Grease fitting cracked???? HELP!

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The title may not be clear, but I have enclosed a picture to show the area in question. I have a 2000GTS I removed the driver side rear wheel and noticed a clump of grease above the control arm, near the round "screw tip" above the black rounded part. I'm not sure how severe this problem is?? I'm contemplating bringing the car in for service, but right now I have little time. Can I still drive the car in this condition? I have monitored the area and found no more grease clumping, so I'm not sure what the deal is??? Sorry, for not knowing the correct terminology. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thingy is a grease fitting; where they hook the grease gun to to inject the grease. All I see is a little left over grease. Looks normal to me. When you hear squeaks and moans from there, then you have a problem.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That thingy is a grease fitting; where they hook the grease gun to to inject the grease. All I see is a little left over grease. Looks normal to me. When you hear squeaks and moans from there, then you have a problem.

thanks for the response, is it normal for these things to leak grease perhaps over a bad bump or pothole???

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's called a 'zerk' fitting. there's a spring-loaded check ball that keeps grease from back-flowing. If you don't wipe the fitting before pumping in fresh lube, a grain of sand can stick the ball open. Overfilling the boot will cause a nasty purging mess under shock loads as Chuck mentioned. You need just enough to start to puff the boot slightly.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's called a 'zerk' fitting. there's a spring-loaded check ball that keeps grease from back-flowing. If you don't wipe the fitting before pumping in fresh lube, a grain of sand can stick the ball open. Overfilling the boot will cause a nasty purging mess under shock loads as Chuck mentioned. You need just enough to start to puff the boot slightly.

What do you suggest I do? I tightened the bolt somewhat, then I drove the car, checked it and there seemed to be no grease pile up. Can it be driven in this condition without damage to other components?

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the rubber boot split - in the picture? May just be my eyesight. If so, you need to
get a replacement before the joint gets damaged.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the rubber boot split - in the picture? May just be my eyesight. If so, you need to
get a replacement before the joint gets damaged.

the rubber boot seems to be intact, just "extended" a bit. Should I worry, or can I still drive the car and service it later?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove for more than a year with a split boot. Replcement procedure for a rear Gen I made me procrastinate for a loong time. No bother, as I never drove in the rain and kept to fairly clean roads, the joint was almost like new when I replaced it.

Like Dean said, dirve it. It will not go bad quickly.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove for more than a year with a split boot. Replcement procedure for a rear Gen I made me procrastinate for a loong time. No bother, as I never drove in the rain and kept to fairly clean roads, the joint was almost like new when I replaced it.

Like Dean said, dirve it. It will not go bad quickly.

cool guys, thanks for the help and reassurance. I'll monitor it, but I won't lose sleep over it.