Gen V nominated for World Performance Car of the Year

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess we'll see real perf numbers soon then, it'd be hard to judge it as a perf car without perf numbers. Can't wait to see them.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Thankfully they didn't jump on the childish "game-changing" "concave" "epic" "supercar" bandwagon. I'm gonna blow a fuse if I hear "game changer" or "supercar" again. :D

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see that it is being recognized. Now they need to bring an a full blown all options exterior and interior with leather upgrades and carbon fiber and not the launch edition.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like SRT's marketing department is starting to spend some money. Maybe they will spend enough money to have the Viper win some magazine comparo's for a change lol.

Awesome! Thankfully they didn't jump on the childish "game-changing" "concave" "epic" "supercar" bandwagon. I'm gonna blow a fuse if I hear "game changer" or "supercar" again. :D

Start blowing a fuse because it is a supercar:D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BigDawg -- shoulda gone to VOI-12, as seeing is believing , it is a Supercar!!!

Absolutely outstanding, as over the years the press has been somewhat biased and often ignored the Viper, so about time to get the respect it so richly deserves. So cool when at VOI all of our European and Japanese owners get it, as a Viper has been considered an Exotic and Supercar in those locals for years. Considering it's International Racing pedigree it is often hard to understand why we are so late to recognize how blessed we are with this American Legend!

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely outstanding, as over the years the press has been somewhat biased and often ignored the Viper, so about time to get the respect it so richly deserves. So cool when at VOI all of our European and Japanese owners get it, as a Viper has been considered an Exotic and Supercar in those locals for years. Considering it's International Racing pedigree it is often hard to understand why we are so late to recognize how blessed we are with this American Legend!

Very well put....:2tu:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As always, very well put.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the Viper but to call it a supercar is reaching just a tad... :)
A supercar these days is super exclusive (less than a few hundreds made) and super expensive at least $500K and therefore super rare. I would say Bugatti Veyron, AM1-77, Pagani Zonda, SLR, Porsche GT, Koeniggsegg CCR to name a few.
Then under this you have exotics (Lambo and Ferrari comes to mind). Range is 200K and up.
This leaves cars like the Viper that have performance that can closely match the exotics and the supercars but the "supercar" comparison stops there.
Just my personal opinion.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the Viper but to call it a supercar is reaching just a tad... :)
A supercar these days is super exclusive (less than a few hundreds made) and super expensive at least $500K and therefore super rare. I would say Bugatti Veyron, AM1-77, Pagani Zonda, SLR, Porsche GT, Koeniggsegg CCR to name a few.
Then under this you have exotics (Lambo and Ferrari comes to mind). Range is 200K and up.
This leaves cars like the Viper that have performance that can closely match the exotics and the supercars but the "supercar" comparison stops there.

What about hypercars? I thought that was the moniker being used for ultra-exclusive performance cars today.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure exactly why you're throwing around the $$ like it should matter about the title. :dunno:
If a car needs to be expensive to be called super then I guess paying $300 for Oakley sunglasses makes them way better than $14 walmart sunglasses... when both simply reduce sun glare.

The viper is super because of engineering and lower price is just a reflection of good "bang-for-the-buck" engineering. Look at the wiki ring results and nobody comes close to american engineering when talking bang-for-the-buck cars... between corvette and viper they complete dominate in that category... I think that's pretty super. :)
People should see the car for what is.
Mike

OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times must we have this discussion? "Supercar" and "Hypercar" are marketing terms, not actual classifications. They are completely subjective and have no formal SAE definition. If what makes a "supercar" in your eyes is a million-dollar price tag and 250 mph top speed, than the Viper is not. If your requirements for being a "supercar" mean lapping a racetrack in the lowest time possible, the Viper is definitely a "supercar." The same thing goes to the use of the word exotic: If you have 4 Vipers sitting in your garage, they're certainly not exotic to you. If you're lucky to see 1 or 2 driving on the street in any given year, I'd say they meet the exotic criteria.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am talking in a general sense of the term per the Wikipedia definition below.
"Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car".[1] Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".
As I stated in my post, that was my opinion regarding the dollar amount and is subjective.
I agree that $100K for a car in Zimbabwe would qualify as very expensive but in the state, it is really not.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am talking in a general sense of the term per the Wikipedia definition below.
"Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car".[1] Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".
As I stated in my post, that was my opinion regarding the dollar amount and is subjective.
I agree that $100K for a car in Zimbabwe would qualify as very expensive but in the state, it is really not.

In the 90's the term for the Supra, 3000gt, 300ZX, and NSX was "Japanese Supercar". They were called "Japanese Supercars" because they were the best performing and fastest cars Japan ever made and I remember in the 90's the 3000gt actually beat the Testarossa in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. To not call the Viper the American Supercar is ridiculous since no other production car currently made in America outperforms it, and no other production car in the world is faster than it in the Ring. Bugatti, Ferrari and Lambo can't beat it in the Ring and you still don't call it a Supercar because it's relatively cheap? I think that more so called "Supercars" should be DROPPED from the list of supercars because they can't outperform an "inferior" $100K American, UAW made, rat-rod. In fact, half the so called supercars of today can barely beat a GEN2, so I think all those slower cars should now be called Posercars, because the people paid too much and got less.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 90's the term for the Supra, 3000gt, 300ZX, and NSX was "Japanese Supercar". They were called "Japanese Supercars" because they were the best performing and fastest cars Japan ever made and I remember in the 90's the 3000gt actually beat the Testarossa in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. To not call the Viper the American Supercar is ridiculous since no other production car currently made in America outperforms it, and no other production car in the world is faster than it in the Ring. Bugatti, Ferrari and Lambo can't beat it in the Ring and you still don't call it a Supercar because it's relatively cheap? I think that more so called "Supercars" should be DROPPED from the list of supercars because they can't outperform an "inferior" $100K American, UAW made, rat-rod. In fact, half the so called supercars of today can barely beat a GEN2, so I think all those slower cars should now be called Posercars, because the people paid too much and got less.
Read again the general definition of today's dictionary, not the one you care to remember 20 years ago: its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".
You only focus on performance which is only one aspect of what defines a supercar. With your own definition, an Ariel Atom would also be one then.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much thought into these awards. I don't know how this one works exactly, but I know companies have to pay for their intellichoice awards. I would imagine these sort of awards are much the same.

OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read again the general definition of today's dictionary, not the one you care to remember 20 years ago: its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".
You only focus on performance which is only one aspect of what defines a supercar. With your own definition, an Ariel Atom would also be one then.

So now Wikipedia is a valid and ultimate source on the final definitions of words once used for marketing hype? Even if your definition came from the OED, I would point out that language is not something that is ever static. It evolves with our culture and a word one year might mean something completely different a decade later.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a difference between a supercar and a muscle car, and now the Viper is going to be in the supercar bracket, if not soon then later. Though not being a supercar doesn't mean the car is not great whichever car it was.