God doesnt want me to have a viper. Im serious.

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just walked in the door from going to pick up my new 2001 yellow rt10, but........................................... I left the car in Connecticut. I went and saw/test drove the car on Sunday and put a 5k deposit and shook the hand of the seller to seal the deal. I had to wait a few days to get the loan check overnighted to me so we agreed that i would come back today with the check and the difference in cash so i could take the car home. I left off with him that i still wanted to see the car up on a lift before i signed the check over and he agreed. I called my insurance company and put the car on my policy so i could just drive it home toady without any problems. We arranged to meet at the shop where he works so we can see underneath and once it went up in the air i immediately saw that both front frame rails were bent. IT MADE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH (which still hasn't gone away). There was no evidence of any repairs and without seeing it up on a lift it would be impossible to tell it was ever hit. Needless to say I didn't buy the car and drove home sitting in traffic on 95 for 3 hrs with my fists clenched and teeth grinding. I believe he knew about the damage (as well as the other guys at his shop who kept saying it wasn't bent that bad). please take my advice and DON'T BUY THE 01 YELLOW RT10 LISTED ON CRAIGSLIST IN NEW HAVEN CONNECTICUT. God really doesn't want me to get a viper. I am so fed up at this point i don't even feel like looking anymore.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
crap dude, im sorry. What a let down. At the very least you can take a few weeks off without obsessing over one and start somewhat fresh when u feel better. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. When it is right..it will be. If not..it will be ok too! You can see my thread about a car that I am not 100% on and I am just going to let it be. If people think it looks good then it will be with me; if not...I will feel just like you!

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take it as a sign, and buy a Kia. think of it, brand new car smell, you know its history, it will grow on you, really.

lol

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very bad luck there Kevin. I feel bad for you but I would say don't give up. You drove that car and felt the sweetness. Keep trying, the reward is worth the effort.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lemme save you some possible time....there's also a yellow 01' RT/10 on craigslist in Atlanta. I looked at it today for someone who was interested. I didn't see it on a lift, but its most likely been hit on the LH side. LH window won't go all the way down, "Viper RT/10" emblems are too low on the fenders, missing front bumper emblem, NACA duct is not the same shade yellow as rest of car (at least 2 shades darker yellow), missing some bolts that hold the bumper on...along with some other (smaller) issues

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You are very lucky that you discovered the bent frame. God was looking after you, he didn't want you to have THAT viper. Don't get in a hurry and you will find the right car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You are very lucky that you discovered the bent frame. God was looking after you, he didn't want you to have THAT viper. Don't get in a hurry and you will find the right car.

I concur. Don't be sad that car is bent - be happy you were smart enough to find it and not buy it! Good man.

It's unusual to see a rip-off attempt for a Viper. Most are in new condition and are well taken care of.

Congrats on finding the rip-off, and thanks for letting the rest of us know about it.

"God helps them that help themselves" and it looks like he helped you. Imagine the bummer if you would have bought it ...

Ted

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God closes a door and opens a window, or something like that. I just got off the phone with the guy who has the 97 blue and white gts with 9 k miles and he said he lost my number and he was glad i called because he wants to sell me the car instead of trading it in. Hopefully finding the bent frame was a blessing so now i can get what i really want. BLUE AND WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a pic of my z06 that was wrecked by a "friend". Can you tell what i was going for? lol please excuse the vermont plates, those pics are from the original seller. i didnt even have my own pics of the car until after the accident.
You must be registered for see images

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That a commemorative edition? Guy in my townhome complex has one that I took a look at after he decided to drool all over my viper. His looks similar but the front hood is painted carbon fiber.

Sorry to hear about the frame rails...

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, mine was not a commemorative edition. The commerative edition is a little different blue, was only made in 2004, and had decals for stripes. Mine was an 02 and the stripes were painted on after market.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just walked in the door from going to pick up my new 2001 yellow rt10, but........................................... I left the car in Connecticut. I went and saw/test drove the car on Sunday and put a 5k deposit and shook the hand of the seller to seal the deal. I had to wait a few days to get the loan check overnighted to me so we agreed that i would come back today with the check and the difference in cash so i could take the car home. I left off with him that i still wanted to see the car up on a lift before i signed the check over and he agreed. I called my insurance company and put the car on my policy so i could just drive it home toady without any problems. We arranged to meet at the shop where he works so we can see underneath and once it went up in the air i immediately saw that both front frame rails were bent. IT MADE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH (which still hasn't gone away). There was no evidence of any repairs and without seeing it up on a lift it would be impossible to tell it was ever hit. Needless to say I didn't buy the car and drove home sitting in traffic on 95 for 3 hrs with my fists clenched and teeth grinding. I believe he knew about the damage (as well as the other guys at his shop who kept saying it wasn't bent that bad). please take my advice and DON'T BUY THE 01 YELLOW RT10 LISTED ON CRAIGSLIST IN NEW HAVEN CONNECTICUT. God really doesn't want me to get a viper. I am so fed up at this point i don't even feel like looking anymore.

Sorry to hear that...but you saved yourself a lot of money and a ton of potential headaches. Also stay away from the '01 Yellow RT/10 at Mauro Motors in North Haven. Not only did it have front-end, frame damage but its been sitting out in their parking lot for just under a year.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the B/W doesn't work out for you, call Bernie at BJ Motors (site sponsor). He will hook you up, and if he doesn't have what you're looking for, he will find it. Anything he touches is in great condition. He helped me out big time!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've kept quiet during your search. Let me say the cheap most always comes out expensive. Your best buy will probably be made from a original owner/VCA member car. Other members can give much better feedback on cars that a fellow member has owned that they have seen and heard about.

That being said they won't be 35,000.00 either. Owners who take pride in the maintaince and care of their cars rarely give them away.

Pay 42-50,0000.00 and get the cream of the crop,probably w/some very good mods and a verifiable history.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely say someone was smiling on you. Otherwise, you might have bought a car not knowing there was a problem and ended up with a big mess on your hands somewhere down the road. Hopefully, the other car will work out for you. But, if not, take your time and find the "right" car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that's what the inside of the door looks like on a C-5. Just kidding! Seriously take your time and find a good car. Your price range is limiting you, but as stated above you'll be sorry if you buy a problem car. Vette parts are peanuts compared to a Viper, don't get caught compromising. Good Luck.

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just think of it this way, you've hopefully been able to save up more money throughout the months that this process is taking. The stars aligning for a purchase does happen, I managed to get my bonus to finish the savings for my viper at the same time the seller lowered the price on Autotrader right into my price range :).

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New haven is not all that far from Tators, if your ever unsure I'd give him a Buzz and if your not close (not sure where your located) one of us CT guys will help out

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i spoke to chuck while i was under the car and it wasnt even worth bringing it to him. He would of told me what i already knew, that the frame rails were not straight. I guess the guy selling it didnt think i knew what i was looking at and thought i didnt know what a straight frame looked like.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bernie still has a nice graphite RT10 for sale and he just posted a silver 98 RT10 with low miles.

Why don't you give him a call.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourself very very lucky if you get that B/W for the price you posted. Sometimes these wealthy guys that "dont know what they have" (or simply dont care) only deal with dealerships and are willing to lose thousands of $ on trading in out of convinience.

your X B/Wvette looked nice, keep that picture of it framed on your desk to remind you why no-one will be allowed to drive your viper, lol

goodluck

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were they asking a VERY low price because of the damage?

He started at 44900 and the he re listed it for 41,000 and i talked him down to 38,000 on sunday. He didnt start it low (which would have been fishy) I figured he just didnt care because to him it was just a car and he liked it. He wasnt an enthusiast by any measure.

I spoke to bernie before i went to go pick up the car yesterday and i didnt really talk business because i was under the impression that i was coming home with a viper. Ill give him a call back if the GTS doesnt work out.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you're assuming there IS a god. if there is he saved you from trouble on that car.....its a blessing

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
congrats on spotting the poo! that price sounded a bit too good to be true. you saved yourself a ton pain and suffering on that one. that gts is still my pick for you. just make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb!! if he is rethinking, the dealer may have rejected it for some reason. its better to be skeptical than wishful. and if the gts does not materialize, dont sweat it just keep looking. your car is out there somewhere. let it come to you.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the B/W doesn't work out for you, call Bernie at BJ Motors (site sponsor). He will hook you up, and if he doesn't have what you're looking for, he will find it. Anything he touches is in great condition. He helped me out big time!

I agree, go wit one of the site sponsor dealers. I bought my Sapphire/Silver from Bernie and love the car. You can buy with piece of mind knowing the car is correct.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transamer79,

I hope this GTS is your new baby! Just think how much more you'll appreciate this car after all you went through to get it!

Regards,
Aaron

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with agentf1. When I went to talk to Bernie, I had always wanted a 94 rt/10...then I talked to him for about 30 minutes and ended up with an 04 Mamba (great choice by the way). In the end, I have some great stories about getting the car and it was like I was meant to have THIS particular Viper. Read the post Bernie did about it and you'll understand.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/613979-new-owner-mike-sitton-heart-felt-story.html

Turns out the car was from the same county I was born in. Sometimes things can be serendipitous!