Give-a way parts for VCA members

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy gave me 2 back stock rims and one front off a 96 GTS. Also got a stock muf with pipes for GTS. Any member wants them, let me know. Just pay shipping please.
Rims or ok but not new. Muf and pipes look good.

mhp1280

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would those fit on an 02 GTS? I am looking for a set of rims to mount up a set of tires for Autocrossing.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT use the '96 rims!!! They're CAST, not forged and are NOT good for drag racing or autocrossing. They do not buff to a shine, and you're better or with a set of '97 and newer rims if you're going to bother with a new set. The center section will snap and break off from the rest of the rim and leave you in a world of hurt. Cast=brittle...Forged=strong, and you can polish them too.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 polished rims are just fine for AX or drags, and the occasional DE weekend on street tires. I would NOT recommend them for R-compound tires and aggressive track use - which is just what I did with them for over 4 years.

I authored this thread //http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/529864-96-cast-welded-wheel-failure-photos.html several years ago, but now the photo links are dead and I can't re-edit the post to restore them. Here are the photos again anyway:

Original 96 GTS front rims:
You must be registered for see images attach

OEM Replacement 96 GTS rims: (check the casting and machining differences)

96 RT/10 rims: (no backside machining)

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pix. I'm assuming the things that look like spot welds on the hub are just that....and that that's where the breakage happens (if it happens)?

I have been told, but not sure that its true, that there is also a weld bead visible at the hoop. The pic below is of the inside of the hoop....and it doesn't look like any welds there.

Can someone who knows about the early Gen 2 wheels comment on the weld (or absence of it) in the hoop area?

DSC_0052.JPG

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're referring to mine in the classifieds, yes they are. :drive:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pix. I'm assuming the things that look like spot welds on the hub are just that....and that that's where the breakage happens (if it happens)?

I think what you're calling spot welds are actually drainage dimples to clear moisture between the hub and rim. The breakage happens at the root of the spokes, where I placed black Sharpie dots.
I have been told, but not sure that its true, that there is also a weld bead visible at the hoop. The pic below is of the inside of the hoop....and it doesn't look like any welds there.

DSC_0052.JPG

Your rims are indeed forged. Right below where the bumps start, there would be a clearly discernable weld bead all the way around the back of the wheel spider where the inner rim bell is attached on the early units.

james11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Gen 1 exhausts go out the side and GTS exhausts go out the rear so it is doubtfull. Depending on what he has, you might be able to make it work though since they are routed the same way.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the mufflers are still available, I will take it. I sent a PM earlier today. I'm actually only a few miles from you so can pick it up whenever.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSDean, thanks for clarifying; I appreciate the info. (Sorry if this is a report - the first one didn't show....)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang