Gen 4 Ported intake manifold results! 24rwhp!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When the Generation 4 motor first went into production we took a good look at the design of the intake and exhaust to see where we could pick up some power without upsetting the delicate tuning balance of the engine. We knew there was some power on the table in the intake manifold. After a bit of development and looking at what everyone else was doing, we came up with modified intake manifold that flowed dramatically better than stock. Changes to the manifold are significant and we feel more power still can be gained.

We tested it on a 2009 Viper with Belanger headers, side exhaust and Mopar PCM. Before and after tests were done on different days, but the testing criteria was exactly the same and the same fuel was used.

Here are some pictures of the manifold compared to stock and the testing results.

You must be registered for see images attach

These results should be very repeatable and these numbers are not inflated. We are selling these manifolds complete with a upper upper and lower sections, painted black to reduce heat. If you want the most power out of your production engine, this is a must do modification.

Pricing is $1200 plus shipping (refundable core charge applys)

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great results.

When do you think you'll get a Gen IV to break the 600 rwhp mark without getting into the internals? What octane gasoline were you using and is there more hp to be had with 93 to 96 octane?

Amazing performance potential from a NA motor.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. We are very confident that 600rwhp is possible with our current package and some cylinder head work. With better gas much higher gains are possible.

If anyone is interested in this complete package, please call and we will offer you introductory pricing.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considerable oil down there, wondering if a catch-can might be in order......

When the Generation 4 motor first went into production we took a good look at the design of the intake and exhaust to see where we could pick up some power without upsetting the delicate tuning balance of the engine. We knew there was some power on the table in the intake manifold. After a bit of development and looking at what everyone else was doing, we came up with modified intake manifold that flowed dramatically better than stock. Changes to the manifold are significant and we feel more power still can be gained.

We tested it on a 2009 Viper with Belanger headers, side exhaust and Mopar PCM. Before and after tests were done on different days, but the testing criteria was exactly the same and the same fuel was used.

Here are some pictures of the manifold compared to stock and the testing results.

These results should be very repeatable and these numbers are not inflated. We are selling these manifolds complete with a upper upper and lower sections, painted black to reduce heat. If you want the most power out of your production engine, this is a must do modification.

Pricing is $1200 plus shipping (refundable core charge applys)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Art 138,

I found the same "oil in the intake" issue when I swapped my lower intake out ..... then I developed and installed a "catch can" for the engine.

After about 500 miles and some fuel system cleaner in the tank, the engine seems to make more power now on my SOTP dyno.

I'll have it dynoed again this year at DC's Dyno Day in July and report.

Dan

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art 138,

I found the same "oil in the intake" issue when I swapped my lower intake out ..... then I developed and installed a "catch can" for the engine.

After about 500 miles and some fuel system cleaner in the tank, the engine seems to make more power now on my SOTP dyno.

I'll have it dynoed again this year at DC's Dyno Day in July and report.

Dan

Can't remember if you posted pics of the catch can...I have one installed in the 6.1 hemi of my JGCSRT 8, but would be interested in applying one.....

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. We are very confident that 600rwhp is possible with our current package and some cylinder head work. With better gas much higher gains are possible.

If anyone is interested in this complete package, please call and we will offer you introductory pricing.

What do you know about the Gen 4 cam? My Viper guy had heard that there was
more power there due to the fact it was 6 degrees from zero because the drive train
guys at Dodge were worried about warranty. I know it is a VVT so not sure if it can
be adjusted but he said setting it to zero would result in more power.

Herc

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

great results, a few questions, think there would be any issues on the Smog test? What about keeping the upper section polished? I saw Anhtuan's @ Willow last weekend, didn't like the look.
Let me know, been traveling a bunch and heading out at the end of month and would like to drop my viper off in the next couple of weeks (or maybe get ViperX to help on the install?)

Thanks,

Mike B

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No issues with the smog. We can polish the upper section or leave it the stock color. Please reserve a core so I can have it ready for you.

Thanks!

G

Gotvenom 08

If you look closely to the radius on the outer edges,the left side of pic is a larger more pronounced raduis.It is offset by about .005 of an inch.Being in the business you see the details.And I know it's all about flow in the intake.Just pointing that out.:)

Just in case you didn't notice stock machining compared to after market.As always great after market items Dan.After market is so much better.

Why I point this out ,well.........because I am a fuss button for detail.:)

Timbo

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No issues with the smog. We can polish the upper section or leave it the stock color. Please reserve a core so I can have it ready for you.

Thanks!

Dan,

Great count me in, I'll take one. The upper is already polished so just need you to do the port work. Hoping this will get me up to 580 or more to get by Anhtuan's '06 you did the headwork on. I looked at last July's dyno sheet from you and I did 553.45/531.20, you're before and after showed a pick up of 24hp 13 trq.

Also, need you to take a look at the sway bar links, it was really tough getting the moton's on and Dan E thought something isn't right from the factory. Maybe try to comp coupe set up?

Call you Monday or Tuesday to confirm all. Also, I'll try to get up there this coming week to pick up my stock exhaust.

Mike

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a Video of the last car we tested with the manifold, you can really hear the power when the cam timing changes!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjba2Dye1k[/media]

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much advance warning do you need to have one of these available?

And would I be able to get one, swap my stock intake out for the ported intake one weekend, then ship you back the stocker?

Will I need new gaskets? (750 miles on my '08)

Pretty sure this is on my 'To do' list.

Thanks Dan.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan/Aaron, Just noticed on the new dyno video "on 91 octane." When you guys first posted I assumed you ran it on 93 since it has the mopar ecu. I put in about 1/3 tank of 100 so my car should be running between 94-95 octane. Maybe break the 580? Can't wait to feel the gain and see he dyno chart! See you guys Friday.

Mike

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The job should take 4 hours start to finish. Usually the gaskets are reuseable. It takes one weeks notice to reserve a manifold as week port them per order.

Mike, I will check with the customer in the video but I believe he was using 91 fuel.
We will do a before and after dyno on your car.

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW, I put the ported intake on this weekend. It was a very easy install, I had no problems at all. I ended up picking up 2 tenths and 2-3 mph in the 1/4 mile. I feel its a great bang for your buck. Super happy with the purchase.

Everyone at DC performance was a great help, answering all and every question I had.

Great product, great service

:2tu:

Thanks
Zane

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I put the ported intake on this weekend. It was a very easy install, I had no problems at all. I ended up picking up 2 tenths and 2-3 mph in the 1/4 mile. I feel its a great bang for your buck. Super happy with the purchase.

Everyone at DC performance was a great help, answering all and every question I had.

Great product, great service

:2tu:

Thanks
Zane

That's some good info!:headbang:

What kinda times did you run?

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The performance gains from the manifold modification seem to be very consistant. It is nice to see that we are getting ET improvements that back up the dyno numbers we are getting.

We can port your manifold or exchange yours for one of ours. We also have options to paint the manifold in a heat barrier black paint or polish the top portion.

Thanks for the feedback!

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
There is no mention of polishing the inside of the upper part of the manifold, why?
Isn't there any gain to be had by at least smoothing the upper part also?

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The upper Plenum is a nice casting and cannot be improved with porting. We have considered making a new upper Plenum, but would need to test the results.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456