Gen I head gasket ?'s

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen I head gasket ?\'s

While doing an oil change this weekend guess what I saw on a friend's car? (Garage Queen Gen I with original everything). They are just starting to weep down the block, maybe 2 inches or so and then burning off. Very very minimal, nothing like a drip, but it has definitely begun. Obviously they need replaced. What is the standard progression over time. Could he wait 6-12 months and ship the car to Chuck T. to get them replaced and hopefully add some goodies like a Roe blower. He was wondering if he can get in another 3,000 miles or so over the next year. Just street miles no racing. Is he risking anything by continuing to drive it and let it get worse. When the gaskets fail, are they normally leaking coolant externally, or is there a high probability of contaminating the oil/cylinders? If coolant did get in the motor would they have to send it to Arrow for a rebuild?
Thanks..KW

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Gen I head gasket ?\'s

Mine let go over night on my Gen 1. I checked for the weeping at least twice a week. Nevery saw anything, then one day I pulled into a store and when I came out I had coolant everywhere. I know that I had checked within the previous few days. You could have 100's of miles or the next time you go for a drive.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have recently asked this question of a couple folks, one very reputable Viper Tech, and a Dealer Service Writer who deals with Vipers...Both very different answers, but net net is, get it looked at right away, even if the timing is not good...

THe Viper Tech told me he has seen then weap slowly, with no damage over time by waiting, and he has seen them let go quickly...SO best to take care of it as soon as you detect leakage...As I am sure you know, you have to make sure you don't let the engine overheat, in the even of coolant loss...The Service writer quoted me a case (which he was personally involved in) where an owner knew of the problem, and decided to wait till the time was more convenient. You can guess this one...Owner did loose coolant, engine overheated, and claim was denied because owner did not act appropriately when he/she (?) knew of a problem existing.

Tomer

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At what mileage does this typically occur? I just bought a 93 with 8K miles on it and the individual I bought it from bought it with 7,000 miles and never knew of any issues with the head gaskets, therefore he has no idea if it has been replaced. My question is, with the mileage on the car would it have likely been replaced and is there anyway I can tell if it has? How much (on average) does it cost to replace them?

Thanks.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Shanedog:

You can go to a Dodge dealer and have them look up your VIN to see if it was done under warranty. Only warranty work will show up in history. Head gasket issue seems to be "luck or un-luck" of-the-draw issue. Don't know if anyone has put odds on gasket failure - but 50-50 might be a good guess. Dealer cost to replace - $1500-$2000. Cost to buy head gaskets from Arrow - $200.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Rocket

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Shanedog:

You can go to a Dodge dealer and have them look up your VIN to see if it was done under warranty. Only warranty work will show up in history. Head gasket issue seems to be "luck or un-luck" of-the-draw issue. Don't know if anyone has put odds on gasket failure - but 50-50 might be a good guess. Dealer cost to replace - $1500-$2000. Cost to buy head gaskets from Arrow - $200.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Rocket

It will eventually happen to all Gen 1 cars give it enough time and mileage, their is no 50-50, It is more like, has already happened/hasnt happened yet. It is a paper gasket and given enough time on that motor, It will erode. The replacment paper gasket might be $200 from Arrow, but the three layer metal replacement gasket that solves the problem not just put it off again is 700-1200 dollars depending on where you buy it, Arrow charges 850ish. whitch is close to cost on the item.

Mine went at 33K

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lost mine at 30k or so. I understand that some of the Gen I's had "liner creep" where the cylinder liners moved up a bit in the block, and cause the gasket issues.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB sells the metal gaskets for around $700 for the kit. If you want the old style I have a set I'll sell for $125.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 94rt/10 with the same slow leak. I would like to upgrade to the new metalic gaskets. Anything I should know about before hand?
Thanks!

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since half of the cost of replacing the gaskets is labor from pulling the heads, I had stage 2 heads and Jesel roller rockers installed at the same time. Of course this meant that I could benefit from less back pressure so I had belanger headers installed as well. Then it seemed silly to do the heads without a cam swap so before you know it, the engine was pulled. Just before it was reinstalled, I went with an aluminum flywheel. Thus a simple $2000 gasket replacement turned into a $11,000 make-over.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A has been said before.....a ticking time bomb just waiting...........

A "real garage queen" GEN1 should HAVE only 3k on the clock or take AT LEAST 6 more years to aquire that kind of miles! LOL!!!!!