Gen IV w/ bolt ons? Gen 3 Paxtonized? Or ACR?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am also considering an ACR, but I hate the fact that there are no convertible versions. Also several of my races with Vettes have exceeded speeds of 185 mph....and the ACR tops out at 177 right? Is there a an easy way to remove that ACR wing?

OMG! PLEASE DON'T TELL US YOU HAVE STREET RACED UP TO 185 MPH????

That death wish aside, you will save thousands or even tens of thousands by buying an already supercharged or twin turbo'd gen 3. If your thinking about buying a gen 3, imo the ONLY option would be one already supercharged. Twin turbos seem to have alot less reliability, and most people are daily driving them and putting tens of thousands of miles on them. So imo it would be already supercharged gen 3, or gen 4. If the gen 4 can be used with some mods already on them you would save even more.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge, no... we are the first ones working on the SQ6M12 for the Gen-4 engine, and there wont be any others until we get this one finished and prove its viability [which there isn't any question of, just the integration issues, which have already been worked through- just have to turn the key and prove it once completed]. There have been a couple Motec based cars built, but I dont know how far they went into Cam control on those cars.

I would be very interested in a Gen IV tune with ported stock heads!

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 08. I did the Belanger headers, exhaust & Mopar PCM. 595rwhp 565rwtq. This was on 91 octane. The PCM allows for 93. I didn't have time to get the 93 in at the time of the dyno. I have to think I would have made over 600rwhp.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

You do understand that will require a completely new engine control system to the tune of over 15K by the time it is installed, right? If so, we can certainly work with you when everything is sorted out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG! PLEASE DON'T TELL US YOU HAVE STREET RACED UP TO 185 MPH????

That death wish aside, you will save thousands or even tens of thousands by buying an already supercharged or twin turbo'd gen 3. If your thinking about buying a gen 3, imo the ONLY option would be one already supercharged. Twin turbos seem to have alot less reliability, and most people are daily driving them and putting tens of thousands of miles on them. So imo it would be already supercharged gen 3, or gen 4. If the gen 4 can be used with some mods already on them you would save even more.

Yes, on at least two occasions. First time was against a very determine black C5 highly modded Z06. I always..and I mean ALWAYS let the competition hit the gas first. That way, they cannot complain about not having a good start...yes, it takes me a lil longer to catch them, especially since my wife is just as addicted to kicking ass as I am; therefore she is always in the car with me. So I ALWAYS start off at a disadvantage in both weight and in a few tenths of a second reaction time since I let them hit first. The black Z06 was already a car ahead of me doing about 65 when he nailed it. Then I nailed it. He held his lead until we got to 120 mph and then I just started walking him....and then I just shot by him.. At 140 I had him by 3-4 cars...but he wouldnt quit, so I stayed in it and ran it all the way until we were running out of straightaway. When I looked in my rearview I had him by at least 15 car lengths and I was doing 185 mph. Thing is, the Viper hits these speeds very quickly.

Second time was with a BMW M6, who thought just cuz his car cost 100k, he should be able to kick my ass. I gave him a 2 car length head start while we were doing about 75. He held me off until I hit like 125 then I started pulling him and at 140 I just started pulling away from him something serious..but again, he stayed in it so I stayed in it too...and we hit some "slower traffic" on our closed course ;) and I got out of it...I was doing 178 when I got out of it and had him by about 18 cars. Those M6's are faster than you might think.

Most of my current Z06 races dont get anywhere near those speeds, most are over and done with by the time i get to 140 mph as our closed courses down here in Charlotte have so much more traffic....:D

Yeah, its dangerous, but Vipers are dangerous vehicles period. Most exciting things in life are kinda dangerous...

But well worth it!:headbang:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about possible equipment failure ( yours or the other guy's); an unexpected medical event (yours or the other guy's), an unexpected animal running across the road, or another car doing the wrong thing at the wrong time? Speeds that high should stay on a track or an air strip unless you have somewhere where there are no other cars and an equipment failure would not cause injury and/or damage to the property or bodies of others. I like speed but not at any risk to anyone but me.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posting Policy #16: The Viper Club of America nor its sponsors condone illegal street racing. As such, there will be no posts promoting or reporting such activity. This includes descriptions, pictures, or videos. The VCA encourages you to "take it to the track" and drive safely.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 08. I did the Belanger headers, exhaust & Mopar PCM. 595rwhp 565rwtq. This was on 91 octane. The PCM allows for 93. I didn't have time to get the 93 in at the time of the dyno. I have to think I would have made over 600rwhp.

You will get less hp with higher oct fuel if you were not detonating. The lower the oct the faster the burn.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why, so you can keep picking on supercharged Gen III's?

:rolaugh:

especially since my wife is just as addicted to kicking ass as I am; therefore she is always in the car with me.

You are probably the first person I know that would race with their wife in the car. None of my friends will have their wife in the car whether they are making 1200+rwhp or 400rwhp.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posting Policy #16: The Viper Club of America nor its sponsors condone illegal street racing. As such, there will be no posts promoting or reporting such activity. This includes descriptions, pictures, or videos. The VCA encourages you to "take it to the track" and drive safely.

Unless it is a ZR-1 scalping.........:D Couldn't resist.

twinlakesviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 06 paxton yellow coupe,mint no stories or dissappointments, just turned 9k miles with new pilot sport cups {acr tires}. put down 680 rwhp.$58K. mike 330-631-2862

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a 725rwhp Paxton Gen III lose to a stock gen IV 60-160mph. Area under the curve is very important ;)

And a warranty is always nice too!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a 725rwhp Paxton Gen III lose to a stock gen IV 60-160mph. Area under the curve is very important ;)

And a warranty is always nice too!

That should not have happened. Either the 725 figure is not accurate or the driver did not use the right gears. What gear was the Paxton car in when the contest started. ( I assume the contest was done in a lawful manner.) One through four I pull away from a stock Gen IV and my car, at most, is 685 RWHP. But, if I was in third when I should have been in second or fourth when I should have been in third, then that is different. The Paxton cars have a performance band and you have to keep the revs up.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ooops! :omg:

Ok, from now on, only on the track and closed courses. ;) ahhh....umm....Unless a Z06.....:D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That should not have happened. Either the 725 figure is not accurate or the driver did not use the right gears. What gear was the Paxton car in when the contest started. ( I assume the contest was done in a lawful manner.) One through four I pull away from a stock Gen IV and my car, at most, is 685 RWHP. But, if I was in third when I should have been in second or fourth when I should have been in third, then that is different. The Paxton cars have a performance band and you have to keep the revs up.

what he said. not a chance

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about possible equipment failure ( yours or the other guy's); an unexpected medical event (yours or the other guy's), an unexpected animal running across the road, or another car doing the wrong thing at the wrong time? Speeds that high should stay on a track or an air strip unless you have somewhere where there are no other cars and an equipment failure would not cause injury and/or damage to the property or bodies of others. I like speed but not at any risk to anyone but me.

Only twice have I actually cut up in traffic, and both of those times were with a members of VCA.

When I go balls to the wall it is only when there has been miles of open highway and no traffic for several miles. I know there are risks, I know I could be struck by lightening and have a heart attack and fail to hit the brakes...but that could happen to any of us any time we speed.....so unless you have never exceeded say...80 or 90 mph on a public road...and with all the toys and power you have it would be very hard not to do that...but then again, you are a very important lawyer in your community so you may actually be more cautious.

I can tell you right now...on the Dragons Tail run...and on MOST Viper cruises, there are gonna be a few Vipers that cut up and have a little fun. You can write all the policies you want, you can write all the threads you want...as long as people have high horsepower cars that are street legal, sooner or later MOST of those people are gonna get into it sooner or later at least once.

Thats just life...and I am just honest about it. I turn down 3 out of 4 challenges due to traffic (and my wife protesting :nono:), if I dont have at least 2 miles of open highway, I dont get into it.

But I promise to be better in the future. :D

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why, so you can keep picking on supercharged Gen III's?

:rolaugh:

You are probably the first person I know that would race with their wife in the car. None of my friends will have their wife in the car whether they are making 1200+rwhp or 400rwhp.

My wife insists on it. She loves it as much as I do. Some people chase tornados with their wives, some people scuba dive with sharks with their wives....me and my wife hunt Vettes and Porsches and Lambos on the weekends. Thats our past time. Most of the time we just meet the car, pull over to a local gas station and trade contact info for cruises and car shows....but every now and then......:drive::drive: vroom vroooom!:dunno: Go ahead...let me have it! :rant:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
dan

isn't the Pectel more like $6,500?

Wrong controller, and no, not even that cheap for the "base model". There are THREE Pectel units available, the SQ6, SQ6M, and SQ6M12. The SQ6M12 is the ONLY one of those three that is capable of running the Gen-4 engine due to its Coil On Plug setup, and its need for additional I/O management. The SQ6M12 controller by itself, with NO sensors, connectors, looms, display, install, tuning, etc. is almost 9K.

However, any of the those three controllers can be used to control the Gen-1, 2 or 3 cars. And yes, the cheapest option, the SQ6, would start at about 6500.00 for a VERY, VERY basic kit, without all options, and with no installation/sensors/tuning. JR sells that system, and as you can see right on his website, even the SQ6 Plug And Play system is 9K once you add up all of the extra sensors & wiring needed... and that is still not including a Digital Dash, which is over 2K by itself.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife insists on it. She loves it as much as I do. Some people chase tornados with their wives, some people scuba dive with sharks with their wives....me and my wife hunt Vettes and Porsches and Lambos on the weekends. Thats our past time. Most of the time we just meet the car, pull over to a local gas station and trade contact info for cruises and car shows....but every now and then......:drive::drive: vroom vroooom!:dunno: Go ahead...let me have it! :rant:

Let me ask you a simple question through the use of a hypothetical. Your wife is in the car. You are on a public highway. You initiate a roll on from 60 to 160. During that roll on, you experience an equipment failure that results in you losing control. You impact the other car. The driver of the other car loses control, flips multiple times and dies. You survive intact but your wife is gravely and permanently injured. Do you honestly think that anyhting you said above would mean anything to you? Believe me. It would not. Your life, as you know it, would be over. That is why I abide by one simple rule. If I go fast, I do so when it is only a risk to me if something unexpected happens.

Decades ago when I was young and impulsive something unexpected did happen. Thank G-d no one was hurt and the police were not involved. But not a week goes by when I do not think about it at least once. It was as close to a life changing event as I ever want to get.

You will do what you will do. Just keep in mind that equipment failures can occur and that as you get older your reflexes get slower.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you a simple question through the use of a hypothetical. Your wife is in the car. You are on a public highway. You initiate a roll on from 60 to 160. During that roll on, you experience an equipment failure that results in you losing control. You impact the other car. The driver of the other car loses control, flips multiple times and dies. You survive intact but your wife is gravely and permanently injured. Do you honestly think that anyhting you said above would mean anything to you? Believe me. It would not. Your life, as you know it, would be over. That is why I abide by one simple rule. If I go fast, I do so when it is only a risk to me if something unexpected happens.

Decades ago when I was young and impulsive something unexpected did happen. Thank G-d no one was hurt and the police were not involved. But not a week goes by when I do not think about it at least once. It was as close to a life changing event as I ever want to get.

You will do what you will do. Just keep in mind that equipment failures can occur and that as you get older your reflexes get slower.

Life is full of chances. Possible equipment failure does not stop those who love to skydive, drag race, or pilot small planes. Its a fact of life. My wife LOVES to race she understands the danger but she loves it as do I. Now, no one should ever do this on public roads, but we all know that it happens from time to time. I am just one of the only ones foolish enough to admit it here on VCA.

And, I got caught hot dogging on a road once, got pulled over. Turns out I knew some people who knew the officer, and he told me about a highway that was mostly open with hardly any traffic. He actually told me to go there and open it up.

Hot dogging on public roads has been a fact of life ever since cars were invented, and is gonna keep happening. We can discuss all kinds of hypotheticals, but thats all they are, hypothetical. The only time my car was ever wrecked happened when I wasnt even in the car cuz the guy didnt know what he was doing.

I understand your point, we all do. All I am saying is that NO MATTER what you say...if a Z06 or better yet a Zr1 pulls up against anyone on this forum and there is open highway ahead...I am telling you now Bob, MORE THAN LIKELY THEIR IS GONNA BE A SCALPING IN THE MAKING!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was at a private airport runway rental. Heat soak is the primary issue, and then the gearing of the car. He would pull pretty decently right before he had to shift but on his shifts would fall out of boost (disadvantage to a centrifugal blower). 99FRC (08 Viper w/Bellangers) who posted above, raced a buddy of our's in his 05 SRT w/Paxton and built motor in 101F weather. From what I understand, that Paxton car was just BARELY pulling away because of the heat soak.

I've gotta side with Bob on this one. I'd just feel terrible if I survived an accident, and my wife didn't, and it was my fault.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life is full of chances. Possible equipment failure does not stop those who love to skydive, drag race, or pilot small planes. Its a fact of life. My wife LOVES to race she understands the danger but she loves it as do I. Now, no one should ever do this on public roads, but we all know that it happens from time to time. I am just one of the only ones foolish enough to admit it here on VCA.

And, I got caught hot dogging on a road once, got pulled over. Turns out I knew some people who knew the officer, and he told me about a highway that was mostly open with hardly any traffic. He actually told me to go there and open it up.

Hot dogging on public roads has been a fact of life ever since cars were invented, and is gonna keep happening. We can discuss all kinds of hypotheticals, but thats all they are, hypothetical. The only time my car was ever wrecked happened when I wasnt even in the car cuz the guy didnt know what he was doing.

I understand your point, we all do. All I am saying is that NO MATTER what you say...if a Z06 or better yet a Zr1 pulls up against anyone on this forum and there is open highway ahead...I am telling you now Bob, MORE THAN LIKELY THEIR IS GONNA BE A SCALPING IN THE MAKING!

1. In sky diving there is a back up shoot. In drag racing on a drag strip there are safety regulations and they are usually vigorously enforced. Piloting small prop planes ( I used to fly a Cessna 152) involves little risk since FAA regs and supervision is strict; every competent, licensed pilot does a comprehensive walk around to check the plane each time before using it; and you can land them almost anywhere with or without the engine functioning. There are accidents. They usually involve student pilots or, on rare occasssions, mechanical failures resulting in total loss of aircraft control. You also see idiots who fly in weather that is above their skill set. This is what happened to John F. Kennedy Jr. and his wife and sister in law.

2. It does not matter whether your wife loves it or not, if something happens, I assure you that you will never, ever forgive yourself.

3. To me, trusting a total stranger's driving competence and assuming and trusting that his car has been properly maintained at high speeds where he may be right beside you or, at times during the contest, in front of you, is illogical, high risk behavior that is akin to having anonymous sex with a street ****** who might have aids.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. In sky diving there is a back up shoot. In drag racing on a drag strip there are safety regulations and they are usually vigorously enforced. Piloting small prop planes ( I used to fly a Cessna 152) involves little risk since FAA regs and supervision is strict; every competent, licensed pilot does a comprehensive walk around to check the plane each time before using it; and you can land them almost anywhere with or without the engine functioning. There are accidents. They usually involve student pilots or, on rare occasssions, mechanical failures resulting in total loss of aircraft control. You also see idiots who fly in weather that is above their skill set. This is what happened to John F. Kennedy Jr. and his wife and sister in law.

2. It does not matter whether your wife loves it or not, if something happens, I assure you that you will never, ever forgive yourself.

3. To me, trusting a total stranger's driving competence and assuming and trusting that his car has been properly maintained at high speeds where he may be right beside you or, at times during the contest, in front of you, is illogical, high risk behavior that is akin to having anonymous sex with a street ****** who might have aids.

Bob, you must be a very good lawyer. All points noted and very well said.
I'll think about this when a hot car challenges me on the street.
Case closed, ...for me.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. I have drag raced several times at drag strips here in NC. There are no safety regulations whatsoever to speak of. Some guy walks around your car, then takes some shoe polish and gives you a number. No tire pressure check, no brake check, no nothing. And you are racing against anyone who will line up against you, whether he is in a Pontiac Bonneville or a SuperCharged Toyota Tacoma. There are no guidelines to determine the drivers capability. Drag racing on drag strips in these southern towns is one of the most dangerous things I have ever seen.

I see more accidents on jet skis and power boats on the water than I do racing accidents on the street...does that stop people from going on the water? No.

2. I will not deprive my wife of something that she loves to do. Thats life. Several wives drag race themselves, many, like Danica Patrick, road race as well. Who are we to tell a woman what she can and cannot do? Dictating what a woman can and cannot do is much more unforgivable than letting her do what her heart desires.

3. This happens all the time Bob. Every time I go to a road course some guy inevitably loses it and crashes his car. I am sure you have seen it. Yes, there are classes before we race, yes, there are inspections, yes there are training laps and warm up laps...but many if not MOST Viper owners treat their cars like garage queens and have no idea how to deal with these cars when they get sideways, miss a shift, skid, etc. And when you go on a road course you are also in a very dangerous environment...but this is what we all have CHOSEN TO DO for entertainment.

I understand the risks...and have decided to accept them. As far as having sex with total strangers....that happens all the time with people and even using condoms is not a guarantee. And, if if the person is not a total stranger he/she may stll lie to you or not know the state of their own health. Again, like everything in life, there are risks involved.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
:scratches head:

Or we can just talk about Gen-3 and Gen-4 Vipers, with Twin Turbos or Paxton SC's...?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I have drag raced several times at drag strips here in NC. There are no safety regulations whatsoever to speak of. Some guy walks around your car, then takes some shoe polish and gives you a number. No tire pressure check, no brake check, no nothing. And you are racing against anyone who will line up against you, whether he is in a Pontiac Bonneville or a SuperCharged Toyota Tacoma. There are no guidelines to determine the drivers capability. Drag racing on drag strips in these southern towns is one of the most dangerous things I have ever seen.

I see more accidents on jet skis and power boats on the water than I do racing accidents on the street...does that stop people from going on the water? No.

2. I will not deprive my wife of something that she loves to do. Thats life. Several wives drag race themselves, many, like Danica Patrick, road race as well. Who are we to tell a woman what she can and cannot do? Dictating what a woman can and cannot do is much more unforgivable than letting her do what her heart desires.

3. This happens all the time Bob. Every time I go to a road course some guy inevitably loses it and crashes his car. I am sure you have seen it. Yes, there are classes before we race, yes, there are inspections, yes there are training laps and warm up laps...but many if not MOST Viper owners treat their cars like garage queens and have no idea how to deal with these cars when they get sideways, miss a shift, skid, etc. And when you go on a road course you are also in a very dangerous environment...but this is what we all have CHOSEN TO DO for entertainment.

I understand the risks...and have decided to accept them. As far as having sex with total strangers....that happens all the time with people and even using condoms is not a guarantee. And, if if the person is not a total stranger he/she may stll lie to you or not know the state of their own health. Again, like everything in life, there are risks involved.

There will always be Egyptians - people who live in the state of denial. I have said what I needed to say to a friend. If something happens, at least I tried. After all, you did vote for Obama. LOL.