Gen 5 Supplier Changes: Oil and tires...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that SRT is now using Pirelli tires and Pennzoil for the Viper. Looks like Mobil and Michellin lost the bid. Don't most people on here hate Pirelli's? Were you surprised at the change.

Not surprised by Pennzoil as it is the sponsor for the Viper Cup series.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pennzoil is owned by Shell, who is majorly affiliated wit Ferrari/Fiat and the racing program. Pirelli is an Italian company...enough said.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pennzoil is owned by Shell, who is majorly affiliated wit Ferrari/Fiat and the racing program. Pirelli is an Italian company...enough said.

What he said. As silly as it sounds I was a little upset by the change but only due to the fact that they were the original suppliers from the beginning of the Viper. Change has come and I welcome the two new suppliers and can't wait to see what the changes will bring. :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand, Ralph ran that ralley in Nova Scotia with Pirelli supplied tires to get first hand experience in how they performed at speed on open roads, high speeds, wet and cold conditions in addition to gravel and mud caked roads. Sure his impressions were paramount in deciding if changing was in Vipers best interests.

Was told Pirelli has come up with two unique tire sets for Viper. They have specialized tread compounds and construction, similar to what Michelin did for us.

There will be a street optimized compound and a track optimized compound available at launch for the Race and Street versions.

Would not be to quick to challenge their hard work until the initial reviews are posted. Think we will be OK in this area.

Both front and rear tires on Gen V will be significantly wider than on previous generations.

New suspension, along with stiffer body construction should allow these new, wider, tires to perform at a higher level than earlier Vipers.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear tires will be significantly wider? What the heck are they going to? 345 is pretty damn wide!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mobil 1 dropped Chrysler when the whole bankruptcy went down

Yep, the switch was a couple years ago. My dealer been using Pennzoil in the Viper and SRT8 for a couple years, and and..gues what.... the cars run great, LOL.

As for the tires - will Michelin step up and make the Pilot Supersport in the new size?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10millimeters diff? significant is not the word that comes to mind...

355 does sound cool tho

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I for one do not welcome the change to Pirelli. They are NOTORIOUS for their tires running a hell of a lot narrower than everyone else. Case in point, compare a pirelli 345/25/20 to a Michelin 335/30/20... tell me which one is actually wider.

Pirelli 375/20/21: Tread width is about 13.5
Kumho 375/20/21: Tread width is about 14.1

Same tire? Yeah, right. They probably needed to go to a 355 to match the Michelin width.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post Final GTS. I remember hearing something like that a while back. So, maybe it is bigger and maybe the bigger size to stay about the same as Michelin.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda confused by the Michelin sticker on the new GTS-R:dunno:

Dunlop, Falken,Yokohama and Michelin are the only choices. Unless Pirelli steps up and trys to develop a race tire for the car. BUT, even the EM Patron 458's run Michelins

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4