Going to traffic court today, need advice

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reallly need some good advice here.
If you can remember, i got a bogus ticket for Exhibition of speed. I was at a red light w/ 3 cop cars in view. Slight incline, light turned green, let off e-brake and coasted backwards.. Let of clutch a little more aggressive so as not to stall, making a left turn.. Left rear tire breaks loose w/ a "chirp". Gave me exhibition of speed.

Court at 1:30 EST for prelim hearing. Don't know if I should plead no contest and to ask for witholding of points (that is saying basically I'm guilty) or plead innocent and it's my word against the cops and all I can do is explain the situation. I have photos of the intersection, my car, and no tread marks, etc on pavement in the photos. Should I fight it or just plead no contest??????

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

All I can say is the whole things stinks. I wish I could give you some great advice. I hope the judge realizes the bs and lets it go. Let us know how it works out. Pulling for ya

It could happen to any of us

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask your traffic attorney to handle it. Many of us gave you that advice- you *are* taking it- aren't you?
smile.gif

In the absence of an attorney, offer deep humility- the judge will assume the officer to be an upstanding citizen with impecible skills of observation.

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK DUDE,
I GO TOMORROW.WE'RE GOING TO BEAT THIS CRAP.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys did give me advice for a traffic attorney. But the cost for court is $ 350 to $500, I've already consulted w/ 2 attorneys for $ 50 bucks a pop. So I haven't even been to court yet and I'm out $100 in cash and 4 hours of my time when I could have been making money.
Now why would I need one for a $83 dollar ticket? I've checked my insurance and it will only go up about $60 bucks a year if found guilty. I've weighed them out and hiring an attorney lost out. If I did only plead guilty no contest, anyone can do that. I think I'll plead innocent and stand up for what I believe and if the cops win, well, it'll catch up w/ them in the long run. It always does. That's why they're fat, outta shape and have miserable careers for the most part.
smile.gif

Thanks

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plead innocent and you'll get a court date. You need to ask for an extension/new court date at least once. (wait a couple of weeks to do this) If you can set it up for a Friday afternoon or sometime that may be inconvenient for the officer and he "no shows"....you walk. If he shows, you fight it out and probably lose. If your polite, well dressed and ask for the smallest fine possible you'll probably get it. (if the officer shows)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A jury trial is not always an option depending on what state you are in. I believe you mentioned that these officers know you and may have it out for you (if I am incorrect, my apologies). If that is the case, they will make it a point to be at your hearing, no matter how inconvenient for them. The best option I can see is to have a lawyer represent you. It's costly, but it beats having a point or two on your record.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gearld,
Ok, here goes, you could plead innocent, wait for new court date. Next, try to find out when the officer is on vacation( I'm sure you have some kind of "connection" within the police department). Keep postponing the court date until it falls during that time. He doesn't show....the rest is history. Not that I have ever had any personal experience with this sort of thing
embarass.gif
Good luck.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST BEAT THE TICKET!!! JUST GOT BACK. COP DIDN'T SHOW UP.
Looser knows I would've won. Ticket was dismissed....

yeeee haawwww

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Gerald. Way to go!

I'm really surprised that an Exhibition of Acceleration ticket would only cause insurance to go up 60 bucks....

ya done good!

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEAHH!!! Thanks guys,

yeah, insurance would've only gone up 60 bucks. But I'm sure if another ticket was after that, then BAM, maybe unaffordable..

Chris,
Doug has a nice downpayment and parts are already being ordered.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Gerald!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cherm:
Good thing you didn't waste $$$ on the law ****...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, watch it!
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
I JUST BEAT THE TICKET!!! JUST GOT BACK. COP DIDN'T SHOW UP.
Looser knows I would've won. Ticket was dismissed....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...you sort of won. You're still out the 100 bucks for the lawyers and 4+ hours of your time. You see, they win even when they loose.

Congrats anyway!

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah OK chuck, next time I need a pep talk, I won't call you.
By the way, still sore from the jail cell in Georgia? Or did they really win? OUCH!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude