Gen 5 Viper lifting tire during Motor Week test??

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the awesome review that Motorweek did on the new Gen 5. I think those guys actually get it.

One thing I noticed was how much the passenger side rear tire was coming off the ground when making right turns, not completely off the ground but I would guess about 50% of the outer tread. Is this an optical illusion or is it really moving that much? I've had performance cars that would lift the inside front tire on certain corners, but I've never noticed the rear moving that much. Look at 1:31 and 4:48 of the video. The car looked very planted and stable during transitions, so maybe this is more common than I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQSY7Cu0og

Any thoughts from road racers out there??

George

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's because the tire needs such a thick and stiff belt for its speed rating and width, that while under heavy cornering the side wall is flexing and twisting pulling the tread up, instead of the tread rolling and alittle coming up, its behaving more like picking up one end of a pipe. I think maybe a stronger sidewall will help or fix it.
sorry its alittle jumbled up, I hope yall still get my theory though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very wide, stiff tire. Not out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you, but what seemed different was as the suspension unloaded the tire seemed to gain negative camber. I'm not sure what the camber curve is on the new Gen 5, but most cars I've worked on go positive camber as the suspension droops. I've watched a lot of the ACR-X Viper Cup races and can't remember seeing a rear tire move off the asphalt that much.

I wonder if any of the ACR-X racers might chime in here and let us know if they have any data showing the rear tires coming off the ground that much.....maybe this is normal :dunno:

Cheers,
George

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn! I thought I was the only one that saw that. Thought I was going crazy. I would have to agree that maybe the camber was in question or maybe just suspension balance.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could the stiff frame be the cause as well? I mean, if you have a vehicle that has flex to it, wouldn't it "stick" a bit more as well to the ground?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This issue is a red herring. There is absolutely no issue whether or not all 4 tires are flat on the ground. What matters is how many G's are being achieved around the corner, and the speed achieved.

It does not mean that the alignment/suspension/frame or anything else is out of whack.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i see in the video the cars suspension is to soft and looks like it needs stiffer sway bars so it doesn't have as much body roll. Then it would lay flat and handle better.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the early VW GTIs would have the rear outer wheel way up in the air on the skid pad tests.? Funny to look at, but it worked.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i see in the video the cars suspension is to soft and looks like it needs stiffer sway bars so it doesn't have as much body roll. Then it would lay flat and handle better.

Great input ! We should make sure that gets back to the SRT engineers in case they hadn't considered that in their design ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 AZTVR, LMAO :)

And maybe srt will redesign our car with the suspension travel & stiffness of an ALMS racecar leaving all of us that drive on anything but above average smooth roads with a teeth chattering harsh ride.
...actually i personally prob wouldnt mind that. Lol

All, take a look at the pics in this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/#threads/662412-On-the-track

Last edited: