Gen IV K&N flat panel Air Filter # 33-2432 is the same for the Gen V...

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figured it would be the same as it seems they used the same airbox for the Gen V as was in the Gen IV.
So those of you like me who are buying a Gen V and have a K&N stock flat panel replacement in your Gen IV..take it out before selling or trading and put it in your Gen V.

Just an FYI.....:2tu:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never liked K&Ns because the oil can get inside the intake manifold and they do not filter anywhere near as good as the paper filters do, so you'll be sucking more dust into the engine. With large panel-style filters I have never noticed a measurable difference between a paper filter and a K&N so long as the airbox itself is well-designed.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never liked K&Ns because the oil can get inside the intake manifold and they do not filter anywhere near as good as the paper filters do, so you'll be sucking more dust into the engine. With large panel-style filters I have never noticed a measurable difference between a paper filter and a K&N so long as the airbox itself is well-designed.
Could not have said it better. Plus its so much easier just to replace the OEM when needed instead of all the cleaning and re oiling of the K&N units.

OP
OP
V

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Completely disagree..

If you are worried about oil.. the real issue is the crankcase ventaltion from the valve covers back into the intake and the air box. That 100's of times worse and a constand renewable source of oil mist.. the K&N is microscopically smaller in volume in comparison if it could be even quantified. Perhaps you are just soaking it with too much oil.

The K&N has a light misting of oil.( the way I do it.) and gets absorbed into the fibers..and I have been using the for over 25 years on all my cars..and I will never buy a paper element again.

I understand your logic , But I am more interested in air flow , I dont live in a dusty enviroment and have never had an issue

In fact on my 1994 toyota pick-up with over 400,000 miles on it useing K&N since day one.. never had an issue at all with the car.. only ever replaced the alternator, starter, and (clutch at 225,000 miles).

Last edited:

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This horse has been beat to death, but to sum it all up, on a stock car or even a car with minor mods, a stock filter is always best. The only time you need a k&n style filter is on a heavily modified motor. I believe even woodhouse has posted up an entire article concerning this very issue. The stock filter flows plenty of air, and actually filters it along the way ;)

OP
OP
V

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This horse has been beat to death, but to sum it all up, on a stock car or even a car with minor mods, a stock filter is always best. The only time you need a k&n style filter is on a heavily modified motor. I believe even woodhouse has posted up an entire article concerning this very issue. The stock filter flows plenty of air, and actually filters it along the way ;)

Keep buying your restrictive paper filters.. Ill keep using the same K&N for years..and get more air and throttle response at the same time.. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said and it HAS been beaten around. Most important is that the engineer team for Viper did a thorough test of many aftermarket filters for the Gen 4 and found the best filter was the paper OEM with no advantage using any other brands.

OP
OP
V

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My post was to offer info on the simple fact that the Gen IV K&N " Flat panel"..works in the Gen V stock air box.

I wasn't interested in a ******* contest.... Just offering a cross reference.. on an Item that I and many others believe have merit.

Sorry to offer info on a product you don't agree with.......I guess we all have to check with you first before we post cross reference facts.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to go with Mark @ Woodhouse and the SRT engineers on this too. OEM is best

Keep buying your restrictive paper filters.. Ill keep using the same K&N for years..and get more air and throttle response at the same time.. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG people. Let the guy post his info without arguing about it. Adults can research and make their own decisions.
I assumed it would fit as the air box looked the same, thanks for sharing Viper808.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG people. Let the guy post his info without arguing about it. Adults can research and make their own decisions. I assumed it would fit as the air box looked the same, thanks for sharing Viper808.

You're assuming we're all adults here. Some of us may prefer the term "chronologically gifted children".

I didn't post to crap on this guy's thread; only to share my experiences with K&N panel filters. Adults, or CGC as I prefer to be called, can read this thread and decide if they want to keep the OEM filter or swap it up for a K&N.

I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate the subtle irony in the way that K&N filters need to be slathered in snake oil in order to "function". Now I do prefer K&N filters whenever I need to make ping pong balls levitate. :dunno:

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compair both OEM and KN side by side for quality......the OEM's filter the air better and has double the surface area. A KN let's more dirt in and causes premature engine wear. (fact)

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compair both OEM and KN side by side for quality......the OEM's filter the air better and has double the surface area. A KN let's more dirt in and causes premature engine wear. (fact)

A fact would be supported by actual evidence????

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

A
ccording this guy's testing, the K&Ns let in more dirt but are less restrictive. Also the K&N plugs up faster.

The size, type and amount of particulate matter that the K&N does let pass and if it is a factor towards engine wear is something that hasn't been studied (or if it has been studied, the data hasn't been released). I'm guessing it makes a small difference, but not enough to matter. If it made ZERO difference, you'd hear about it from K&N. If it made a big difference, you'd hear about it from the competition.

Bottom line is that if you're going to run the K&Ns you should clean it more often, because they'll get plugged more easily and you'll lose the benefit of less restrictive flow quickly. If you're not going to clean it often, then go with a paper setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang