direction.
Mark
:uk:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, Vipair looks like a good (easy) bolt on source of 10-15hp and works with current airbox so water is not an issue. If I'm not mistaken, it is also alot less than $399.:headbang:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The item cannot work, Naca ducts are "air removal devices and cause a vacuum at speed, just as they did on the factory GTSR's and the GTSR race engineer Jerry Malicoat had the Naca ducts removed from all the race cars and an intake like the vipair put in its place. He stated that they were losing 80 Horsepower at 120 MPH due to the vacuum created by the Naca duct. The best mod you could do is add a vipair and block your Naca duct.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The item cannot work, Naca ducts are "air removal devices and cause a vacuum at speed, just as they did on the factory GTSR's and the GTSR race engineer Jerry Malicoat had the Naca ducts removed from all the race cars and an intake like the vipair put in its place. He stated that they were losing 80 Horsepower at 120 MPH due to the vacuum created by the Naca duct. The best mod you could do is add a vipair and block your Naca duct.

Very true. The 'NACA duct' on the Gen II cars isn't a true NACA duct - it has the outline, but not the actual shape. Bernoulli's effect can't be overcome when you have an opening that's basically parallel to the airflow and nothing to re-direct air to where you want it to go. With rising velocity, pressure decreases, hence the vaccuum effect of the intake as-designed.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long as you don't care about actual power gains, and are just fine with "claimed" gains any of the viper air intake systems will work just fine for you.

Just do your self a favor and dont TEST any of the products.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a VaraRam on my C6 Vette and the system basically went all the way down to the bottom of the fascia. The gain was instant and significant on THAT car because the factory intake of air was so poorly designed. So, on a Vette the VaraRam was a great edition, on a Viper using the NACA duct is not doing the same thing (bringing in air) that the design did on the Vette, and could create issues as mentioned above that I don't need to repeat. Plus, it is way over-priced... Go with Vipair. :drive:

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the comments...I have the K&N Filters, getting the polished tubes, and will get a Vipair box...sounds great thanks guys, i didn't like the look of that ram air thing anyway......figures it's made by Vette people and i don't like the way it looks!!!