Gen. II Keys $170

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car only came with one set of keys, so I decided to get a backup fob and backup key. The fob was about $60 on Ebay and the key (when I first looked) ran about $35. 2 weeks later the cheapest key I found on Ebay was $60, with The Viper Store being $80 and CHRYSLER wanting $170 (a la Chuck Tator). Another Ebay vendor said this:

"As You probably know Chrysler has pulled the licensing agreement fron the company that made their keys for 40 years,This leaves us with a short supply of all chrysler keys being as they are now a foreign company there's no telling weather or not the key blank mfgr's will ever be re licensed?"

I found a key guy in Canada on Ebay that sold me one for $32 with shipping. I didn't want the extra 2 weeks for customs, but I'll be damned if I'm paying that much for a stupid key.

If you want/need an extra Pete key, I'd do it before they're even harder to come by and you're paying $300 for one.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. But you know the parts ** that I am, I have all of this:

-> Black/grey plastic OE key came with car

-> Red/metal key came with car

-> 2 fobs came with car

-> eBay fob new unprogrammed

-> eBay Red/grey plastic OE key uncut

-> eBay Black/grey plastic OE key uncut

-> eBay metal glovebox key uncut

Think I'm set!

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't screwed with my glovebox on the GTS. Does the ignition key not work, or it does but you just wanna be fancy?

If it DOESN'T work, can a dealership cut one based on a VIN (with proof of ownership of course)?

Man, I need a list of things that SHOULD have come with the car new so I can catch up. Thanks, Dave!

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't be in a rush and keep watching ebay. every now and then you will find some cheap. i have already found them for $20.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that the same key that was used to unlock the RT rear window locks? I found an uncut factory original on Ebay pretty cheap, metal with Pete logo.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it, the metal key is only for the RT10 rear window, and the ignition key (grey, red, blue, etc.) also works the glove box lock. At least, mine does.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Intersting as one year ago you could pick up the keys on ebay for around $17 - 25 easy. I bought 3 of them back then.

Rev

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill just buy a set of later gen keys with the fangs logo, lets see if we can get this started again :)

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, been sidetracked watching first 1/2 BCS game. The ignition key will indeed lock and unlock the glove box on my Viper.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. Mine only came with one key and one fob. I found a guy about a year ago on ebay that was selling the Sneaky Pete keys in all colors for 12 bucks. I bought 3 and had them cut at Ace Hardware for a buck each. Found a nice spare fob on Ebay for 20 bucks. It was easy to program myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang