Gen 5 factory wheel PSI

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recently got the LO TIRE warning on my dash.
I'm currently at 29 PSI on all 4 corners with the 2013 SRT Viper Sidewinder II wheels and Gen 5 TPMS sensors running Michelin PSS tires.
I'm not sure this would make a difference (Gen 5 PSI) since the Gen 3 factory setting is 29 PSI and the Gen 5 sensors should be able to sync with no issues but does the Gen 5 have a higher PSI setting if so, would it make a difference on a Gen 3 tripping the LO TIRE warning. Is there a reset procedure?
Thanks

Demoe

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 3 is not compatible with the Gen 5 sensors. They are two completely different TPMS sensors. I don't even run sensors in my Gen 3, because I got rid of the run-flats anyways. It will be pretty obvious when you have a low tire, on non-runflats. I just live with the LO TIRE on my odometer, no biggie. The only fix is to replace those Gen 5 sensors with Gen 3 sensors.

For other information, the Gen 5 will show the low tire pressure error at 25 psi.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told these sensors would sync right up. I guess I wasted my money.
Thanks Nine Ball.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear...but you've been had. At least one well known parts seller has offered the same sensors to one of my Regional Members...but, fortunately, said Member was "steered" to Luke at TireRack for the correct sensors (at half the price!!!).

Make no mistake...Gen III Viper tire pressure sensors will not reset automatically...it takes a DRB III.
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a pic of the correct sensor just in case you choose to remove the non-functioning ones that you have.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is this well-known parts seller? I think others would appreciate knowing who not to trust...

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear...but you've been had. At least one well known parts seller has offered the same sensors to one of my Regional Members...but, fortunately, said Member was "steered" to Luke at TireRack for the correct sensors (at half the price!!!).

Make no mistake...Gen III Viper tire pressure sensors will not reset automatically...it takes a DRB III.
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a pic of the correct sensor just in case you choose to remove the non-functioning ones that you have.

Steve,
I guess the question now is, Will the Gen 3 TPMS sensors fit the Gen 5 Sidewinder wheel's profile.

Demoe

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hello Steve,
Here's my email address [email protected]
Thanks

Demoe

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You have e-mail...BIG file, great detail !!

Admittedly, honest mistakes can be made by anyone. Hopefully, you might be able to work something out with your supplier as you will need to remove first set of sensors, install correct ones...and, re-balance tire/wheel. Said process is about $25.00 per wheel here in Indy by a great shop. And, YES, same thing has happened to another Member, in which case, we "worked it out" so that owner and installer were out nothing. Good luck.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of my TPMS resources are saying 2003-2010 Gen 3 and 4 are the same sensors. Which would make sense because the body/chassis are identical.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning I increased the tire pressure to 38 PSI and briefly disconnected the battery (5 min.) to see if the computer would reset and reprogram/sync the new TMPS sensors. I'm back down to 30 PSI after connecting the battery and the LO TIRE warning has gone away. I'll report back if it returns after running a few errands since the sensors are activated once the wheels are rotating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave