Great roads... I love my driving this car!!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm wondering what are the best, coolest, funnest roads in America??.... I went down to the "Dragon's Tail" a few weeks ago and frickin' loved it!! but I've done it before....

I've done the BRP from DC to NC/TN several times!! (I think that takes the cake) but where else to go?????? Can anything beat 500 miles of twisties???... anywhere? (not a track??)

Wow, I need a fix again already (I must be addicted)!!! I'm good for 200+ miles a cruise these days.....

Let's hear about your circuit? How far and how fast?.. got pics? Here's my latest Dragon shot....
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend you come to Texas next year for the Viper Round-up. :drive:

I don't think we're in the same league as some of the roads through the eastern seaboard. We have some great things in the hill country in the areas around Austin and San Antonio, but I've heard that the Dragon's Tail and I guess this BRP (what's that?) are a step up.

I was at the Texas Viper Round Up and had a blast :headbang:

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drove from Texas through New Mexico to Arizona, was a really enjoyable ride. After Roswell there's a long curvy road for a long ways, then ya get to the white sands area where it's 75mph and you get to see jets over head

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think we're in the same league as some of the roads through the eastern seaboard. We have some great things in the hill country in the areas around Austin and San Antonio, but I've heard that the Dragon's Tail and I guess this BRP (what's that?) are a step up.

I was at the Texas Viper Round Up and had a blast :headbang:
I assume that BRP is the Blue Ridge Parkway.

And while I do enjoy our drives her in Central TX, I must admit that they are no where near many other roads. For instance, in NW Arkansas, there are hundreds of miles of roads (in excellent condition mind you) that are equal to, or top, the roads on the Dragon and BRP (and yes, I have driven them).

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing is more fun than tracking. Now if some of the tracks were built like roads that would be fun.

It is out there and it is called Nürburgring, Chuck!

Too bad we are an Ocean away.

Could not agree more that nothing is more fun at the wheel than tracking in a Viper.

The track is the natural habitat for it.

Of course out here we have our own favorites such as the Mulholland Highway, meandering through the Santa Monica Mountains, overlooking the Pacific.

Phil

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Texas people, has anyone driven the "Devils Backbone" down around San Marcos, Wimberly, Blanco?

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Humm, Devils Backbone.... sounds like my kind of place...

Sorry to start a second twisy road thread... I didn't see the first.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm wondering what are the best, coolest, funnest roads in America??.... I went down to the "Dragon's Tail" a few weeks ago and frickin' loved it!! but I've done it before....

I've done the BRP from DC to NC/TN several times!! (I think that takes the cake) but where else to go?????? Can anything beat 500 miles of twisties???... anywhere? (not a track??)

Wow, I need a fix again already (I must be addicted)!!! I'm good for 200+ miles a cruise these days.....

Let's hear about your circuit? How far and how fast?.. got pics? Here's my latest Dragon shot....
You must be registered for see images attach

I might be doing Tail of the Dragon with some friends in the fall; are there any good online guides that dissect the road in terms of driving, safety etc. I have been on tailofthedragon.com and am aware of the safety issues but was looking more of a driving breakdown from someone with experience.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you goto the dragons tail you have to go to the skyway. It is only another 20-30 miles away and it is awesome as well. The dragons tail is fun but I think it would probably be funer in an sti or evo because the turns are really tight. The skyway is long sweeping turns that are incredible and alot less traveled. If I do the dragons tail again it will definitely involve the skyway as well.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be doing Tail of the Dragon with some friends in the fall; are there any good online guides that dissect the road in terms of driving, safety etc. I have been on tailofthedragon.com and am aware of the safety issues but was looking more of a driving breakdown from someone with experience.

If you plan to go down to Deal's Gap be prepared for many miles of very fun roads in mostly nice condition. The Dragon's Tail is very well known but there are a number of great roads in the area... The Skyway being one of them. You may be able to find some good discriptive notations on the Dragon online (along with tons of video taken from bikes/cars on youtube). As for safety, it's safest on Sat/Sun. afternoons - crowded with cops and they don't mess around because several people die there every year. As for fun, weekdays are the best if you can be there when there are no car clubs in the area. We all know it's the "other" drivers that make any road dangerous! LOL

The Dragon's Tail is 11 miles long and loaded with turns! It's very fun to drive but can wear you out. Most accidents occur at two of the curves ... "Gravity Cavity" and "The Wall" but the whole thing will test your skill as a driver (if you want it to). The official speed limit is 30mph now but even that's too fast for many of the turns and some have 10 mph warning signs posted. The curves are well banked but some are close enough together to cause a negative upon entering (banked for a right but now you're going left)... Many of the curves also have a decreasing radius, humps etc. There are hundreds of miles of great roads in western NC and Eastern TN. The Dragon's Tail is just a short stretch of one of them. I enjoy Rt. 28 from Deal's Gap/Crossroads of Time, south all the way to GA! There are some fun attractions in the area as well... Enjoy.

- J

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Texas people, has anyone driven the "Devils Backbone" down around San Marcos, Wimberly, Blanco?

The Devil's Backbone is fun . . . for a mile. Then it is back to typical back-country roads-nothing too special.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Took Highway 74 many times when I lived in Palm Desert.

After the first 2 turns, I never heard any words form the various passengers ...

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good site to check is California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos
:2tu:
Its geared towards motorcycle riders BUT, they basically are looking for the same types of roads- fast, twisty & scenic. The site does an Excellent job of rating scenic drives from all over the country, including road/pavement conditions, traffic volume, available services, points of interest, places to eat at & stay along the way, etc..Lotsa great picks to
:)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central Texas has some FANTASTIC roads

1. Limecreek
2. 1174
3. Ronald Reagan blvd
4. Volente
5. 1431
6. Park road 4
7. Park road 12
etc.
etc.
etc.
All within 30-45 minutes of each other. Too many to list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960