Good start in weight reduction for the new SRT Coupe

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears one of the biggers goals for DC is weight reduction, thus the shorter tail on the new coupe. There are many ways to reduce the pounds but let's start with the overall length and then work on the other weight reduction tricks.

IMO DC is on the right track for the future Viper. I really like what has been started with the SRT Coupe. Time to buy!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, you can chop off the rest of that butt ugly rear end and save even more weight!

--------------------
:2tu:

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't care about weight ratio, but I do care about styling, and HP. This car as is, is a flop in my humble opinion. Come on DC give us what we had hoped for, and that is a GTS-R Coupe. I thought that was the reason for concept cars, which was to get ideas on design and to gauge opinion. Oh well, they might of just saved a lot of us some hard earned money. anybody else feel that way? :usa: :usa: :(

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TomSlick,

You're right on the money!! The GTS-R and that's all we need and it will rock on looks alone, let alone handling and power that will bite just about anything out there. DC are you listening?? The design is in your files, stop waisting time and money, just build it and watch the sales go up.

Anyone I show the picture of the GTS-R to is ecstatic about its looks alone. It just suits the Viper so well, it fits the Viper image and it expresses what the Viper is all about. Park it anywhere and you will get more looks and stares than anything on the street. The design just screams Viper from bumper to bumper. It will be the sought-after design all over the world because it ROCKS!!!! The GTS-R concept is Viper!!!!

Good night.
:2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that the Comp Coupe would have been too funky looking on the street, especially with a decent amount of ground clearance to drive it.

Frankly I was expecting worse for the SRT-Coupe, and I'm glad that it's a morphed design from the GTS, and not looking more like the Crossfire or 300C. :(

Weight reduction will be key, as will raising the production HP and TQ. :2tu:
The Viper needs to stay well ahead of the C6 Z06 Corvette, and hopefully the upgraded model will be able to keep up with the added-boost Ford GT that's now running low 11s at over 130MPH!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to SRT engineers at open meeting at VOI. They were asking about weight reduction. Said it was easier to improve performance by taking out weight, than by increasing HP. They inquired as to the interest in titanium brakes if it could reduce unsprung, and rotation weight by over 40 lbs. No objections heard.
They were a serious group, and seemed sincerely interested gaining reactions to the future of Viper from current Viper Owners.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are really interested in reducing weight on the car, then I sure would like to speak to them. I've discovered many ways of achieving this. The titanium brakes would be way to expensive. The SRT is a very easy car to reduce weight on.

Skip White

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Ti brakes be too expensive? Curious. Titanium prices have fallen alot since the cold war days, correct?
I thought producers were scrambling for new applications.
Does it have less to do with material costs?

Educate me please!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, since many are commenting on the back end, I for one think it is great, but maybe many haven't noticed the taillights and the similarity to the past. In viewing the car there were more folks I talked to that liked the behind than those that did not, and as a group I imagine they are less vocal than the detractors. DC already hinted that this is not the end result and there will be some changes in that area, but I for one was impressed with their dedication to weight reduction. There were comments the car was within 50 lbs of the convertible, and I assumed initially that meant more. After chatting further I started to wonder, and with their focus I believe we should all be pleased that this is a priority.The design of a trunk opening that would negate all the scratches from dragging luggage over the old spoiler is a boon for alot of the folks who use their Snakes for traveling. Overall, the Comp Coupe look is great on a race car, but for ease of storage, etc., many , myself included, find the slab sided back less conducive for driving on the street, and frankly baby has too much back for my tastes. Go with the new , useful design, and make the minor changes that will make an added statement - they leaked their thoughts and it mirrors some owners desires, but it will be emminently more practical than Coupes of the past.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill --

You've got some good points. But keep in mind that what Viper owners want is a car that makes their soul sing, not one that covers their worries about luggage scratching. I'm all for some more practicality, but if we're buying a car for the creature comforts we can buy a C6 for half the price -- they've already thought out most of those things a lot better!

Understand, if you've got to explain it, you're already behind the curve. Dodge can't try to be all things to all people with this car. Think about what happened to the Thunderbird and the Mustang when the committees got to them -- two high image brands wasted (even though the Mustang has sold a lot of cars because of its price point -- not the case with the Viper).

They've got to build a breath grabber for the next Viper coupe. They can always refine the small touches in following years. Otherwise, the dream is dead -- killed by Detroit corporate overthink. If Dodge builds the coupe like the VOI concept, don't advise Woodhouse to stock many -- because they aren't going to sell!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, Bruce I have faith in a couple of things;

1. The phone hasn't stopped ringing for two days from folks who love the car just as it is - and we know it is not quite complete.
2. I think alot of folks are so anal about keeping their cars nice ( I have always been one of them, I admit ) , that a easy lift over is extremely smart - especially for the vertically challenged.
3. Voting with checkbooks, I am already convinced this will sell like hotcakes.
4. Dodge engineers and designers busted butt to have an almost complete car to show the faithful, and I am keeping the faith that what will come to pass will meet many folks criteria.
5. Those that saw the car, most were blown away, and it appears many who aren't sure about the car have not seen it in person.

We all are passionate about this car, we will never change, but where will we find a group of engineers, designers, automotive executives, marketing personnel, who will listen to us and try to please as many of us as DC is doing? In the end with the tweaks so many alluded to, this will be an even more stunning beauty than now. I will elect to support SRT , as I know , in my heart they are listening -- and at present, not sleeping , trying to make a car that will meet the needs and desires of most of us.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot understand people who knock the srt-10. The car is aesthetically pleasing as it stands, just like all the other vipers of different years. When the srt-10 run is over, and there become less and less, it will be a classic like the others (since like the others it is limited production. And no I don't expect it to appreciate). So the viper will evolve. What's the problem? They can do a lot of stuff, but if the price gets into above 100k sticker, that's when I start looking at what else is around---just like I got out of vettes.
They can do all the weight reduction they want, but unless it has at least 600hp, I won't be tempted.
:D

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill --

I'm sure you know that there has been a howl about that rear end since at least March of this year. Not much has happened between then and the VOI. Are they really listening?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a "detractor", I want to be a booster. It's just that someone with some guts needs to get ahold of this project and make sure it doesn't lay an egg. Strong leadership is needed to overcome the whining of those who claim "He just doesn't understand . . ." and get a stunning product out there.

I'm not throwing rocks, I'm just trying to reason a realistic business case and motivate "our" team to reach their potential. They've got to reach deeper and we all have confidence they can do it.

Don't be misled by a few quick calls from zealots who will quickly jump on the chance to get anything new with a Viper name on it (even a new paint job). The current concept doesn't have legs. Let's push for a home run that will drive the prospective customers crazy and make you guys a lot of bucks over a long run. You've got a great dealership and with your loyalty you deserve the very best product.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is all that needs to be said: All else being equal, which body style would you prefer - The VOI concept GTS or the GTS-R concept? Can someone say landslide? Why not give the people what they want? And save the 'Bean Counter' comments about cost....

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept1.jpg

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept3.jpg

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Good start in weight reduction for the new SRT Coupe

Nice pictures, if you like living in the past. Don't you people have anything to discuss on your own forum? Why bother us, we like our srt-10s. If you want to cry about dodge and what they are doing and not doing, I am sure they read your forum. Take a break and do some more polishing, add a few more stripes and tail fins. You can even drive the darn thing :eek:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice pictures, if you like living in the past. Don't you people have anything to discuss on your own forum? Why bother us, we like our srt-10s. If you want to cry about dodge and what they are doing and not doing, I am sure they read your forum. Take a break and do some more polishing, add a few more stripes and tail fins. You can even drive the darn thing :eek:

Not quite sure I understand this response, but you are living in the past if you prefer the blue car pictured above, at least stylistically. The GTS-R concept flows similar to the SRT-10, just much more aggressive - which was the major complaint with the SRT-10. The GTS-R's styling is very current and hot, IMO, and would be a nice evolution to the Gen II coupe. The VOI concept looks like a cross-bred version of the Gen II/Gen III that was cut/pasted. The GTS-R is the future, the VOI concept is the past. I understand it's just a concept, but I am going to insert my opinion everywhere possible hoping they build the 'real deal'. Can you honestly say (all else equal) you prefer the styling of the VOI concept over the GTS-R? If so, I think you would be one of the few.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I like them both!

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought and love my srt-10 because it was a styling change from my gts coupe and it offered more hp. I know the srt-10 coupe is a natural progression stylewise from the '03 srt/gts coupe, but I would not buy the new coupe no matter how much horsepower it had because the rear end looks way too much like the gts coupe. We already have a similar rear in the gts. Having said that I would buy a new coupe if it had more of the lines at the rear of the GTS-R and 550 to 600hp. I would also buy the carbon concept srt-10 if it had 550 to 600hp if it were to be produced on a limited basis. In fact I wish they would make the carbon concept parts available for us to buy and install on our current srt-10 especially if Dodge is not going to produce the Carbon Concept. Just my two cents worth.

eagles

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I especially liked the rear end and the bubble top to emphasize the tie in with the GTS. The new coupe looks like a true road car to be used. The orignal R concept is wild and all, but what we are going to get is truely and evolution of the past into the future. Good work DC.
Bill P is right on.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Not quite sure I understand this response, but you are living in the past if you prefer the blue car pictured above, at least stylistically. The GTS-R concept flows similar to the SRT-10, just much more aggressive - which was the major complaint with the SRT-10. The GTS-R's styling is very current and hot, IMO, and would be a nice evolution to the Gen II coupe. The VOI concept looks like a cross-bred version of the Gen II/Gen III that was cut/pasted. The GTS-R is the future, the VOI concept is the past. I understand it's just a concept, but I am going to insert my opinion everywhere possible hoping they build the 'real deal'. Can you honestly say (all else equal) you prefer the styling of the VOI concept over the GTS-R? If so, I think you would be one of the few.

I'm calling it the Combo Coupe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960