I thought I wanted the lovely fixed roof on a Viper, then the nice weather returned!

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some advice.

I put the toys back on the road a few weeks ago after the winter salt had a chance to wash away. On nice days I've been driving the Supra, and leave it garaged with the targa roof permanently stowed under the back hatch, installing it just to wash the car. It's a bit of a pain to pull it out and install the roof, and I prefer driving it ******* for cruising around, so if the weather is going to be poor I just drive something else. Yesterday on a 1.5 hour run into the city I got caught in a freak shower and stopped to put the roof on. When it was time to leave the city the weather was perfect again and I debated whether to take the roof off again, but didn't because I knew I was going to be washing it in a couple of days, and need the roof on for that. I was tempted to stop numerous times to take the darn thing off, but figured how bad could it be driving a mere 1.5 hours with the roof on??? Well, it became very clear that I have a strong preference for top-down cruising in the nice weather, and since almost all of my driving is for pleasure now then I need to come to grips with that reality.

I love the look of the Viper's fixed roof, and it would definitely be preferable for track lapping days, but... I also have a '10 5L S/C XKR convertible that's been a blast to cruise in with top down, and track top up, with its OEM built-in pop-up rollover protection meeting track event requirements. Rearward visibility is poor with top up, but I use it with top down most of the time so that's not an issue. I think it would be if it were a daily driver, and used in the city or on busy roads.

So I'm looking for input from those who enjoy top down driving, and whether they've been satisfied with their Vipers with a fixed roof, or decided to go the convertible route. I can wait for a convertible Gen V if that's what I end up choosing, and assuming it's roll over protection is accepted for track lapping days.

Bruce

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I thought I wanted the lovely fixed roof on a Viper, then the nice weather return

Looking for some advice.

I put the toys back on the road a few weeks ago after the winter salt had a chance to wash away. On nice days I've been driving the Supra, and leave it garaged with the targa roof permanently stowed under the back hatch, installing it just to wash the car. It's a bit of a pain to pull it out and install the roof, and I prefer driving it ******* for cruising around, so if the weather is going to be poor I just drive something else. Yesterday on a 1.5 hour run into the city I got caught in a freak shower and stopped to put the roof on. When it was time to leave the city the weather was perfect again and I debated whether to take the roof off again, but didn't because I knew I was going to be washing it in a couple of days, and need the roof on for that. I was tempted to stop numerous times to take the darn thing off, but figured how bad could it be driving a mere 1.5 hours with the roof on??? Well, it became very clear that I have a strong preference for top-down cruising in the nice weather, and since almost all of my driving is for pleasure now then I need to come to grips with that reality.

I love the look of the Viper's fixed roof, and it would definitely be preferable for track lapping days, but... I also have a '10 5L S/C XKR convertible that's been a blast to cruise in with top down, and track top up, with its OEM built-in pop-up rollover protection meeting track event requirements. Rearward visibility is poor with top up, but I use it with top down most of the time so that's not an issue. I think it would be if it were a daily driver, and used in the city or on busy roads.

So I'm looking for input from those who enjoy top down driving, and whether they've been satisfied with their Vipers with a fixed roof, or decided to go the convertible route. I can wait for a convertible Gen V if that's what I end up choosing, and assuming it's roll over protection is accepted for track lapping days.

Bruce
My story speaks to this question perfectly. Eight years ago I bought my first Viper. '01 RT/10. I was in love with the original Viper style and not to many RT/10's were around my area so thats what I decided to go with. Three years later I decided to make a second Viper purchase. I wanted a '01 GTS to match my RT/10. After a bot of looking I found the car I wanted and pulled the trigger in November of '08. Drove the car up my driveway and into the garage where it sat until march when the weather cleared. He's the funny part of the story...by the end of August '09 I had traded in the GTS for a GEN IV vert. Moral of the story being my Vipers have to be *******. Don't get me wrong...I love the look of the GTS and sometimes consider getting another one but the bottom line for me is that the whole Viper experience is top down/off, wind in your hair, stero blasting, sound of the wind/engine around you. Just that whole vesiral exprience that is Viper. I was happier then all get out when I knew there was gonna be another Viper. I was even more excited when we got to see the computer mock up of the GEN V vert at VOI 12. Ask anyone that sat with me at dinner that night. They all saw me jump out of my seat! Hope this helps in you decision.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I thought I wanted the lovely fixed roof on a Viper, then the nice weather return

Bruce, I think you've already answered your own question :D

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Bob, and I can see you're not going to try to talk me out of a vert! I've only seen a winter spy photo that didn't show much. Is there a computer mock up somewhere for public viewing? Have you tracked yours at Mid-Ohio, or know if Viper verts meet that tracks requirements?

And for that matter, are there any lapping day considerations particular to the Viper vert to consider...other than the obvious increase in risk to life and limb?

Bruce

My story speaks to this question perfectly. Eight years ago I bought my first Viper. '01 RT/10. I was in love with the original Viper style and not to many RT/10's were around my area so thats what I decided to go with. Three years later I decided to make a second Viper purchase. I wanted a '01 GTS to match my RT/10. After a bot of looking I found the car I wanted and pulled the trigger in November of '08. Drove the car up my driveway and into the garage where it sat until march when the weather cleared. He's the funny part of the story...by the end of August '09 I had traded in the GTS for a GEN IV vert. Moral of the story being my Vipers have to be *******. Don't get me wrong...I love the look of the GTS and sometimes consider getting another one but the bottom line for me is that the whole Viper experience is top down/off, wind in your hair, stero blasting, sound of the wind/engine around you. Just that whole vesiral exprience that is Viper. I was happier then all get out when I knew there was gonna be another Viper. I was even more excited when we got to see the computer mock up of the GEN V vert at VOI 12. Ask anyone that sat with me at dinner that night. They all saw me jump out of my seat! Hope this helps in you decision.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hard to beat the convience of a true, easy up...easy down convertable top.

Some tracks allow Viper verts to run. If not there are aftermarket roll hoops that can be installed to get you on the fussier tracks.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Bob, and I can see you're not going to try to talk me out of a vert! I've only seen a winter spy photo that didn't show much. Is there a computer mock up somewhere for public viewing? Have you tracked yours at Mid-Ohio, or know if Viper verts meet that tracks requirements?

And for that matter, are there any lapping day considerations particular to the Viper vert to consider...other than the obvious increase in risk to life and limb?

Bruce

Theres a couple mockup's out there but this is the closest thing i've seen so far.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've had both my cars on the track and have not had an issue. Not Mid-Ohio but still I was ok'd to go. There are some tracks that would not allow you out with a vert but as Paul mentioned adding an aftermarket rollbar shoudl suffice.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the looks of the hard top cars but I could never own one. For me it must be a convertible. JMO

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Bob, looks stunning!

Bruce, I think you've already answered your own question :D

It would seem so from my post, but I'm a bit surprised how I felt yesterday when driving with the roof on. I retired two years ago, bought the XKR vert for fun because my first car was an XKE vert 35 years ago, and I hadn't driven the Supra since then until about 3 weeks ago. I guess I never thought much about the roof aspect until I was faced with it being a pain to take off yesterday compared to the XKR power folder, and realized for the first time I wasn't too happy I couldn't peel it off easily. I think my recent strong preference has a lot to do with now being retired, moving into the country, and a return to a more relaxed and carefree life.

I would still be interested in any compelling arguement to choose a Viper with a roof, and suspect that could be related to its track worthiness.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang