Gen IV w/ bolt ons? Gen 3 Paxtonized? Or ACR?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will always be Egyptians - people who live in the state of denial. I have said what I needed to say to a friend. If something happens, at least I tried. After all, you did vote for Obama. LOL.

I agree there will be people who live in a state of denial, like denying the Republicans drove the economy off the cliff and McCains denial that the economy was in trouble, and like denying Sarah Palin is an idiot! And you voted for these people...

......so....there will always be people who only see things through their perspective and from their point of view...always...and they will always thnk people who see things differently are wrong.

Always.

I appreciate the advice from a friend and I will consider it. However, your car is a helluva lot faster than mine, hell your Truck set a world record!! So I hope you be careful too cuz things break and parts fail on closed tracks as well...especially when you are seting world speed records! :D.

I need a good friend like you around.

And now I have said my piece on the matter...lets get back to cars.:drive:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is the going rate to turbocharge a Gen 4?

Prices for the actual Turbo piping, build, etc will be VERY similar to the Gen-3 cars. The engine machine work and a few parts are considerably more expensive, but the fact that the heads are so good even OEM, and camshaft does not need to be changed pretty much makes up that difference. The extra expense comes primarily from the new computer system needed.

It all depends on what kind of power you are looking for.

A Gen-4 VS-1000TTvc would be approximately 65-ish, while a Gen-4 VS-1500TTvc would be 85ish, depending on options. [That price is including about 18K worth of engine controllers, sensors, displays and wiring] The primary difference between the two would be drivetrain components, fuel system selection, and the type of engine components and machine work used. They would be using very similar turbo systems [modular type] and almost identical engine management. Gen-3 cars would be roughly 15K less is using an AEM, or about 10K less if using a Pectel SQ6.

Its tough to lay out a flat-rate price since there are so many ways to configure them... what one person views as value, another may view as an unneeded expense. Hell, there is an 8K spread on clutches alone, one person may opt for a stock Gen-4 diff, while another will want Quaife or Gikken, and yet another may want a Mark Williams setup. Its all in what you want. One of these days I will get around to laying this out on my website. If I ever have time again, haha

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can it possibly make economic sense to turbocharge a Gen IV as compared to buying a slightly used Gen III ( Probably for $60,000 or less); upgrading the tranny and differential; doing what is necessary to build and turbocharge the engine and puting a Gen IV hood on it? Here are some prices from a particular tuner's website. Note the price ( $55,000.00 ) for a 900 WHP ( 93 octane) application with a modified engine for a Gen II or III. Note the first Gen IV application available costs $75,000.00. There are very few people that can handle a 900 WHP car. $20,000.00 more for 100 more WHP plus the additional cost of the Gen IV does not sound logical or sensible to me.

Custom Turbo System with Stock Engine
700 WHP on pump gas (93 octane)
800 WHP on race fuel (VP-C16 117 octane)
Gen 2 & 3 Viper models (2000-2006 w/cast pistons) at $35,000
Stage 1 Turbo System with Modified Engine
900 WHP on pump gas (93 octane)
1100 WHP on race fuel (VP-C16 117 octane)
Gen 2 & 3 Viper models at $55,000
Stage 2 Turbo System with Modified Engine
1000 WHP on pump gas (93 octane)
1300 WHP on race fuel (VP-C16 117 octane)
Gen 2, 3 & 4 Viper models at $75,000
Stage 3 Turbo System with Highly Modified Engine
1100 WHP on pump gas (93 octane)
1500 WHP on race fuel (VP-C16 117 octane)
Gen 2, 3 & 4 Viper models starting at $95,000

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

Well, for starters, the additional 20K doesnt just float into oblivion. There is SERIOUS value in the engine control system that the gen-4 "forces" you into. It will be by far a cleaner running, driving, safer, and more reliable car than a Gen-1-3 on a basic EMS system at that power level. Wheel speed based traction/launch, and the ability to completely integrate telemetry and chassis sensors is another major plus, for those that will turn the power down and hit the road course. Power at the flip of a switch on those cars: at the twist of two knobs, you can change from 4 different power levels and octane ratings and 7 different traction control levels, or turn TC off.

Other than that, a Gen-4 TT car will make more power at the same boost than any Gen-3 due its greater efficiency. It will also be a much smoother running car due to its variable camshaft technology. You get all of the upsides, and none of the downsides.

Lastly, the gap will begin to close when you factor in drivetrain differences. The Gen-3 T56 is stout, but not nearly as nice as the TR6060. The Gen-3 diff is a "must change". If you tend to those two items, you just closed that 20K gap by 5k more. If you opted to try and come close to the EMS on the Gen-4, you just closed that gap by close to an additional 10K.

It is all how you look at it, and what you want.

In the case of Keith, since he is starting from scratch, he has the ability to make the "market difference" effectively eat the EMS cost difference by building a conversion car rather than a legit Gen-4... and ending up with more in the process. It may make sense to him, maybe not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang