Gen 4 window scratches

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my side windows tinted yesturday. Wasnt to impressed to find scratcheds on the outside of both windows that wasnt detectable before the tint was installed. There are 4 other vipers parked in the same location, 2009, and 2010 models had same scratches, 2008, no scratches. Has anyone else seen these same marks are there windows. The local body shop feels they can be buffed out. But there must be a retainer in the door that is causing these scratches when the car is driven with the windows down.

I have 400km on the odometer

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful with buffing out glass. If your fingernail catches in the scratch at all, it is probably too deep. I used a chemical glass polishing agent with a high speed buffer and it looked worse after the buffing than before. That polishing compound etches into the surface all right, but your eye can detect any non-flatness in the surface of the glass, and it causes small optical distortions looking out through the glass. Not recommended. This was not on my Viper, fortunately. It appeared that a small bit of rock had gotten into the outer rubber seal of the side glass.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the weird part is its on passenger and driver side windows all 3 cars, same dimensions in the exact same spot.

Sonoman..the scratches are a couple inches below the area of the rubber seal. I believe there is something in the door that touches the window to "retain" it from rattling with the window fully down.

Ive know every inch of this car after drooling over it since I bought it in October. I'm guessing there are a ton of windows out there with the same mark, but if the windows are not tinted, you wont see them unless your looking for it.

Last edited:

stemal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same problem with my 06 convertible, it seems to be the "rubber" in the center, that guides the window inside the door.
My Guess is, it gets dirty after a wille and it scratches the glass when it goes up and down.
Does anyone as a fix?
:mad:

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the culprit, hard plastic, add dirt and vibration and the result is a messed up window. Plan of attack, body shop will remove what they can, and dress each side with mole skin and see if minimizes additional damage. Part #11

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 51

stemal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank's man, after tacking the door appart that was the only logic solution
I came up with too.
We'll se if it works.
:)

Latest posts