Gen 5 Up for Motor Trend's Best Drivers Car 2013

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pobst just ran the SLS 1 second faster again. Given that Viper has run almost the exact same time on both occasions which is over 2 seconds slower than the last time MotorTrend tested all the Vipers I have to think there may actually be something wrong with the Viper SRT sent for testing.

I'm not envious of the SLS though. I know the Gen V has proven itself to be faster, but I have to admit that I'd love for SRT to offer that yellow as Stryker Yellow or something.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well MT already picked the Mercedes SLS black series over the SRT Viper, so I don't see how the viper could win. Would of been nice if it was atleast the GTS or TA model so it would be a little different.

If you *know* your car - no matter how great will end up in the bottom because it isn't as "great" as the super refined cars like the SLS black, why would you send out your best?

To me, it is smart for them to send the base. Because, even if it comes in 3rd to last, it is perhaps the best it could do all around - no matter if it were TA / GTS.

People would lash SRT for sending the decked out GTS and it coming in 3rd to last. IMHO, a smart move by SRT.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you *know* your car - no matter how great will end up in the bottom because it isn't as "great" as the super refined cars like the SLS black, why would you send out your best?

To me, it is smart for them to send the base. Because, even if it comes in 3rd to last, it is perhaps the best it could do all around - no matter if it were TA / GTS.

People would lash SRT for sending the decked out GTS and it coming in 3rd to last. IMHO, a smart move by SRT.

That's a great point and I didn't think of it that way.

But if they are really playing it that safe why send a viper in the first place? Using that logic, SRT supporters could just say the viper would have won if it competed? :dunno:

Personally I think it would be cool to see what a T/A could do against the competition.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAMIT !!! Why did SRT give them a WHITE Viper for testing !!??!! EVERYONE knows that white is a SLOW color !! .

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id add that a drivers car makes you feel at one with the car, like you are wearing it like a suit. Its an extension of you and your skills. YOU are the one making the car do what it does, and you are rewarded with a sense of accomplishment. That type of vehicle allows YOU to drive the car and not a computer to correct this or that etc. Not knocking cars that are heavily computer assisted. I like them a lot too. But they are not true drivers cars imho.

Anyway, while I will never fully understand SRT's marketing dept decissions in regard to the Gen 5 to this point, I'd imagine a switch of tires is all thats needed for the regular Vipers to compete with the SLS AMG etc and would definitely improve the cars feel, handling and braking overall. They are already in striking distance of the SLS despite no aero and lesser rubber if memory serves. IMHO I think the Viper would shine better on a track like VIR than on Laguna Seca.

I remember Ralph saying not long ago that the Vipers suspension wasnt setup for rougher surfaced tracks so its not going to be at its best on a track like Laguna if its as rough as Randy says. Maybe Car and Driver will do a Lightening Lap with a G5 like they did with the ACR that dominated all comers save the ringer Mosler, a few years ago.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, has any Viper ever been well regarded in reviews throughout all the generations? As I recall, pretty much everyone agrees that they are rough and tumble cars that are not for the faint of heart. The original may have brought high praise just because it was such a mold breaker back in its day and so uncompromising (which was seen as refreshing with the econo cars of the day), but people have complained that the cars have stayed that way. I don't really see that as a problem. Most people here have bought one regardless of the reviews, so obviously they don't care that they ride hard, have hot cabins, sometimes require earplugs to drive, etc. The car was built and sold on the premise of no compromise, so now people complain when they stick to their guns?

I understand technology is good and here to stay, but that doesn't mean that you absolutely have to have it for a new car to be "good". Sure it might not be as fast as it could be with electronic controls and gizmos like active aero and E diffs, but it's fun to think that all this time Viper has competed without those. They've managed to perform surgery with a hammer and butter knife over a scalpel and still succeeded. Is my 67 Dart with no A/C or power anything better than a brand new Challenger with all the bells and whistles? Heck no from almost any standpoint, but I'd still rather drive it because of the way it makes me feel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21