Gen1 dash options & pic request

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what options are out there for a gen1 dash? I am thinking of going with carbon fiber instead of living with the old scratched fuzzy stock dash....also, any pics?
Thanks!
J

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a really permanent solution, but I just plasti-dip'd my mom's 94. We had been kicking around the idea of what to do with her dash since it was getting pretty discolored compared to the gray leather. The plasti-dip is kind of nice because it's reminiscent of the factory "soft touch" or whatever you want to call it finish. It has stiffened up better in the weeks since I've done it and feels a little less rubbery and sticky than on initial coating. The nice part is you can just peel it off if you don't like it. So far it's doing pretty good, but I did scratch it a little when I was first putting it back in, so there's a nick or two. In the long run we might just pull it again and do more permanent paint, but this gave her a chance to see if she liked the black without all the labor of stripping the weird factory coating off. Don't have any pictures on hand, but I can try to get some later today.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've re-painted mine in the past, (97 GTS), and finally had it I wrapped in leather, it came out real nice. Feels and looks much better than stock, or aftermarket paint.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about wrapping them. I really like the suede look on a lot of the cars I've seen. Haven't seen too many done in leather but bet it looks just as nice.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard Plasti Dip scratches real easy....probably better to just get it wrapped in leather if you want to spend the money. I'm sure it looks real nice....V10TT, post some pics if you have some.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is in leather...
notice the metal rings around the guages...

You must be registered for see images attach

Tony from Venzano does this (248) 674-7400

If you call, tell him Mike said hi.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've heard Plasti Dip scratches real easy....probably better to just get it wrapped in leather if you want to spend the money. I'm sure it looks real nice....V10TT, post some pics if you have some.

Yeah, we never really planned for the plasti-dip to be permanent, more just a feeler to see what we thought about doing a dash overhaul. It seemed pretty prone to scratching when I first painted it, but it does seem to have toughened up a little since. It seems to hold up well enough on wheels, so maybe I just didn't have the best technique since it was the first thing I've ever tried the stuff on. Did the backs of the seats as well since the coating was starting to peel off of them as well.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is in leather...

That looks great

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think I might have a Gen 1 dash if someone is looking for one as a backup. I did all of the hard work stripping off all of the fuzzy stuff and then sold my Gen 1. Not sure what it's worth??

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, that leather looks factory. If you don't mind my asking what sort of price does Tony charge for something like that?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I can only imagine what soft leather must feel like in a Viper :rolleyes:

s66353h

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I painted mine gloss black

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here it is in leather...

Best looking Gen 1 dash i've seen. I never considered changing from stock, but this has me thinking

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is still in fairly good condition. Although at the shifter and glove box it is scratched. Passengers had something in their hands and got scared. LOL How much do you want for that dash? I'm an artist and wanted to work on a piece to see if I could duplicate the original dash. (Rocket 62).

Does the leather look as good as it does in the photos? Did a shop do it for you or did you do it?

OP
OP
J

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That leather dash does look killer! Any carbon fiber dash guys out there, I'm kind of leaning towards that....

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a local guy that was very affordable, as I've gotten estimates in the past between $1800-$2000 to do the work.
This small shop did the dash, including the inside of the gauges , which is a pain, the shifter bezel entirely, the triangular pieces around the doors handle, and the gauge pod in the center of my steering column for my AEM Serial Gauge.

I have a 97 GTS, and the Rubberized paint was long gone. I had repainted the described pieces, but was never too happy how they came out.

Really pleased how it looks now.

Before: (the before pics were taken by a pro, so they look nicer than in person, the after pics taken on an Iphone)

You must be registered for see images

After:

OP
OP
J

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
real CF or vinyl wrap? Real CF is probably super expensive to do.

I would like to see prices on both, just to weigh the options, these kits, even though they look pretty good, don't seem to go to the end of the dash, by the door, or all the way up past the bend to meet the black part of the dash like the one in the pic I posted......

Kraaken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you look at the close up pic i put on there facing the radio headunit you can see the difference between the real CF and the stuff that guy used... I havent found a center counsole in real yet so it is the fake stuff... looks good from far but when you really look at it its way off and as you can see easy to scratch, my least favorite part

OP
OP
J

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have my buddy Marc wrap it in this "carbon fiber", he did a test piece, (door bezel), and it looks great, (pic). He will remove the dash, and the radio surround too, it's a bit textured, semi-gloss finish and 6 mil thick......we'll see.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, we never really planned for the plasti-dip to be permanent, more just a feeler to see what we thought about doing a dash overhaul. It seemed pretty prone to scratching when I first painted it, but it does seem to have toughened up a little since. It seems to hold up well enough on wheels, so maybe I just didn't have the best technique since it was the first thing I've ever tried the stuff on. Did the backs of the seats as well since the coating was starting to peel off of them as well.

You can wax plasti-dip with a standard quik-wax and it will have much more scuff resistance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQK-8XKMDA8

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here it is in leather...

Where did you get the guage trim rings? I want to do my dash in leather and would need the rings. Thanks for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets