European Gen IV versions?

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I'm shopping around for a Gen 3 or 4 Viper, and I noticed 2008-2010 Vipers seem to have single intake/throttle bodies, whereas my understanding is that these are Gen 4 Vipers and should have duel again? Is there a known difference between European versions and US versions of the 2008-2010 Vipers? Any idea? I would suppose those 2008-2010s are using the Gen 3. platform (8.3 liter) engine?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Never heard of that before, but I'm not that in the know when it comes to export stuff. Don't suppose you have any links or pictures? I could maybe see them keeping the old engine due to emissions issues or something where it was already certified and they couldn't get the new one approved, but that seems kind of bizarre to me.

OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one for example is for sale and is listed as a 06/2008 ... I see a throttle cable, single-throttle body ... Gen 4s are usually duel throttle body, electronic throttle bodies, etc ... ? None of them list their VINs however ... but they seem to be from legit car dealers. I see no advantage buying a 2008-2010 over a 2003-2006 if that's the case.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a standard Gen III motor to me...except for the K&N.
That's my thought too, but is that normal for 2008s? Was that an option? Or is there a specific European version? I don't see anything a Euro version anywhere. I guess I'll need to get VINs to get more detail.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of a Gen III motor being an option for an European Gen IV...but others who pay more attention to such things might offer different information.

YES...you need to get VIN. If VIN shows it to be 2008 model year, my first guess would be that someone substituted a Gen III motor for the original (blown??) motor.

If th VIN shows 2003, 2004, 2005, or 2006, that the photo would be a correct type motor for those years.

CHECK the VIN'S history very carefully when you get it.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Some countries mess with car info when imported, to include vin#’s. Is this one, no idea. If it’s for sale, there should be a way to contact them. Personally, with the research I’ve done, never seen a Gen 3 motor in a Gen 4 or vice versa from the factory

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either replacement engine, or more likely an '06 or older incorrectly listed as an '08 Look at the build sticker on the drivers door that shows the "MDH"

'08's VIN last 8 digits are "8V200001" If the number is lower than 8, its not an '08

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Can you even put a gen 3 motor in a gen 4? I would think the controllers and stuff would not get along as the gen 4 went full CAN bus and the gen 3 was still the PCI setup. Maybe I'm wrong there though. I know the engine controller itself would have changed at minimum, but I guess that's easy enough to swap with the motor. Just don't know if the BCM would play along and talk to it or not.

OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you even put a gen 3 motor in a gen 4? I would think the controllers and stuff would not get along as the gen 4 went full CAN bus and the gen 3 was still the PCI setup. Maybe I'm wrong there though. I know the engine controller itself would have changed at minimum, but I guess that's easy enough to swap with the motor. Just don't know if the BCM would play along and talk to it or not.

Well, you can swap anything technically -- pulling the ECU and motor of a Gen 3 (and supporting assessors) would probably be an easy swap. However, there are too many of them I see in Europe to be rebuilds this way. Either the information about the car is wrong (more likely wrong year listed), or there really is a seperate EDM model using Gen 3. engines in Gen 4. cars ... seems unlikely though. I will do my homework for sure before pulling the trigger, but hard to do remotely unless I'm ready to pull the trigger (don't want to be a tire kicker).

Last edited: