Gen III Wheels on my GEN II - Questions

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found bits and pieces of info on this issue, but if someone in the know could just lay it out for me, that would be great. I've already purchased a set of OEM 10 spoke wheels off an 05 from a fellow VCA member. Looking to put these on my 01 RT/10 w/ the new Michelin PSS's. Here are my questions:

1. These should mount up directly with no spacers or extra work needed, right?
2. Can I use the lug nuts that held my OEM Gen II wheels?
3. Will the center caps from the Gen II wheels fit the Gen III?
4. If I decide to purchase new center caps, who has the best price? (VPA, Partsrack or ?)
5. Any problem using the slightly wider 285/35-18 on the front vs. 275's?
6. With the slightly taller rear wheels at 19" vs. 18" how much will my speedo be off? Will read about 2 mph low I think. I do have 3.33 gears in the car but also already have a speedo re-calc box to fix that.
7. Anything special needed for the valve stems? Wheels have none now. If I take them to a competent tire guy, should they have everything needed or is there anything special needed for these wheels.

That's it, only seven questions! Thanks in advance for any input.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. yes
2. yes
3.no
4.partsrack
5.no
6. no noticeable difference at least I do not.
7.any will work

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Gen 3 10 spokes on my 02 GTS and they needed no spacers, used my Gen 2 lug nuts and center caps. Those rims will make your car look totally different. One of the best "upgrades" for a Gen 2. IMO.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Gen 3 10 spokes on my 02 GTS and they needed no spacers, used my Gen 2 lug nuts and center caps. Those rims will make your car look totally different. One of the best "upgrades" for a Gen 2. IMO.

Thanks all for the input. Just the answers I was hoping for.

Yeah, I've never loved the OEM wheels that came on the later Gen II's. I've considered a lot of aftermarket options over the years but never really locked into anything. Need new tires this Spring, found a good deal on these wheels, so figured now was the time.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same Gen 3 wheels on my 97. Easy change over. All answers correct. The lugnuts from 96-98 are not chrome capped so I bought replacement chrome for a Cherokee, they have the correct "seat" to torque the wheel if you need to replace your stock chrome cap 99-02 lugnuts.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Gen IV wheels which I believe are the same dimensions (18x10 and 19x13). Assuming the preceeding is correct then...

1. Yes, no spacers
2. Yes, same lug nuts
3. I have a '99 and yes those center caps fit
4. I'd go with Jon B. (PR), but those things are expensive. Find a wrecked one and get those if you can.
5. Nope, have the same tires on mine
6. At 150mph does it really matter? I haven't noticed a difference, but in my truck I went up 2" and it was about 4mph at 70mph. It gets bigger as you go faster though, so it might be 8mph at 140mph.
7. Nothing special but ask for chrome stems. Makes a big difference.

I've found bits and pieces of info on this issue, but if someone in the know could just lay it out for me, that would be great. I've already purchased a set of OEM 10 spoke wheels off an 05 from a fellow VCA member. Looking to put these on my 01 RT/10 w/ the new Michelin PSS's. Here are my questions:

1. These should mount up directly with no spacers or extra work needed, right?
2. Can I use the lug nuts that held my OEM Gen II wheels?
3. Will the center caps from the Gen II wheels fit the Gen III?
4. If I decide to purchase new center caps, who has the best price? (VPA, Partsrack or ?)
5. Any problem using the slightly wider 285/35-18 on the front vs. 275's?
6. With the slightly taller rear wheels at 19" vs. 18" how much will my speedo be off? Will read about 2 mph low I think. I do have 3.33 gears in the car but also already have a speedo re-calc box to fix that.
7. Anything special needed for the valve stems? Wheels have none now. If I take them to a competent tire guy, should they have everything needed or is there anything special needed for these wheels.

That's it, only seven questions! Thanks in advance for any input.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN IV 6 spokes powder coated, Yes I know this said GEN III but why limit yourself to GEN III only

You must be registered for see images attach

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verfiy which tire, most of the Gen II's are 26 inches, the 345 X 19 is 27.6, that is a 6% diff in speed.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditto on the recommendation to consider gen IV wheels. The 6 spokes are much lighter and once were very reasonable ($1500/set). Haven't priced them lately.:tx:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 with the 6 spokes is running INVO rear 345 30 19 and front 275 35 18. There is a speed difference. Roughly 5 MPH. I have a GPS so if I really want to monitor speed I just turn that on. Mostof the time I just keep in mind the speed difference. Also have the Sneaky Pete GEN II center caps. I can't comment on if the were early or late GEN II center caps since I got the car used with a set of GEN III 10 spokes.

Yes, the 6 spokes are very light compared to alot of the GEN III and GEN IV wheels.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the same tires and gen 3 6 spoke and I have no noticeable speed different when checked with my gps, i confirmed my gps was accurate by checking the speed in my stock honda....may want to check your gps on a stock vehicle just to confirm your viper is off

My '97 with the 6 spokes is running INVO rear 345 30 19 and front 275 35 18. There is a speed difference. Roughly 5 MPH. I have a GPS so if I really want to monitor speed I just turn that on. Mostof the time I just keep in mind the speed difference. Also have the Sneaky Pete GEN II center caps. I can't comment on if the were early or late GEN II center caps since I got the car used with a set of GEN III 10 spokes.

Yes, the 6 spokes are very light compared to alot of the GEN III and GEN IV wheels.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditto on the recommendation to consider gen IV wheels. The 6 spokes are much lighter and once were very reasonable ($1500/set). Haven't priced them lately.:tx:

are those 18"/19" wheels? Got the same setup on mine, but mine seem to fill in better........

Attachments

• P1010461.jpg
    P1010461.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same set-up...Loves these rims!!!

DSC_5719.JPG

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Yah and here is the all hated H wheels on a GenII

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I love the H spokes!!:yay:

As to the OP, if you have a speedo recalibration box, call up the manufacturer, tell them the new size and they will tell you how to slip the dip switches. Did that with mine when I went from the 345/25 Pirelli to the 335/30 P sports as I was out 4 mph from gps. Unitrax did the calculation and all I needed to do is flip a switch.

On jacks point, Keep in mind tire size f to r as something like a 6% difference front to rear will likely throw the abs light on....

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same Gen 3 wheels on my 97. Easy change over. All answers correct. The lugnuts from 96-98 are not chrome capped so I bought replacement chrome for a Cherokee, they have the correct "seat" to torque the wheel if you need to replace your stock chrome cap 99-02 lugnuts.

What year Cherokee? My chrome is peeling on a couple. :(

Thanks.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to AutoZone to compare price to the dealer for the factory Viper lugnuts for 99-02. I posted on here the night before that I needed some lugnuts and the suggestion was to cross reference to a early 2000s Grand Cherokee. Autozone dude looked up the Cherokee part number and there they were most of them in stock with a few needing to be ordered and the lugnut seat was correct! I couldnt find proper seating off the shelf packs of lugnuts anywhere, must have returned 4 different sets trying them out.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are those 18"/19" wheels? Got the same setup on mine, but mine seem to fill in better........

Yes, they are the same. Maybe the picture was taken right after taking off of jack stands for install (I don't really remember when picture taken), or maybe it is just angle and lighting. Here is different angle...

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, they are the same. Maybe the picture was taken right after taking off of jack stands for install (I don't really remember when picture taken), or maybe it is just angle and lighting. Here is different angle...

That looks awesome. I'm considering 6-spokes. Are those chromed or is that just the factory polished look? Is your car lowered or stock suspension?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 5 spokes are off an 06' model I believe. 19's & 18's and I used the caps that came off the oem wheels off the 2000. I think I still need to lower it about 1" though. jmo

Attachments

• DSC00645.jpg
    DSC00645.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's 1 more pic, I didn't think the last one did the wheels justice. Out in the sun they shine a lil' more, car actually looks a little lower in this one to.

Attachments

• DSC00149.jpg
    DSC00149.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 48

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these combos look great! Its really got me thinking about upgrading. Has anyone put the Gen IV ACR or Sidewinder wheels on their Gen II? I think it'd look awesome..

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's 1 more pic, I didn't think the last one did the wheels justice. Out in the sun they shine a lil' more, car actually looks a little lower in this one to.

That looks great....

I think the newer style wheels definately brighten up the later vipers for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala