Gen 5 Up for Motor Trend's Best Drivers Car 2013

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should win, as long as they do not test a white car. White is a very slow color.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope they do not use a Yellow 2013 Viper for the evaluation.... Yellow is known to be much slower than the other colors.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, if they use a Yellow Viper but it has Black stripes then it should be OK. The stripes always make a car go faster. Proven science.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually, I forgot.... hope the car also has black wheels. Black wheels are proven to be the fastest in testing compared to chrome and machine finish wheels.... Fingers crossed.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on their preview video where they claimed to have melted paint and then a review video where they complained they couldn't get a TA, I have a strong feeling we won't like what they say in this series or where it places. I'm betting a 10 page thread in response.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on their preview video where they claimed to have melted paint and then a review video where they complained they couldn't get a TA, I have a strong feeling we won't like what they say in this series or where it places. I'm betting a 10 page thread in response.

I say 5 pages tops... how much do you want to bet and will you take paypal ?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will never win. If they test a Viper TA in this competition it will probably be the best laptime-wise etc but lose on some other subjective nonsense like trunk space etc.

I saw what they did with the old ACR that dominated the numbers game but lost the drivers car title IIRC.

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car finishes in the top 5, it would be a major victory. Polarizing cars rarely do very well in competitions like this (look at the Aventador in 2012), where consensus is the key to a high score. The Viper traditionally finished either last or near the bottom in past comparison tests of this type (best all around what-ever), in spite of a few die-hard journalist who couldn't be pried out of the car (like Andrew Bornhop in a 1998 test) and loved it.

If it moved up to mid-pack or better, it would be a big change and say a lot about mainstream impressions of the new car. Just my thoughts...

-Nick

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the round table discussion for why which cars were chosen for the test they picked apart how they were given a base SRT and not a TA or GTS. I don't think that bodes well for a high finish.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is a really subjective sort of thing anyway. One person's description of a "driver's car" might be that it always feels in control, another might be that you feel connected to every part of the car, yet another that the car is just downright fast. I always had the impression that the Viper falls into the "connected" category in that it's all manual controls with little to no computer interference (up till now at least).

Frankly, driving the Viper to me is scary at times because it doesn't really feel like I'm pushing it until it lets go. I don't necessarily feel like I'm really loading up the outside on a hard corner, but with just a touch more throttle or steering it starts sending the back end around. It feels really composed all the time and then just suddenly turns off the traction. Do I consider it good that it never feels stressed? In a certain sense yes because it means the car should be pretty darn quick in the right hands, but on the other hand you always have that nagging feeling of "will it let go"?

One interesting thing I've found though is that the ABS system is very non-intrusive feeling on my 04. I'm used to hearing the really loud growl and noticeable pulsing on the pedal when the system activates in other cars, but half the time if I hammer down on the brakes I can barely tell if it's on because it's so subtle. I think the new car's traction control is supposed to be like that from what I've heard in reviews. It's there in the background but doesn't shout in your face when you do something past the limits. It helps to keep that "connected" feel without being too imposing, which I think helps it in the "driver's car" race.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we all know that Motor Trend loves the gen 5 viper so much;) whats the odds of it winning :eater:

http://youtu.be/0NkZPGiBJH0
Best Drivers Car does not mean the FASTEST car for the test. Im sure MT will do a thorough test of these cars with a complete breakdown, scoring, and opinion for just that, an all around Best Drivers Car. My gut feeling will be the BMW as an all out winner. NOT the fastest. The BMW always scores high in all out testing. And no, I do not own one. Porsche should be high on their list too.

Last edited:

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope they do not use a Yellow 2013 Viper for the evaluation.... Yellow is known to be much slower than the other colors.

Sorry, dude, not in this lifetime. Yellow be the fastest fellow :drive: but it require the black stripes and shoes

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More of a weekend toy than a drivers car. Friday was the first & probably last time I'd take it to the office. Not getting out of 1st and 2nd in the city was not cool.

Granturismo Sport, Bentley CGT, GT-R, R8 and even the SLS are all better choices for a daily super car. My opinion only.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More of a weekend toy than a drivers car. Friday was the first & probably last time I'd take it to the office. Not getting out of 1st and 2nd in the city was not cool.

Granturismo Sport, Bentley CGT, GT-R, R8 and even the SLS are all better choices for a daily super car. My opinion only.
I don't think you understand the full meaning of "drivers car" :)

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me it means, well, to drive it. Every day. As a daily driver. 12-15,000 miles per year. And for me that's not the V.

What do you take "driver's car" to mean?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, "drivers car" is about the emotions you feel when behind the wheel of a vehicle. Is it boring? Does it challenge your skill? Does it scare you? Does it provide thrills, or yawns? Does it engage you? If it simply just looks cool, but feels numb to drive, then I would rank it far lower on the scale. It would be very difficult for me to pick any vehicle with an automatic transmission as a "drivers vehicle", regardless of how quick they are, or what track times they put down. The Nissan GT-R bores me to drive, even though it is fast. Just an example.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, "drivers car" is about the emotions you feel when behind the wheel of a vehicle. Is it boring? Does it challenge your skill? Does it scare you? Does it provide thrills, or yawns? Does it engage you? If it simply just looks cool, but feels numb to drive, then I would rank it far lower on the scale. It would be very difficult for me to pick any vehicle with an automatic transmission as a "drivers vehicle", regardless of how quick they are, or what track times they put down. The Nissan GT-R bores me to drive, even though it is fast. Just an example.

that's exactly how I feel about most women..... do they scare me ? if yes then it is a GO ,....

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

... What do you take "driver's car" to mean?

"Drivers Car", [drahy-vers kahr]

noun;
- The absence of nannies which do the thinking for the intended manipulator of the cars movements
- A vehicle that not only allows but rather mandates the controlling individual become one with the vehicle so as to "feel" ones way thru the curves, instinctively knowing when to accelerate, when to brake and having an innate sense of how much of each should be implemented
- A vehicle that rewards the driver with an experience that can only be achieved one way, commonly referred to as "drivers experience"
- A vehicle to respect in massive quantities and still manage to push the limits of said car thus creating an adrenaline rush

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you define a drivers car as something that fits the bill of a Bently, then the Viper isn't it. For me, a Lexus / BMW provides a great ride, but they are rather boring to drive. Nice, but boring.

If you define a drivers car as something that is a BLAST to drive that requires you to be engaged, IMO doesn't get much better than the Viper.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A drivers car is simply a car that you would NEVER EVER want to be a passenger in.... an that is the gen5 Viper.... that is unless the seat has a plastic covering for when you poop in your pants from all the excitement..

End of definition... no other car on the list qualifies. Period.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well MT already picked the Mercedes SLS black series over the SRT Viper, so I don't see how the viper could win. Would of been nice if it was atleast the GTS or TA model so it would be a little different.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think the Viper will win, please go die somewhere, lol. The Ford Focus ST has more votes than the Viper. Jesus, I don't know what's right anymore. Every time they test the Viper, the car ***** just a little more. I wonder what Ralph thinks inside? Can't be good, to see the best that you have to offer get pounded in every comparison. Oh well. Poor Viper.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

great reply

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21