got my first speeding ticket in my viper

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
driveing to a friends house and got my first speeding ticket, He says he was doing 100 trying to catch up to me, and that I was still pulling away from him. so that is what he wrote the ticket for. 100mph in a 65mph this *****. This is my first ticket ever. I hope they let me take some sort of class so it doesnt show up on my driveing record. any lawyers with some free advice, Is it right for them to ask what race you are? I felt it was none of his business. And further more if the cop couldn't look at me and tell what race I am he shouldnt be a cop, I mean what other race has slant eyes. I almost told him that I am chinkanese a new bread but I didnt, I kept my cool. and asked him what he wrote the ticket out for. He said 100mph, and I replied oh is that all thats not to bad, But I am worried about reckless driving? what do you guys think?

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see why they need to ask you what race you are! What's that got to do with a speeding ticket? Unless he was just curious?! Slightly off-topic but I got followed round downtown Davis, CA last night by a cop. Took every turn I did and didn't stop following until I got onto the freeway. I was hounded out of town! I felt very guilty even though I hadn't done anything. They've got nothing better to do in Davis.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why they need to ask you what race you are! What's that got to do with a speeding ticket?
exactly what does it have to do with a speeding ticket? Im 33 but look 25 I was dressed normal holey jeans, t-shirt and flip flops, I got the impression he thought I might not be legit. I think the cop was thinking how can a young asian guy afford a car like this. The cop is thinking drug dealer. And being my dad is a retired cop I told him the same thing, and he agreed because when he was on the street he assumed the same thing. My dad says it's right but it society

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try getting a lawyer in the same town chances are he knows the judge and maybe knock it down to reckless driving. I did that in NJ and just paid a lawyer and fine but no points on my license. One expensive ticket just and idea. Good luck,Adrian

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The race question was definitly out of line. Not sure if it could help you fight the ticket though. The cop would prob just deny he asked. The part that bothers me is him GUESSING what speed you were doing. I know some cops are trained to tell speed with their eyes, and they can "track" a car using the police car's speedometer, but it doesnt sound like he was doing either. To track a car, I think the police have to follow you closely for atleast 2 miles. Not just catch up to you and see how fast they had to go! If you and a cop race to some landmark and you are 1 mile away and he's 5 miles away, you can drive the speedlimit and the cop can drive 100mph and you'll still beat him. Just because the cop had to go 100mph doesnt mean you were speeding b/c you had the headstart on him. I hope that makes sense. What detection method (radar, eye, tracking, etc.) did he say was used on the ticket?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you sure he asked, "What race are you?" as opposed to "What race are you in?" (after all, you were speeding). Two totally different meanings yet one little word changes everything.

Santo

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
ACTUALLY, the race question is standard. If you inspect the citation carefully, you'll probably see the "RACE" box, which he is supposed to fill out. All that info helps police track you down if you fail to appear for the ticket.

Why are you all a bunch of cop haters? You were obviously making smart-a$$ comments about "only 100....?" so you speeding isn't a question. We ALL expect to get stopped when we get caught doing 100 mph plus. The officer asked the identifying question about race just like in some states they ask for height, weight, SSN, etc.

I have a friend that's an officer and he's half vietnamese and half hispanic. Nobody knows exactly what race he is. Just so the officer doesn't get it wrong, he politely asks. Quit trying to belittle the officer and go tell the judge you're sorry!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a cop hater, but I am a speeding ticket hater. I respect policeman 100% for what they do to make the country safer. I just dont think writing speeding tickets is really solving a lot of problems. It was a policeman shot in the face last week in GA when he approached a car he had pulled over for speeding. The cop is going to be ok after some plastic surgery to his lip, but was it worth a bullet to give this guy a speeding ticket?

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a cop hater, but I am a speeding ticket hater. I respect policeman 100% for what they do to make the country safer. I just dont think writing speeding tickets is really solving a lot of problems. It was a policeman shot in the face last week in GA when he approached a car he had pulled over for speeding. The cop is going to be ok after some plastic surgery to his lip, but was it worth a bullet to give this guy a speeding ticket?

Ask the mini van of people who moved into the passing lane, not expecting the car behind them to be running up onto them at 100.... I know, we all are safe and speed/play where there are no cars. They are just doing their job.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The race question was definitly out of line. Not sure if it could help you fight the ticket though. The cop would prob just deny he asked. The part that bothers me is him GUESSING what speed you were doing. I know some cops are trained to tell speed with their eyes, and they can "track" a car using the police car's speedometer, but it doesnt sound like he was doing either. To track a car, I think the police have to follow you closely for atleast 2 miles. Not just catch up to you and see how fast they had to go! If you and a cop race to some landmark and you are 1 mile away and he's 5 miles away, you can drive the speedlimit and the cop can drive 100mph and you'll still beat him. Just because the cop had to go 100mph doesnt mean you were speeding b/c you had the headstart on him. I hope that makes sense. What detection method (radar, eye, tracking, etc.) did he say was used on the ticket?
the ticket says radar/pace

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree police are just doing their job. Thats why I hate the system, not the enforcer. I just think police manpower could be much better utilized in other areas instead of chasing down speeders. Alot of speed related crashes could've been avoided if the person in car #2 just checked their mirrors and blindspot before making a lane change. When you are driving a vehicle, you're responsible for your actions and watching out for other driver's actions. Aalways check your mirrors and if you can, glance over your shoulder to be sure noone is in your blindspot. If you see a car coming up at a fast rate of speed, just let them go by before you change lanes.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a lawyer.
Usually they can negotiate the points to a minimum or nothing. You still pay the fine and a lawyer.
Better than the raw deal without one.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you know what speed he got you at on the radar? If you were doing say, 80 mph, you have an 80mph headstart on him so ofcourse he's gonna go 100+ to keep up with you. Now if he paced you long enough at 100mph or if he got you at 100mph on the radar, then you could be in trouble. You may wanna just get a lawyer and work out some plea to get the speeding dropped down so your insurance company doesnt find out. I hate paying a speeding ticket, but as long as your ins. co. doesnt find out, you'll be ok. Insurance companies are blood suckers and will **** you for every penny they can.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said he clocked me at 100. and I was still pulling away from him. But the ticket says pace/radar, what does clocked mean?

Do you know what speed he got you at on the radar? If you were doing say, 80 mph, you have an 80mph headstart on him so ofcourse he's gonna go 100+ to keep up with you. Now if he paced you long enough at 100mph or if he got you at 100mph on the radar, then you could be in trouble. You may wanna just get a lawyer and work out some plea to get the speeding dropped down so your insurance company doesnt find out. I hate paying a speeding ticket, but as long as your ins. co. doesnt find out, you'll be ok. Insurance companies are blood suckers and will **** you for every penny they can.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your dads a retired cop, I would think he would have the answers to your questions.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if it gets dropped to a lower speed you wont have to worry about the wreckless driving charge, or any other charges that they tack on to excessive speeding tickets. I know in GA, as long as you're not doing 15+ over the speedlimit, all you do is pay the fine and thats it. Its not reported to your insurance company and no other "add-on" charges are pressed

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your dads a retired cop, I would think he would have the answers to your questions.
I dont really want to get my dad involved, he doesnt need to know about it, all I will get from him is a ear full of, you shouldn;t be going that fast, etc. etc.etc

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont really want to get my dad involved, he doesnt need to know about it, all I will get from him is a ear full of, you shouldn;t be going that fast, etc. etc.etc

What I wouldve done is the second I got the ticket, I wouldve called my dad and dealt with the lecture and then asked him if he'd call the cop who pulled you over and see if he could reason with him. I'm sure your dad would be upset about the speed, but I doubt he'd want to see you have to pay the ticket or court fines and attorney fees. My dad worked at the courthouse for 15 years and is now a jailer, and its saved my butt a few times. Policemen seem to be willing to do favors for other law enforcement personnel most of the time. Now that the policeman has got off duty and turned his tickets in, you either better know the Chief of police or find a good attorney im afraid.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
100 in a 65 around here is jail time. Get yourself a lawyer and hopefully you can plea down because this is your first ticket. It's your word against his on how fast you were going. You wont win that battle.

I would get your dad involved if he has a chance to get this reduced or thrown out..do you want to go to jail, get 6 points on your license (reckless here) pay a massive fine, etc etc..Good Luck.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depending where you live look in the phone book for a firm like "Points" or "Tickets". These are non lawyers who show up on your behalf in court to fight tickets. Usually ex policemen. They know what tripped them up on traffic charges and if nothing else can usually get tickets reduced.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, Get a Lawyer !

I experienced the exact same thing !

I got one for a 105mph in a 65mph two years ago. He reduced it to a 90 on the ticket but he wrote radar speed as 105mph. He told me he was doing me a favor and the only reason he wasn't going to arrest me was because his shift had ended and he was on his way home. Was I doing it? Yes. Funny thing was 105 was under heavy braking because I saw him at the last second! LOL. He was going northbound and I was going southbound on a divided highway.
Anyway It was by a state trooper from a small town. The court appearance was in a small town.I thought man....I'm screwed. I have a sheriff friend that couldn't help me here but he gave the best advice ever. He told me what lawyer to get in that area. I contacted him and $1100 later (fines included) I was out of it. No points! No defensive driving ! Nothing! I didn't even have to show up for court. What happened? He got my ticket reduced and because of my driving record (clean) the reduced speed was the final fine/ticket. In Indiana we have a 6 month probation period for good drivers. If you have a clean record of two years and you don't get a ticket within 6 months of the one (2 pointer - 15 miles over or less) then it will never show up on your license. I checked my record months after that and it never showed up. Chalk it up as a expensive joy ride but by all means pay the extra. I have four vehicles and I can't imagine what this would have done to my insurance premiums.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my share of speeding tickets as a teen. With the Viper, I am thankful in a weird sort of way the cops are out there. The fear of getting a ticket is the only thing restraining me from going nuts and killing myself. Best of luck in court.

jimmy8541

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some departments require officers to list race and sex for traffic stops. The reason is usually for studies on racial profilling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960