Gen II 2000 front pad replacement

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read on this forum it is not necessary to unbolt caliper when replacing front pads. Simply remove two pins and pull out pads. When installing new pads how would you depress caliper pistons this way?

I will most likely need to remove calipers since pads are quite worn. Anybody know torque settings on caliper bolts? My Ram truck is around 15 lbs.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Leave the calipers in place. Remove one pad, use wooden or plastic trim stick between the pistons and the rotor to gently push the pistons back. Install new pad, then repeat process on remaining old pad. I usually open the brake fluid reservoir cap and remove the some fluid before pushing the pistons back. Others open the bleeder screw and vent into a bottle through a hose. Finally, bleed whole system, test brakes carefully, then bed as directed.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Steve. Replace one at a time, interesting. I supposed a wooden paint stir stick would fit in that area. I've always used a C-clamp on my other vehicles because it does take a bit of force to push pistons back. However I'll certainly give it a try. I purchased EBC red stuff pads and hope they don't dust up as bad as OEM.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes sense using old pad for piston push back. I suppose you would use a large flat screw driver with a tiny piece of wood behind it using rotor for leverage to push back pistons. The small piece of wood will stop any scaring of rotor from screw driver leverage.

My new EBC red pads have some kind of a pig tail attached. My guess you cut that off.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Replaced front pads without issues thanks to your instructions. I was able to apply enough pressure with fingers to depress pistons on front side of caliper and used old pad (as suggested) for engine side of caliper. I'm glad caliper did not have to come off vehicle. I have 34K miles on my GTS with OEM Brembo's about 75% worn. Hope EBC red pads live up to their reputation. This winter I will replace rear pads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456