Getting ready to Zaino the Viper ... where to buy Fieldcrest towels?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am getting ready to perform a full scale "Zaino" of the RT/10 but I have been unable to find a good place to purchase Fieldcrest 100% cotton, made-in-the-USA towels. Any ideas where I can get these towels on-line? I tried to find a Fieldcrest website but was unsuccessful. Thanks.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fieldcrest went out of business. Cannon, also mentioned on the recommended towel list, owned Fieldcrest and went out as well. Trust me, I looked at every damn store until some lady in JCPenney told me of this.

I just went to the linen shop and purchased the most expensive towels possible.

Needless to say, THEY WERE HORRIBLE. They kept leaving lint and small fibers. They were the sofest damn towels too.

Follow the previous advice and get MICROFIBER cloths. They are absolutely the best.

While first waxing my viper, as previously stated, the towels left lint ALL OVER THE CAR. It was a mess. I then tried one of these microfiber cloths that I just purchased while shopping with the boss at a linen store. I am glad I picked it up. It was THE SAVIOR CLOTH. Not only did it get rid of all the lint, but it got rid of all the swirl marks as well. It cleans the car and leaves it looking like GLASS.

Bottom line, forget towels. No matter how good or expensive, they will always leave some lint or residue.

My advice, as listed in the Zaino recomendation, is get a electric leaf blower for heavy drying and these microbfiber colths for stubborn spots.

Attached is a link of the cloths I used. They are excellent. Best of luck and learn from my mistake! I cried when those towels almost screwed my paint!

www.mysticmaid.com

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the microfiber towels clean off easy in the wash and come back soft as new everytime..Get them...I keep about 10 on hand including microfiber towels for drying and smaller microfiber towels for waxing and polishing

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool: :2tu: Hey guys, why not use a product from a name we know and trust?? MEGUIAR"S sells a microfiber called Ultimate Wipe. Does all the good things you mentioned above. Great product! And they are a Viper sponser. I got mine free at VOI 8.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info guys. It looks like I going to go the "micro-fiber" route. So it is ok to use this product to wipe/buff off the Zanio polish?

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be warned, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
There are all kinds of micro fiber towels on the market.
Stick with name brands, and avoid the mass produced stuff.
I bought some at Costco and then Pep Boys and the quality was crap. I bought a bunch from pinnaclewax.com and they
were the *******.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I don't understand (and pardon my ignorance) about the microfibers use is this: They are not even 1% cotton, much less 100%. They are usually a nylon/polyester blend (never cotton), which I always understood to be bad for a fine finish or clearcoat such as the Viper's. No flame to anybody, just trying to figure out what is best for the car.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I don't understand (and pardon my ignorance) about the microfibers use is this: They are not even 1% cotton, much less 100%. They are usually a nylon/polyester blend (never cotton), which I always understood to be bad for a fine finish or clearcoat such as the Viper's. No flame to anybody, just trying to figure out what is best for the car.

I was wondering about that too but everyone seems convinced that mirco-fiber is the way to go. I guess 1,000 Viper owners could not be wrong (or could they?). :confused:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not convinced. I heard abut this personally in a phone call with Sal Zaino several years ago. I would not use anything with nylon or polyester in it. Now I own 4 black and 1 dark burgundy car so maybe I'm just more desperate than most. If you can't find the Cannon or Fieldcrest, just look for 100% cotton AND pure white, NO color in the towel, the color adds abrasion also according to Sal. I don't know where the story got blown up to where you had to have Cannon or Fieldcrest.....But what you need is....

100% Cotton, pure white, no color dye added. No polyester, no nylon. That is what has been proven to work according to Sal Zaino. Call him if you are not sure.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do as you wish, but my experience has given me good results with my car and microfiber with no scratches or swirl marks.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do as you wish, but my experience has given me good results with my car and microfiber with no scratches or swirl marks.

No disrespect intended, my yellow & black brother! I am just trying to figure out what the experts such as Sal Zaino, Meguire, and others think of a synthetic fiber on the clear coat, especially on a solid black car. I tried one I bought at Target (yeah, probably a poorly made one) and it left about six pounds of lint on my Denali. Didn't bother trying it with the Viper. Again, nothing more than curiosity on my part! :2tu:

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ones I have leave no lint at all. When there are swirl or scratch marks I have found it's usually because of dried wax on the towel. I think not using enough towels (microfiber or cotton) will leave scratches and swirls. Another thing I feel is important is to make sure each towel is 100% free of debri. Just because a towel is new or clean doesn't mean it's safe to use. Some times there will be a spec of this or that on a clean or new towel - not good. Especially microfiber, debri seems to stick to them like a magnet. With cotton, I have to rub more to remove the wax. I feel the more you rub the more scratches you get. Just my opinion, do not take my word for it.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Color DOES make a difference. Black is the worst with Sapphire right behind it. If you have a yellow or silver or steel car you may noice nothing at all. If you have a black or sapphire you need every bit of help you can get in the swirls and lint department. Scoobie, I bet you could never see stuff on the yellow that us poor bastids with black coud see.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Color DOES make a difference. Black is the worst with Sapphire right behind it. If you have a yellow or silver or steel car you may noice nothing at all. If you have a black or sapphire you need every bit of help you can get in the swirls and lint department. Scoobie, I bet you could never see stuff on the yellow that us poor bastids with black coud see.

Yeah, but I would not want micro-swirls even if they were not visible. Swirls are swirls and when you get enough of them .... everyone will notice.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

Do yourself a favor, forget the Fieldcrest cotton towels. Go with the microfiber towels from Megiuars. They won't scratch your clearcoat...promise. Much better removal of the wax with much less effort. Shouldn't take more then 3 towels for the Viper.

If you really wanna see great results with very little effort, get the Porter Cable random orbital polisher. Apply the wax with a foam pad and remove it with a micro fiber bonnet(2-3 for a Viper). No scratches, no swirl marks, just perfection with ease.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prompted by an earlier post, I checked out the goodie bag from VOI 8. Sure enough, found a Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe "Swirl Remover 'Wipe Off' Cloth" inside.

On the back of the package it says, "The performance of our Ultimate Wipes is so extraordinary, we have ended our 50 year insistence on only using 100% cotton terry cloth towels for wiping off polishes, waxes, and glass cleaners." Works for me!

Oh yeah, and Lee - having had pretty much black cars and nothing else, I can tell you without a doubt that these yellow guys have got it SO easy! ;)

Signed,

A Yellow Car Guy