Going from a gen 3 to a gen 4

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a opportunity to jump into a gen 4 car. I would be trading my 04 with 2400 miles red, for a 08 with 1000 miles silver. Both verts.
The deal is my car plus 22k. Question is, is it worth it. The 08 has no warranty left which *****, but what can you do.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can you do? You can purchase an Max Care Warranty from Chrysler.

I just put a 7yr/50,000 mile Max Care (100$ Deductible) on my 1,700 mile '08 for ~$1,625. Piece of mind for a decent price.

Maybe try to work the warranty into the deal?

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
alot of money for the same body......

now an ACR is a different storey...

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there was a recent thread saying that only 1 08' was made in silver, and the history is questionable? Is this the 08' you speak of?

Good Point, tcsracing1 ...... you could add 100 HP for a lot less than 22k

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What can you do? You can purchase an Max Care Warranty from Chrysler.

I just put a 7yr/50,000 mile Max Care (100$ Deductible) on my 1,700 mile '08 for ~$1,625. Piece of mind for a decent price.

Maybe try to work the warranty into the deal?
Thought the warranty cant be extended if you go past your in service date. Which this car is

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought there was a recent thread saying that only 1 08' was made in silver, and the history is questionable? Is this the 08' you speak of?

Good Point, tcsracing1 ...... you could add 100 HP for a lot less than 22k
Not sure about this, car has 1000 miles. I will do some checking

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure the Gen IV will get cracked at some point, but right now the ability to mod the Gen III is a plus to me. If I were buying all over again I would probably grab a Gen IV... or sell a body part for an ACR. That being said it would have to be a very special Gen IV or a smoking deal for me to jump ship.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
22k is alot for almost the same car. ACR would be well worth the difference, if you were a track rat. If you don't drive that much anyway, what difference does it make.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
22k is alot for almost the same car. ACR would be well worth the difference, if you were a track rat. If you don't drive that much anyway, what difference does it make.
Very true, the only way to do this would be with a ACR. Case closed

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, you can add the MaxCare Warranty up until 4 years from the In Service Date. Just did that with mine, 1 month short of 4 years.

cashcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exotic Motor's has an 08 silver vert with 1k miles for 69.9k on autotrader.com Is this the one your thinking of? Looks awesome.. I wonder also if that is the origanal color?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven the gen IV car, and don't get me wrong, they are great -its a gen III only better. But if you're at all contemplating an upgrade in the Viper world that's gonna cost any significant coin like that, wait a little and pull the trigger on a gen V. It looks like that would really be stepping it up.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exotic motors is a bunch of young ********** selling garbage. And yes ive looked at many cars there. The orange ACR they have is beat to hell. And the silver one i was going to look at they bought on ebay for 59 and its back on that site for like 69.
They have a very good phtographer, and thats it. Never going back there.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do a lot with 22K on the car you already have. Throw on a 08+ hood, change the wheels along with new tires, do full exhaust, intake, cam(?), change the gears, and a good tune. It would be a whole new car. Thats what I am planning on doing in a couple years. The only way I would trade my 03 is either a good deal on a coupe, or like others pointed out, ACR.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do this for that along with a bunch of other mods. The only thing the genIV has on me now is the tranny. I though about swapping a new tranny in but there wasn't enough bang for the buck....

F

FrgMstr

I have a opportunity to jump into a gen 4 car. I would be trading my 04 with 2400 miles red, for a 08 with 1000 miles silver. Both verts.
The deal is my car plus 22k. Question is, is it worth it. The 08 has no warranty left which *****, but what can you do.

Considering you drive your Viper 300 miles a year, I would suggest it will make no difference at all to you. Save your money instead of investing in something that is only going to depreciate.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven the gen IV car, and don't get me wrong, they are great -its a gen III only better. But if you're at all contemplating an upgrade in the Viper world that's gonna cost any significant coin like that, wait a little and pull the trigger on a gen V. It looks like that would really be stepping it up.

What he said...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This seems about right, as I have also been looking at this type of transaction myself. However, didn't you just get int0 that 04 from your 03? Why didn't you jump into the Gen 4 then?

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This seems about right, as I have also been looking at this type of transaction myself. However, didn't you just get int0 that 04 from your 03? Why didn't you jump into the Gen 4 then?
Im a *****, but recently sold my ZO6, which now gives me the opportunity to do this. I relly want to get into a ACR, but i might just hold out and see what happens with the new Viper coming out.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you keep your '04, do yourself a favor and check that crank bolt. The '04s were notorious for the crank bolt walking loose.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you keep your '04, do yourself a favor and check that crank bolt. The '04s were notorious for the crank bolt walking loose.
unscrewed it by hand when i got the car home. Replaced and torqued correctly. I got lucky there. and put some locktite on the bolt as well.