gts chewed up its belt

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the other day is was driving home and noticed my battery light was on and the voltage was running low. . . around 12-13. i put the car on a tender and it seemed to be fine. . . i took the gts out today and it did the same thing and i felt like the power steering wasnt as responsive, so i pulled over and checked out the fluids and everything was fine but i noticed the belt was off alignment and was getting chewed up. i think the power steering pulley is loose? any suggestions or if anyone has heard of this problem for a 96 gts. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a common issue on Gen 2s to have power steering pulley and bracket issues. Roe and IPSCO make great replacement pulleys and brackets for the cheap plastic oem pieces. I would also check your crankshaft pulley (tighteness) and tensioner for condition while you're in there.

OP
OP

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks i might just change them all just to be sure that its good

OP
OP

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would it be a good idea to replace the belt tensioner at the same time ?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a look at it and make sure the spring is in good condition. On a stock motor I'm sure the tensioner has plenty of life left.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES replace the pully and power steer bracket.

Viper used a cast arm on the power steering pump and unfortunately many had porous air holes when they were cast that caused fracture. this is a known factory stock issue.

SAME thing that happened to you occurred exactly the same way to me and my 1997 gts.

you need to replace these parts with billet replacements.made or sold by ROE RACING

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This pulley uses a self-locking hub...no pullers needed to install/remove this one...IPSCO...
You must be registered for see images

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My belt did the same thing. Don't replace stuff that does not need replacing. Mine was the crankshaft bolt. I believe it is torqued somewhere around 250 lbs. Dodge dealer fixed the problem and never happened again. (PS: I found the answer on this forum and shared with the dealer)

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a common issue on Gen 2s to have power steering pulley and bracket issues. Roe and IPSCO make great replacement pulleys and brackets for the cheap plastic oem pieces. I would also check your crankshaft pulley (tighteness) and tensioner for condition while you're in there.

^ This

I would check that balancer bolt right away. You can damage the crank.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't replace stuff that does not need replacing. Mine was the crankshaft bolt. I believe it is torqued somewhere around 250 lbs. Dodge dealer fixed the problem and never happened again.

I replaced my PS pulley just because of reading these types of threads and also having two people I know personally who had the pulley fail while driving the car at speed.

This is what my non-failed pulley looked like with 30,000 miles on it, I think. I couldn't see the cracks while it was on the car. I am glad that I replaced it just as a preventative maintenance measure. Better to do it in my garage and not in the middle of a fun trip in the middle of nowhere . It was not a matter of if it would fail; but, when.

Back side:

Front:
(the two pieces missing are from when the puller slipped off)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the the dampner bolt is loose as suggested. It may be be slipping on the crank.

OP
OP

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i finally got my ps pulley and bracket, pulled the chewed up belt off and realized its the crankshaft pulley which is loose. . . but the whole thing moves and the bolt doesnt feel loose at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave