GTS parts manuals pdf

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These existed many years ago, I think thru Roe Racing. There may have even been CD's.
I need parts manuals for 1996 and 2002 GTS: part numbers for oil pan, dipstick tube and dipstick.
Thanks
Tom

PS. I had these but I'm pretty sure they went bye bye when my HDD crashed on my primary computer (why not backed up? don't ask! LOL)

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now you will pay the price of not backing up.
Transfer 100000000000 bitcoin to the following acct: mydumba$$sureofbackedupmuliplecopies

I have them pm me has they can't be uploaded here.

BadAzp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple as looking for mopar parts

There are several mopar dealer run parts "warehouses" online

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fair enough, and good tip. I've used those before. Just want to have the PDFs on hand too.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now you will pay the price of not backing up.
Transfer 100000000000 bitcoin to the following acct: mydumba$$sureofbackedupmuliplecopies

I have them pm me has they can't be uploaded here.

It's all Bill Gates fault! I had a dozen XP boxes all sharing total C-drives training neural networks - backups were A to B, B to C, C to A. I can't even get 2 Win10 boxes to network properly and the HDD failed before I could figure out the networking solution. What makes it worse is that I have occasionally solved it in a limited sense (can't share entire c-drive) only to find after some days, the shared folders disappear from the network. I totally hate Win10 in that regard - XP ran with the precision of a sewing machine.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe casting numbers can help? Here are some comparison photos of the standard 8 and 2000+ 10 quart pans. All the difference is in the sump depth below the top cover. You can clearly see the baffle bosses are taller on the 10 qt. Dipstick markings and lengths are the same for all. The '98+ cars had a rubber insert just under the handle to seal crankcase pressure better than the early cars.

Attachments

• Std Baffled Pan - sm.jpg
    Std Baffled Pan - sm.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 10 vs 8.5 ht..jpg
    10 vs 8.5 ht..jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 10 vs 8.5 bot.jpg
    10 vs 8.5 bot.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Revised sump cover 1.jpg
    Revised sump cover 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 10 vs 8.5 top.jpg
    10 vs 8.5 top.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe casting numbers can help? Here are some comparison photos of the standard 8 and 2000+ 10 quart pans. All the difference is in the sump depth below the top cover. You can clearly see the baffle bosses are taller on the 10 qt. Dipstick markings and lengths are the same for all. The '98+ cars had a rubber insert just under the handle to seal crankcase pressure better than the early cars.
The plot thickens, digging into this, the dipstick in my 1996 GTS is a 1996 RT/10 dipstick 5245899 with dimensions: (what's worse is that this part number is listed as 1996 RT/10 only - and the pic from a Viper parts supplier of the part does not look like mine as far as that "cup" feature at the handle.

Top of dipstick tube to dipstick Fill Mark = ~19-1/16"
Dipstick Scribed Full Mark is ~1-1/4" lower than FULL mark

Measurements:
0.488" bottom of "dipstick cup" to rim of cup
18-13/16" cup rim to FULL
17/32" FULL to ADD mark
3/4" ADD to Scribed mark

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just researching part numbers on MoparPartsGiant and check out the oil pump pickup tube in the 2002 Viper (!) LOL

The 1996 "Viper" has unique part #'s for the Indicator and Tube: 5245899 (what I have) and 5245898
So you have one set of numbers for 92-95 and another for 97-02.
So the question is what Tube did "they" (could be TNT, Dodge dealer, or mechanic) put in my 96 GTS

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom to the best of my knowledge, the 96R/T has a Gen 1 engine with a Gen 2 ECU. It has a 10 quart pan, a steel pump pickup tube with a unique oil filter adapter.

The 96 GTS has an all-new block casting, a reduced volume (7.5-8qt) pan with integral pickup tube that feeds a new front cover/oil pump and filter/cooler casting. The same pan was used through '99, but the dipstick and possibly the tube were changed slightly for '98 because of a widespread propensity for crankcase pressure to push the dipstick up and weep oil under heavy loading. That's why the later ones have rubber on the top.

The '00-'02 Vipers had new, deeper oil pans and the cast pickup tube has slightly larger cross-section than the 96-99s. The front cover's intake side is similarly slightly larger than the early models. All the additional oil capacity came BELOW the sump cover plate and the 2-qt operating range marks are the same. The deeper pans hang below the frame rails and are more vulnerable to being struck and damaged by road debris.

As far as I know, the Gen 2 dipsticks are all flat, with no twists along their lengths.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drain your pan for 15 min. Pour 8 quarts in and wait 5 min. Pull the stick and scribe / center punch the oil level. Pour 2 more in, wait another 5 minutes and scribe the oil level. Go for a drive, then check it again and report back. You can continue your search while having confidence in the interim. Curiously, Dodge didn't think it was worth the effort to update the parts drawings between Gen 1 and Gen 2. They kept the Gen 1 diagrams through 2002 and only changed the part numbers. I nearly always order PN's for the '97 model, except for coil packs and injector wire harnesses which are '96 ONLY.

Last edited:

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that they are parts diagrams/lists for BOM creation and lists, not engineering diagrams.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer gave me a 3-ring hardcopy of the Gen 1 parts book when they went to microfische/computer in the mid-90's. It shows two different tube numbers and two different "Indicator" (stick) numbers for the '96 year based on body style: 27 (convertible) or 29 (coupe).

It looks like the tube sticks into the pan on the Gen 1, while the Gen 2's stick into the lower block above the pan rail. So I suspect the Gen 2 should be a shorter tube.

Attachments

• Gen 1 parts book cover L.jpg
    Gen 1 parts book cover L.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Gen 1 parts book oiling 1-L.jpg
    Gen 1 parts book oiling 1-L.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members