Giving thoughts to mods

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my '01 GTS ACR Thursday, so it will be a little while until I start modding. However, I would like to know what are the best initial mods. I had my Vette modded with Long Tube headers, 3" mid/X-pipe, corsa exhaust, cold air intake, 160 Therm. Stat., LS1 edit, Aluminum Flywheel, lowered 1", spec 2 clutch and a few other minor mods. These all together gave me a great boost in performance.

Once I get use to the power and different driving dynamics, I would like to start with some light modding.

What are your suggestions?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First question How mcu $$ do you want that initial mod drop to be? And what is light modding?
These days, Vipers running under 800rwhp/tq are considered lightly modded by some around here! :eek:

Normally, headers/exhuast/cats, VEC2 are a good start! :2tu:

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First question How mcu $$ do you want that initial mod drop to be? And what is light modding?
These days, Vipers running under 800rwhp/tq are considered lightly modded by some around here! :eek:

Normally, headers/exhuast/cats, VEC2 are a good start! :2tu:

To achieve 800rwhp/tq would probably require more money than I would like to spend. What is VEC2?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous shot would be all you really need. Your Viper has plenty of power for anything short of racing another supercar.
For that, push the button.
Save the other money for HD axles and tires.
Any other mods are a very small dollar per horsepower investment compared to nitrous.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my '01 for just over a year. Did some drag racing and road racing and a little in between. I'm starting my mods with Woodhouse installing K&N's, smooth tubes, Bellanger headers, Random Tech cats, Corsa exhaust, and their own modified short throw shifter. Dyno will be before and after. They'll pick up the car when they have an empty trailer to take it to Omaha. After that, dare I say supercharger?

This will hold me for awhile.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC2 is engine management, shown great overall gain for the $$.
www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=81

There is a pretty big difference in Exhaust Sound from different makes. But Headers/3"exhuast and 3" HF cats are a great start. And will make your Viper sound like it should! :2tu:
Put that together with the VEC2 and you are adding a nice bump in HP/TQ through the whole RPM range and peak as well.
Although I do not believe the '01s will see as much of a jump as other years.
Many other mods, from wheels, brakes, blowers, NOS, suspension, etc.

Where do you want to go, how fast do you want to get there, and is it in a straight line or lots of curves??

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VEC2 is engine management, shown great overall gain for the $$.
www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=81

There is a pretty big difference in Exhaust Sound from different makes. But Headers/3"exhuast and 3" HF cats are a great start. And will make your Viper sound like it should! :2tu:
Put that together with the VEC2 and you are adding a nice bump in HP/TQ through the whole RPM range and peak as well.
Although I do not believe the '01s will see as much of a jump as other years.
Many other mods, from wheels, brakes, blowers, NOS, suspension, etc.

Where do you want to go, how fast do you want to get there, and is it in a straight line or lots of curves??

Thanks for the info. Why will '01's not see as much of a jump as other years?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're goint road racing wheels and brakes are all you need. Open the exhaust for some sound.

If you're going dragracing do what the rest of these guys are saying.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touching on what DaveT said, I'd say that 99% of us here started with K&Ns (or S&Bs) and smooth tubes. Its a cheap and easy 15 HP or so. Anything else will cost you about $50 per HP (rough guess based on header, cat-back, rockers, supercharger, etc. estimated costs). I only have the K&Ns and smooth tubes, and the cat-back is next for me.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Touching on what DaveT said, I'd say that 99% of us here started with K&Ns (or S&Bs) and smooth tubes. Its a cheap and easy 15 HP or so. Anything else will cost you about $50 per HP (rough guess based on header, cat-back, rockers, supercharger, etc. estimated costs). I only have the K&Ns and smooth tubes, and the cat-back is next for me.

Good luck!

Looks like I'll start with the K&N. Then headers, reprogram and exhaust.

Thanks.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cheap and quick upgrade? Tubes & S&B filters, open the exhaust up by putting a decent cat back system on and get rid of those POS cats that weigh a ton and retain so much heat. Don't forget the O2 simms. Then post a "Looking for a VEC1" post on this site or the Alley. Should be able to fetch one for about $200.00 with A/F gauge. If you want to really cheap, skip the cat back system and have a local muffler shop do rear muffler delete for you and leave the cats and resonators in the sills.
Tubes and filters $135.00, VEC1 $200.00 and muffler shop time aprox $100.00. That's $435.00 total and you will feel the difference!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good luck!

Thanks. [/quote

Get S&B's, less fitment problems! They are also a better design. My buddy and I cleaned our filters the other day. His are K&N's and mine are S&B's, side by side.....S&B are better product and about the same price. They fit so much better in the fiter housing too! The K&N's aren't as snug and I have had K&N's in my '94 and kept popping clips. My buddy's 2000 RT keeps losing clips and acourding to K&N (I have contacted them personally) they have no fittment issue's and when I told them they need to do some research because it's a known fact here on the VCA. I was told that anyone could say anything on the net :confused: So I guess we don't know what we're talking about. That in itself has coinvinced me to buy S&B's!

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks.

BJH,

Don't worry about the K&N's and smooth tubes, you already have them in your ACR. If you want, get another pair of K&N's (or S&B's) and a cleaning/oiling kit. Keep a clean set ready to go and rotate them. I rotate mine every other oil change and clean the dirty ones at my leisure. I agree, side by side, S&B do look like they're better made. You can get them from Sean Roe.

My next suggestion would be to go with high flow cats, and a catback system of your choice (Corsa, Borla, B&B). They all have a slightly different sound. Go to a VCA gathering and listen and decide for yourself.

Next, change out the rear gears to 3.54 for more neck snapping fun. :D

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave.......you must have gotten up earlier than the rest of us. Duh.....yes your ACR already has K&N's and smooth tubes!
Someone give Dave a cookie :headbang:

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. The resonators have already be removed. Also, what does S&B stand for and who sells them? Definitely need new exhaust, I want this thing to sound like it means business.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. The resonators have already be removed. Also, what does S&B stand for and who sells them? Definitely need new exhaust, I want this thing to sound like it means business.

You can get the filters from Roe Racing. Sean and Becky Roe are great people to deal with. They're an asset to the Viper community.

Click here for filters

Click here for cleaning kit

If you want your Viper to sound like it means business then delete the cat in addition to the after market exhaust system. :D

And don't forget the rules around here. New owners have to post pics of their rides. :cool:

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You can get the filters from Roe Racing. Sean and Becky Roe are great people to deal with. They're an asset to the Viper community.

Click here for filters

Click here for cleaning kit

If you want your Viper to sound like it means business then delete the cat in addition to the after market exhaust system. :D

And don't forget the rules around here. New owners have to post pics of their rides. :cool:

Thanks, I'll get the pictures on this weekend. Weather permitting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96