Gen III seats in a Gen I

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of you know of Northwind Engineerings seat lowering kits. Well, he does other seat magic as well. Here's a picture of a kit he made to adapt Gen III seats to fit into a (my) Gen I.

seat_conversion_kit.jpg

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IS that in their catalog or was it a one off?

Do you know if that bracket work G3 seat to G2?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for my install of the lowering kit, it was instrumental to be able to remove the bottom of the seat...can this be done in order to install these gen 3's? If not, then I would be very interested to see how the install would work.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IS that in their catalog or was it a one off?

Do you know if that bracket work G3 seat to G2?

It is supposed to be a catalog kit (at least Northwind has it listed in their catalog :) ).

But it seems there are a we have a few minor bugs to work out. Ed went to bolt the seats in, and their appears to be a problem in the "apparatus" for the cable that pulls the 'tang' release to allow the seat back to tilt. The apparatus is hitting the inside of the tunnel not allowing the seat to drop totally in place. It does not appear to be the seat mounting holes, so hopefully, it will just take some minor bracket tweaking.

I told Ed not to worry about it, and I'll work with Mike at Northwind to sort the bigs out once I get the car home. The tentative "pick-up" is Thanksgiving week.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenIII seats look very large in an RT/10.

I agree, they look funky especially when the roof is open. They are almost level with the sport pad.

Part of the reason for the kit was to lower the seats. The Gen III seats are much more confortable and fit me better than either the Gen I or Gen II seats, that is reason I went for them.

In the pics of the install in my car, they look fine to me, but you are right, they definitely do look different and are taller than the Gen I Lears, or Gen II Johnson Control seats. I had a brand new set of Gen II's but went with the Gen III's because of the reasons noted above. Sometimes "function" overpowers "form" :2tu: