GEN II aftermarket hard tops?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that both the hard and soft tops that came with my 2001 RT/10 look like crap on the viper. Sooooo, I've done the proverbial searches and have researched what I've found. I'm looking for an aftermarket hardtop that can be stored in the trunk. I'm 5' 10" tall, so I don't require a bubble top that increases height...don't prefer the look either. I'm currently interested in this...it has been recommended by two VCA members...

Mach 7 Motor Sports trunktop

You must be registered for see images

picture.php

I've looked at the following websites:

PartsRack...bubbles...no trunk storage

Daves Big Brakes...nothing

AutoForm...bubbles...no trunk storage

Snake-Oyl Products...nothing

The Viper Store.com...sells the Mach 7 Motor Sports trunktop for more $

Racing Solutions...sells AutoForm products

Zero Altitude Flight...nothing

R&J Distributing...nothing

Viper Parts - Larry...nothing

Does anyody know of any more site sponsors or sites that might have something similiar to what I'm looking for? I like the one pictured above, but I just wanted to get a feel for all the options available.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Lemke is the only one that makes a three piece top tha I know of, but it is very well done. You probably will still need to lower your seat. I did and I'm only 5'9". You probably can get away with the 1" drop kit.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If times were a bit better, we were going to go with a Jeff Lemke top ourselves for our Vert. ~juli
(Would've had to have it painted/striped at SnakePit Performance...SOMEDAY!)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, Jeff is the only one on the market that makes a "flush" hard top for our cars...he is also the only one that makes a hard top that will store in the trunk. I have his 1 peice and LOVE IT! You won't be sorry...the fit and finish and all the tweaking options makes it one heck of a fit!

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto. The 3-piece top is the best thing I've gotten for my car (until my ROE arrives next week)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did all of you guys with Jeff's top lower your seats? I'm 5'11" and am planning on getting one, I just hadn't considered the need to lower my seat.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This picture looks familiar but I just can't put my finger on it....

You must be registered for see images

Yep, that was it!

I'm a definite fan of the top. At less than 6' I don't believe there is a need for a seat lowering kit. I'm 6'3" and definitely considering it.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...Yeah that does look familar! Oh wait!! That's my car!!!

As for seat lowering...I am an average 5'11" and only have a problem if I have sunglasses propped on top of my chrome dome...otherwise I fit just fine.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...Yeah that does look familar! Oh wait!! That's my car!!!

As for seat lowering...I am an average 5'11" and only have a problem if I have sunglasses propped on top of my chrome dome...otherwise I fit just fine.

The car looks good cagleman. I saw the pic and thought it was almost the same angle as one I had taken of mine.

Good luck with the top search Ken.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone take a pic of what it looks like inside? with and without a functional scoop? (Is it recommended to get the scoop, or just leave it unfunctional?)

I'd like to see what kind of material, if any, is between the driver and the roof.... whether it be carpet, or whatever.

Thanks!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone take a pic of what it looks like inside? with and without a functional scoop? (Is it recommended to get the scoop, or just leave it unfunctional?)

I'd like to see what kind of material, if any, is between the driver and the roof.... whether it be carpet, or whatever.

Thanks!

There are some pictures here: Mach 7 Motor Sports of the under side of the top. I have more at home but not on photobucket that I can post right now.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their website has some interior pictures...includes a picture of the airvents... Trunktop interior pictures

I spoke with Jeff earlier in the week and he doesn't really recommend the functional scoop. He stated that some track guys like having it...it won't circulate any air unless the rear window is out or the side windows are down.

It looks like Jason beat me to it by 3 minutes...

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yeah, i did see those pics before.... is it like a plastic? And say the factory hard top is a 2 on the difficulty\speed rating of installing out of 10.... what is the 3 peice aftermarket?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, Jeff is the only one on the market that makes a "flush" hard top for our cars...he is also the only one that makes a hard top that will store in the trunk. I have his 1 peice and LOVE IT! You won't be sorry...the fit and finish and all the tweaking options makes it one heck of a fit!

Any pictures of the one piece from the front that you can share?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their website has some interior pictures...includes a picture of the airvents... Trunktop interior pictures

I spoke with Jeff earlier in the week and he doesn't really recommend the functional scoop. He stated that some track guys like having it...it won't circulate any air unless the rear window is out or the side windows are down.

It looks like Jason beat me to it by 3 minutes...

Hey Ken, what are side windows? :dunno:

:2tu:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long does it take to install and remove the three piece top?

What's the pita factor?

Initially it took me a long time to take it off and put it back on.

Then after a couple tries I got much better at it. I would guess it's 10-15 minutes to install by the time you line it all up and tighten it all down. Taking it off is 5-10 minutes.

It's very straight forward. I have no experience to the OEM soft top so I have nothing to compare to as a pita factor.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Thanks for the nice comments. I have not updated the web site in a while (need to do that!) but the interior finish is nothing like what is shown. Currently, we use a actual automotive headliner across the entire panel. I'll try to post a quick pic.

Jeff

036.JPG

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3 piece master himself is here. When I was Viper shopping I was hoping to find one that came with your top because from my research it seemed like the best on the market. I was not disappointed!

I've been meaning to email you actually. I wanted to see if I could order a new bottom bracket for my drivers side window. It was broken when I bought the car.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I have some pics of the interior of the top as it is installed on my car in my Trunktop photo album if you want other pics. Very professional and clean.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 to 15 minutes to install? Dayum! I can get mine on in about 2 and off in about the same time. Once its set up and tweaked for fitment, its a breeze to get on and off. Biggest thing is you'll lose your trunk when its stowed, but then I don't use my trunk for anything else anyway.

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a Gen II RT (2000 model). What is the weather factor on the three piece hard top? Does it leak? How about wind noise? I spoke with Jeff (via email) he says "It's no Lexus" but a drop of water every now and then may happen. Really appreciate his honesty. I would probably go with the one piece top (I'm vertically challenged and would not need the seat lowering kit).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang