Gen 3 Interior Top of Door Trim Failure

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Purchased a white mamba last April. Inside top of door panel plastic trim on both doors were gone or cracked to pieces. Tried ordering replacements from dealer, aftermarket, etc. Was told good luck getting anything. One aftermarket guy told me to just put tape over the space, like everybody else was doing. Didn't seem like the thing to do to a collectable car. Long story short, I have produced a poly carbon 3D printed replacement part. Had several Viper people look at the installed parts and have received very favorable response. Considering making more parts, but since I don't work for $10/hr anymore, these parts will probably cost around $200 a set. The parts are finished with a UV protected paint and install easily with a 3M double sided tape.

I'm posting to get feedback on member interest and the possibility of making a 20 set pilot run. Anybody interested? I can text or email pictures.

FasrRice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pictures and you likely will get some buyers. My left one is starting to come up so I may be a buyer as well.

OP
OP
T

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the first set. The factory part is made of a .2mm piece of aluminum incased in plastic that has a rail on the bottom that is secured to the backside of the door panel with finger clips. On my car the top piece broke for what ever reason, leaving the rail still in the gap attached to the back of the door panel. My poly carbon part is much stronger and the 9mm tape secures the part to both the rail and material on the top of the door panel. I can bend my part considerably without any damage. Can't say the same for the factory part.

Attachments

• 20220908_055524.jpg
    20220908_055524.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220819_122842.jpg
    20220819_122842.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very nice! This is an issue that has plagued the later gens for a long time, so I'm sure you'll see some interest pick up one the word gets around. Mine aren't super bad yet, but it does catch my arm every once in a while when I have the window down and rest my arm on the top while driving. I ended putting some black silicone down the edge of mine to sort of blend it with the door panel and try to prevent some of that instead of the tape approach.

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a pair for sure...........Mine are still in place with a little separation...but its only a matter of time

OP
OP
T

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. I'll keep you posted on any future info on making these parts.

jathanks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be in for two. One on each door. The price seems reasonable if the quality is good. Looking forward to hearing more about this!

OP
OP
T

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
John, I don't know much about Vipers, since this is my first Mopar. The part I made was for my 2004 Gen 3. Not sure this part is applicable to a Gen 1.

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested. Can you describe how it is affixed again? Double back tape and a rail? Maybe a picture. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Don't have any pics. The factory part was built onto the interior door panel. It sat atop of the door panel and was secured with a vertical piece on the bottom of the part. This vertical fit into several finger clips that were attached to the backside of the door panel. If your car is missing the top piece you should be able to see the remnants of the vertical part still stuck in the finger clips. My unit is a reproduction of the top part, no vertical part. The 3M tape is made to adhere to the top of the interior door panel as well as the vertical piece that's hopefully is still stuck in the finger clips. When installed, the part should remain attached to door panel if you were to remove the door panel for any reason.

OP
OP
T

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Well I have to say that the interest level for these door trim pieces is underwhelming. When I was looking for a solution for my car it was said that this is a common problem and no real solution. I've happily fixed my car, but the interest level to go any farther doesn't appear to there.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You might post on the Facebook page as well. You'll likely get a lot more eyes seeing it there than you will here. The forums used to be a lot more active, but they have turned into a bit more of an archive and tech section than the social scene that they used to be. A lot of owners are also not necessarily in a club period, so hard to say how much interest they would really be "in general".

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really blame you. I know it's there, but I don't really deal with it if I don't have to.

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up an 06 and there is a strip hanging up. I'd be interested if things change and you decide to make and sell them.

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my Viper came missing the driver side. I found black plastic trim used between when butting 2 pieces of paneling together. It's "T" shaped & fits where the molding was. Needs glued down, which I didn't do but found some automotive clips just like the clips that held the original trim. Works good, but looks cheap.

J TNT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i Have been reproducing the Door Trim for the last 4 years , It's improved and more Robust than OEM , with OEM Look .FCA Stopped making them 12 years ago .
You can reach me at 416 930 4049 . Text is best . Here is a link with many Happy customers .
Jay

Attachments

• 68296971_10157279784996093_2681518975346540544_o.jpg
    68296971_10157279784996093_2681518975346540544_o.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail_IMG_0015.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0015.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 34

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone do me a favor and measure the length and width of the pieces? My car is not here yet but I want to look around and see if I can find some automotive trim that might be able to go over the top of it, and if I do I will be happy to share. If I find some I could use the very thin 3M tape to attach it.