Gen I alarm issue, car won't start

Ryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help with my dad's car, it's 1993 RT. Yesterday he brought it out and did his typical saturday drive, probably 20-30 miles, shut it off in the driveway. When he went back out a little while later and tried to start it, the alarm set light came on and now the car won't start. His remotes don't work for some reason, even with new batteries. I've tried the off-acc 3x, 4x, and 5 times without results. I did a search on the forums about it ( about 3 hours worth) and found a couple things that I haven't tried. One mentioned disconnecting the battery and then grounding the + cable to the frame, and another post mentioned a common color wire (I'm not going to say it) under the dash somewhere that was to be grounded momentarily?
The battery is about a 12-15 months old, last time it happened he ended up having it towed to the dealer and they supposedly disabled it (obviously not since the car is DOA).
Dad isn't particularly mechanically inclined, his normal resolution method for mechanical issues involves his picking up the phone and calling me for help.
If someone could either PM me with some suggestions or the location of the wire it would be greatly appreciated. I live about 20 miles from my dad and don't have immediate access to the car. Although, I can run up there if I can get some rapid help.
I'd like to be able to get the car started without another round of towing it to the dealer, which will probably happen tomorrow if it's nice out.. Dad pouts like a little kid that just had his favorite toy taken away, when he can't just run out and just look at the car, much less not having it around when he wants to go out for a ride.
IF there's an easy work around I can call him to try it, but he's getting older and a life time of sports has left him with knee and hip issues. So pulling the battery would mean me running up there. depending on the wire location he might be able to do that one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, thank you so very much for your help in walking me through the reset procedure.
Both myself and my dad really appreciate your kindness and in your taking time to help us.
When you said to give it a try, dad walked back out to the garage as I started the car, his eyes lit up like a little kid that just got his dream Christmas present, seeing and hearing his car running.
It was very nice speaking with you this evening. Again, thank you so very much for your help.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are very welcome, Ryan...it was a pleasure to speak with you.

The Viper Nations sticks together !!!!

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are very welcome, Ryan...it was a pleasure to speak with you.

The Viper Nations sticks together !!!!

Steve any chance of a write up on the proceedure as it would be handy to keep with the manual just in case.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hello, Leatherman. While I am happy to help folks in need at anytime, I am sorry to say that I am rather "old school" (in ideas and age), and, therefore, feel that this info should be used on an individual "as necessary" basis rather than posted in a public forum for all to see... where a few might potentially exploit said info to the disadvantage of the Viper's REAL owner. This has been the general consensus here for many years as well.

While the GenI (especially 92, 93) and Gen II (easily thru 99) "tricks" are not secret ( as they are published in specific manuals...though NOT in the Service Manuals), I feel that there are enough folks here who can help anyone in any location at about anytime. I have had some calls at odd hours from around the globe on more than one occasion. Most of us "take-a-wild-guess-helpers" try to do a little subtle (or not so subtle) screening of the caller while deciding on just how to approach a suspected alarm issue that has possibly activated a shutdown mode. If I am uneasy, I'll just pass, and suggest a trip to a dealer...though, as you know, in some locations, that's not a viable option. As I personally hate a ride on a flat bed for ANY Viper, I usually try to help. I am quite "findable".

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leatherman, there's an edited comedic version of it here http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/622014-gen-1-alarm-question-just-case.html

I believe that Steve-Indy's reasons behind checking on the requesting persons identity are quite valid as the work around could be used by persons of less than honorable intent. In the future, if it falls upon me to pass the knowledge that Steve passed on to me, I also will do everything I can to satisfy myself that the requestor really is the rightful owner before passing the info.
I also believe that in my case, I was helped because there was an ample time delay between speaking with Steve and passing some personal info and being near the car. That I knew a few details specific to that particular year of the car, and most importantly, that my dad and Steve-Indy have a mutual acquaintance in a local Viper shop owner that could verify ownership. In my case, I believe that between my two calls with Steve, given the info I passed that Steve would have been able to call the shop owner, and match the personal info to the car.

Last edited:

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve / Ryan I fully understand the reasoning and totally agree now that you have explained it.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve,

How can I contact you? My '97 won't start and I think I may have tripped the alarm and want to try to reset it.

Robert

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the idea of getting locked out of my car when I have the key in my hand!! For the reason stated in this thread I'm a bit concerned about this happening to me... May I ask: What conditions must be met to cause the alarm system to lockout the ignition?

I love a puzzle. Maybe I'll hit the books and see if I can discover the secret reset.

edit: I figured it out because I have the proper reading material and know how to read between the lines. Thanks MW for all the stuff that came with my '94!!

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummm... I didn't actually look at my car. I generally prefer to keep my feet under the dash... not my back! The materials I have relate to '93. Don't know what may have changed??

I hope I don't have to call you too after fat-********* something I should've left alone!!! LOL.......!?!

- J

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...
Steve, you've got my interest. I think I know what to do to disable the SAM on my '94. I have the service tech manuals for my car including the body electrical diagnostics ... I don't know about any other years. The only vipers I've owned are gen 1s.....
I don't want to test my knowledge as I'm thinking about switching some wires around and I'm happy with them just the way they are.

Glad I know where to call if I ever have an issue. Some mysteries are not meant to be solved.....

-J

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided to play with my alarm system today. I found the unused DO connected to my "extra"(trunk open) remote button.. I wonder what to do with it???? hummm... I also went through the drawings and located the ckts., hardware...and successfully "disarmed" my car today!! Humm.... I don't care!!!! I'm not a CAR THIEF!!!!! ('nuff said):nono:

What was this thread about???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, that settles it Jim...next electrical problem that I have, I'm calling you!!!

Very nice "introduction" post above... this is a great bunch of folks...lots of good info!!!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX Steve, I still wonder a bit about your solution... I imagine it's something really easy that can be done without breaking my back ... something like closing my eyes and and repeating an incantation...!! LOL.. I doubt I'll ever know....

- J

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It is "down under"...in the "tunnel of hell"...at least for us older geezers.

If you get bored, call me, and I'll confirm what you have already determined.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I use the trunk button to drive a door popper. Purchase for about $25, install in door, run wire to alarm box and never have to unzip the curtains. It also becomes a panic button - pop open the door without disarming the alarm and it goes off.

On really cold days not only is the vinyl stiff and perhaps prone to breaking, you probably have a coat on and the sleeve get hung on the zipper. The door popper becomes second nature. Just make sure you run a ground wire into the cabin and don't rely on the grounding through the door hinge. Sometimes it won't open the door until you push on it a little. One of the better upgrades I have done.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a strange dream last night... I'd hooked the output up to a speaker/qizmo that said "please, that's not my good side" when I hit the button.

You see, the other day I walked out of a store to find a guy taking it's picture.. he had no idea I was right behind him... kinda funny, actually.

I like your idea better Tom....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine