Gen 4 computer unlock!?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Ralph, PLEASE unlock the gen 4 computer so that I can mod my car not to lose to GTRs!:rolaugh: So did all the tuners just give up on us gen 4 guys or what?:dunno: I hope you guys know that the gen 5 will most likely be using the same computer from gen 4s! Come on tuners, gritty up, it's been 4 years already!:eater:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir,

Your right, enough is enough.

I've talked to people who won't consider the new Chrysler products because they have computers that are "locked" for lack of a better word...why buy an SRT when it is so much easier and cheaper to mod and play with a Ford or GM product. A lot of guys like to mod their cars (its a hobby for a lot of them) and it actually makes our cars less desirable and potentially demishes their value since there is only so much you can do with them without going to a very expensive computer system.

Hell, Chrysler offered and sold us the Mopar PCM for the GEN 4, why not offer an "off road only" pcm that can be tuned?....god knows most us would pay to have that option.

Even the new 458 can be re-mapped and so can the Maserati Gran Turismo....both owned by our parent company.

Maybe Dodge is concerned that having a Gen 4 that can easily achieve higher hp numbers might hurt future Gen 5 sales :dunno: It would be refreshing to hear an honest answer from corporate as to why it isn't happening since the parent company allows it in their other high performance brands.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is always the MOPAR PCM which you can get.

I have the mopar ecu and it's a joke!:mad:

Moundir,

Your right, enough is enough.

I've talked to people who won't consider the new Chrysler products because they have computers that are "locked" for lack of a better word...why buy an SRT when it is so much easier and cheaper to mod and play with a Ford or GM product. A lot of guys like to mod their cars (its a hobby for a lot of them) and it actually makes our cars less desirable and potentially demishes their value since there is only so much you can do with them without going to a very expensive computer system.

Hell, Chrysler offered and sold us the Mopar PCM for the GEN 4, why not offer an "off road only" pcm that can be tuned?....god knows most us would pay to have that option.

Even the new 458 can be re-mapped and so can the Maserati Gran Turismo....both owned by our parent company.

Maybe Dodge is concerned that having a Gen 4 that can easily achieve higher hp numbers might hurt future Gen 5 sales :dunno: It would be refreshing to hear an honest answer from corporate as to why it isn't happening since the parent company allows it in their other high performance brands.

Cheers,
George

I begged Ralph in Ny to unlock our computers and he said he would....:rolleyes: i am seriously getting fed up with this as well and will have to make a decision about the car if I can't modd it any further. ***** because I really love my car! But I hate losing races even more!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy a motec system from John Reed, tune all you want. done.

I don't see spending 25% of my Gen 4's value (thats not including anything else, just the computer and install) on putting in a Motec or something similar.

Not even counting forced induction, just being able to run hotter cams, compression ratios, etc would be nice.

And speaking of the Motec, etc types of computers, I still haven't seen a Gen 4 up and running with a baller setup. Is it all talk or do these cars actually exist and run?

Honestly, if I don't see any vids or dyno pulls, I call B.S.

George

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen a post awhile ago with a TT on a Gen IV. Have to search it up here.
Never ran right and we never once again heard of the car..... Wonder why now:rolleyes:
Also I agree, to spend over 20k for a computer is just plain stupid no matter how you cut it! What ****** me off even further is a SRT engineer bragging about the gen 5 having forged pistons so you can go with forced induction...., what about the tuning :mad::curse:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Never ran right and we never once again heard of the car..... Wonder why now:rolleyes:

I hope you aren't talking about mine... the fact is, that it tested out fine with the prototype harness, but the production harness is stuck in limbo as I have just not had enough time to finish the dang thing these days. Every time I think I will catch a break, something comes up or like last week, I hurt my friggen back which makes it a nightmare to lean over the table and work on a harness. The final version is mind-bogglingly complicated yet remarkably streamlined, but is far above what would ever be needed on most cars... mainly built to handle any testing or application that I might need in the future

The only other G4's I know of are the UGR car, which I am pretty sure is still on the road somewhere, and the RSI car that who knows what happened to it. I also heard of a Henny G4... but no clue what the deal was on that one. Not sure if you meant one of those instead...

So far as the actual topic on this thread... I wouldnt hold my breath in all honesty. While it does mean that people may be more attracted to the car because of tuning, it also would make Mopar give up their "trump card" over aftermarket modifications and market control, and I dont see that happening.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Ralph, PLEASE unlock the gen 4 computer so that I can mod my car not to lose to GTRs!:rolaugh: So did all the tuners just give up on us gen 4 guys or what?:dunno: I hope you guys know that the gen 5 will most likely be using the same computer from gen 4s! Come on tuners, gritty up, it's been 4 years already!:eater:

That was the struggle I went through when deciding between a Gen 3, Gen 4 or even a GTR. Id love a GTR for ease of extras, but the Viper has been a dream of mine for 20 years and flat out drops jaws. I was tempted to get a Gen 3 because of the computer alone but figured if I went with a Gen 4 I would behave a bit.

Maybe by the time I have money saved back up again the computer in the Gen 4 will be a non issue. Let's see if I am right because I really don't want to shell out $1,000 right now for a Mopar PCM that doesn't solve a whole lot. :rolaugh:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the guys at SCT at PRI last year for a little bit on the subject. I wanted to buy the new little deal they have that you can monitor everything with your Iphone/Ipad. They don't make it for our cars. Then we got on the subject how they don't make any products for any of the newer Chrysler products. It's not because it can't be done. The bottom line is they as a company weren't willing to invest a bunch of $$$ on developing products for Chrysler vehicles because they didn't know how much longer Chrysler was gonna be around. Now that things have changed and the bankruptcy is over one can only hope that they might start making something. I will stop by their booth again this year and see if anything is in the works.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you aren't talking about mine... the fact is, that it tested out fine with the prototype harness, but the production harness is stuck in limbo as I have just not had enough time to finish the dang thing these days. Every time I think I will catch a break, something comes up or like last week, I hurt my friggen back which makes it a nightmare to lean over the table and work on a harness. The final version is mind-bogglingly complicated yet remarkably streamlined, but is far above what would ever be needed on most cars... mainly built to handle any testing or application that I might need in the future

The only other G4's I know of are the UGR car, which I am pretty sure is still on the road somewhere, and the RSI car that who knows what happened to it. I also heard of a Henny G4... but no clue what the deal was on that one. Not sure if you meant one of those instead....
Didn't even know you had one, sorry! I was referring to The UGR one. There was an initial hey look what we done post and nothing since after.

ACRucrazy, I thought the same thing, that I was going to be good this time as my last viper had 940rwhp, but here I am looking for more hp... I have all the bolt ons and obviously it isn't enough:smirk: just wait untill 675hp becomes pedestrian and you start looking for more....the mopar ecu is junk and will not give you much!

MTGTS, when will you see those SCT guys again? Maybe an online petition to them and SRT will help! :dunno:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MTGTS, when will you see those SCT guys again? Maybe an online petition to them and SRT will help! :dunno:

PRI is in early Dec. Phone calls to them asking for stuff sure don't hurt.

They would prob start with all the 6.1 and 6.4 Hemi stuff anyways, much bigger market and they said they had a lot of inquires about that stuff at PRI.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the Gen V ,and although I can't afford it now one of the major turn off for me is the lack of options to go faster and keep up with the competition than can modd easily.
This is a list of quick cars that can be modded for under 10k, or ever under 5k, and **** the Gen IV, and V on the hwy.
In no particular oder:

Nissan GTR
ZR1
13 GT500
Supercharged Z06, or LS3 vette
Cadillac CTS V
Camaro ZL1
Porsche Turbo

All this cars come forced induction from factory(minus the z06, but can be SC for 6k), and although bone stock they probably can't beat the Viper, be sure when one of them pulls up next to you on the hwy. he will not be stock.. and will just walk away...
:omg:
With Today's competion N/A power does not cut it!:nono:

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw the UGR G4 car at the texas mile a couple of times, it ran great, no issues other than granading the trans and rear diffs.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion is SCT is blowing smoke regarding the Venom controller used in the Gen 4....it is a whole different level compared to everything else. Can it be done, yes but not by SCT. I talked to SCT in 2009 at SEMA regarding a controller for the Gen 4 and it was the same old story. The profit margin on controllers is huge once the program is written. If it could have been done by SCT, it would have...I don't feel they have the technology to do it. Without help from SRT you won't see it happening.

Looking at it from a business standpoint, I think SRT is thinking, "hey, here is a potential product for us to sell through Mopar, etc." But since they have a couple thousand other issues they have to take care of first, this falls on the back burner. In the meantime people that want modified cars look to the other brands as mentioned above to buy and modify. This is actually hurting the resale value of Gen 4's. (one of the reasons the Ford GT is desirable is the ease of pumping up the power). The Gen 4 is a fantastic platform and its used prices make it a very obvious choice to be modified assuming the programming could be handled at a reasonable cost.

The market has changed, 10 years ago a Viper owner may have owned more than one Viper and stayed Viper faithful. Now I see Viper owners that also own Ford GT's, GTR's, Vettes, F-Cars, Lambo's, etc. Very, very few of these petrol heads leave their cars stock.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the UGR G4 car at the texas mile a couple of times, it ran great, no issues other than granading the trans and rear diffs.
That's good to hear! I cant imagine any tranny or rear capable of holding that kind of power!

Back on topic, anyone here savvy enough to get an online petition started?!

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's good to hear! I cant imagine any tranny or rear capable of holding that kind of power!

Back on topic, anyone here savvy enough to get an online petition started?!

I would sign it. Im maxed out on HP/Mods now. Im on the fence about going to Pro EFI, being able to tune the factory or Mopar ECU would be great.

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why gen 4 can't be tunned easily ???
If it can be tunned, is the tuning going to make big diffrace for n/a application, let's say full bolt on viper plus ported head and intake??

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&V,

Not so much for the basic headers, intake, etc...the Mopar computer will keep the check engine light from coming on, skip shift gone, a few more revs. But if you want to do other N/A mods (camshaft, compression, etc), then yes you will need some sort of custom tune. I do believe there is some real potential in a hotter cam, different cam phasing, better valvetrain, etc. I would totally love to have a raspy cam lope in a Gen 4 :2tu:

Biggest gripe I have is the totally weak throttle response. It doesn't effect you at the track when moving at speed as much, but day to day street driving is downright irrating IMO. Drove a friends Ford GT last month and although it is a great car, my favorite thing about it was its awesome throttle response. I love blipping the throttle and having it respond. I still don't understand why the off road Mopar computer I have doesn't make this thing respond at least as good as a Gen 3....

SRT, can we send back our Mopar computers for a reflash to make the fly by wire "fly"???

George

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why gen 4 can't be tunned easily ???
If it can be tunned, is the tuning going to make big diffrace for n/a application, let's say full bolt on viper plus ported head and intake??
YES! Gen 3s for example pick up 30 more hp when tuned properly with headers and exaust! Add ported heads and a cam and the gains can even be more!

Petition is up and running.. Please check in and sign it:2tu:

http://www.change.org/petitions/dodge-srt-please-allow-tunning-of-gen-4-vipers?share_id=tlDEmehgGS

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&V,

Not so much for the basic headers, intake, etc...the Mopar computer will keep the check engine light from coming on, skip shift gone, a few more revs. But if you want to do other N/A mods (camshaft, compression, etc), then yes you will need some sort of custom tune. I do believe there is some real potential in a hotter cam, different cam phasing, better valvetrain, etc. I would totally love to have a raspy cam lope in a Gen 4 :2tu:

Biggest gripe I have is the totally weak throttle response. It doesn't effect you at the track when moving at speed as much, but day to day street driving is downright irrating IMO. Drove a friends Ford GT last month and although it is a great car, my favorite thing about it was its awesome throttle response. I love blipping the throttle and having it respond. I still don't understand why the off road Mopar computer I have doesn't make this thing respond at least as good as a Gen 3....

SRT, can we send back our Mopar computers for a reflash to make the fly by wire "fly"???

George

Throttle response in the Gen 4 is the single most disappointing aspect of the car.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am also sick of this B.S.

Want to improve my car's overall performance but there is a huge brick wall right inside my ECU called "torque management" everytime I consider an upgrade for my car even after buying forged pistons and rods.

HEY SRT, WAKE YOUR HEADS UP and allow us gen 4 owners to BECOME FREE and take our chances and responsabilities in order to improve our cars drivability and power. Did you really built these vipers for us or what?

I see my ford and chevy friends at the track loading tunes for their engines and transmissions, superchargers and what not all the time and getting faster and faster while I **** on my fingers checking the engine oil level because there is simply NOTHING, NADA available for us SRT/ Dodge / Viper guys to tune or download our cars with in order to make them better.

I think I paid right over 136k for my 10 ACR two years ago and I should at least be given THE CHOICE to OPTIMIZE my cars performance and make this thing rock the way I want.

SRT, Don't make me sell my car with the forged pistons and rods that I bought(seating on the shelf) and trade in towards an awesome tunable 13 shelby GT-500 and ask them to throw in a power programmer in as part of the deal as I know they would...

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's the only one we currently have :(

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some options for tuning that go beyond what has been done with Motec on the Gen IV. There will soon be a standalone kit available that will be reasonably priced. Keep in mind that the Gen IV engine is very different from the previous versions. You cannot simply throw rods and pistons into the engine and make 1000rwhp.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some options for tuning that go beyond what has been done with Motec on the Gen IV. There will soon be a standalone kit available that will be reasonably priced. Keep in mind that the Gen IV engine is very different from the previous versions. You cannot simply throw rods and pistons into the engine and make 1000rwhp.

No offense WILLH, but if I had a dime for every time I have heard this, I could pay for a GenV....

Any specifics???

So far, all I have heard is that ProEFI is, "working on it"....:rolleyes:

If you build it, we will buy it......:dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte