Gen I and Gen II (BIG picture)

Vipuurantae

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pic. The red and yellow combination looks great. It is hard to see the difference betweeen the two but they almost look the same from any view. It takes a careful look to see the difference.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While JonB (and several others) can point out the many other differences between Gen I and Gen II, there are two other big ones (besides the exhaust) that stand out and are not seen in the picture:

1. The hood. On the Gen I they have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

2. The engine! The majority of reference to "Gen I and Gen II" refer to engine changes as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower: The latter Gen I was rated at 415 and the Gen II is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

That said, I can tell you that both are a blast to drive. I drove my first Gen I (and first RT/10) a couple weeks ago and I had a great time. I have offered to trade my Gen II for his Gen I (for the weekend, of course) anytime! You can't go wrong with any Viper. Period.

Chris

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In addition to many mechanical changes, there are lots of changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2 Rt/10 you can easily spot. Windows, airbags, steering wheel, differential housing, even how you open the door. And the really big difference: the spedo increased to 200 mph... (Since the 96 rt/10 had rear exhaust and 5 spoke wheels I didn't list them as Generation changes.) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MKIV Supra:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I've never seen the difference between the two generations.
You must be registered for see images
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Those are Belenger 3" catback exhaust tips.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that the BTR setup? Looks awesome!
You must be registered for see images

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust tips are interesting, I don't believe I've seen them that long before. A little bit too long for me but still very nice.

Great picture,
Tom

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are your guys blind or what,most obvious are the 4x4 visors in the gen II,They really bad,actually I heard their from a caravan parts bin.Thanks to JOHN B "parts rack" my 99 R/T look normal.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the various questions on this thread:
* The yellow RT has the BTR Viper-sourced Belanger exhaust with Power Effects mufflers.
* The red RT's license plate is a subtle reference that I'm sure Tom will explain.
* There are a bunch of other pictures in that directory for those interested -- if you want to see all of them (and have the bandwidth) you can check this link.
* The pictures were taken with a Nikon D1 and Nikon 28-70 f2.8 AFS-ED lens at 'medium' compression.

Reaction score
escapist13,

The license plate, "2GTURTL" stands for "2nd Generation Turtle." In 1983 a world famous commodities trader named Richard Dennis trained 12 traders his method and swore them all to secrecy for 10 years. He had already made over $200 million himself, and the 12 traders, nicknamed "The Turtles", averaged about 100% over the next four years and made him $175 million. Some of them retired from trading altogether, the other 6-8 went on to manage other peoples' money, and now manage about $2 billion.

When one of the originals trains someone else as a protege, they are considered a "Second Generation Turtle" in the industry. I have been trained by the most successful Turtle of the original group, and moved to Palo Alto to assist him trade a private hedge fund.

Meeting Ben a.k.a. "Treynor" was a blast. Those pictures! His camera is great!

Regards,

Tom