Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know what factory finishes the '96 and '97 GTS wheels came with?

I know that the '96 are two-piece cast and welded and the '97 are of identical design but single piece forged. But that's all I remember.

I can't readily find the information, thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...and, for those of you with later generation wheels, you might want to read this old thread which is quite interesting:

http://www.viperclub.org/vca/threads/whats-the-finish-on-sidewinders.665367/

Looks definitively like the '96 and '97 wheels would never had had a Durabright finish, according to info on that thread.

I'm guessing, then, that '96 and '97 GTS wheels were just polished and cleared. I read a while back, where I learned about the casting vs forging, that the '97 wheels polish up much brighter than the '96 wheels. I've got a '96 and bought a set of '97s off a friend and they are most definitely a bit brighter (and have factory finish, not chromed). They're not in amazing shape and I'm having them redone, but I have never been sure of the finish.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The advice was to treat the Gen II wheels as if they were painted...and, never use any metal polishes of strong (acid being one) cleaners.

Some had them triple chromed, while others stripped them of the clear and used metal polish on the bare aluminum.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'97 was a transition year. Some were cast, some were forged. All '96 were cast and all '98 were forged.

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember guys having the front wheels break under heavy braking with slicks. Just can't remember if it was the cast or forged wheels that were the problem.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I remember guys having the front wheels break under heavy braking with slicks. Just can't remember if it was the cast or forged wheels that were the problem.
Most definitely cast.

From what I observed during that time period the spokes broke at the hub during hard cornering with slicks, though no slicks in the picture above.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper