gts ps window sucked out at 175mph

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger side window gets sucked out at 175mph, making it sound like the blow drier from hell. Anyone else have this problem?

The window gets pretty out of whack, but rolling it down and back up straightens it out. Is there any way to adjust something to fix it without completely dismantling the door?

Just out of curiosity, what have you guys had your vipers up to? Mine charges hard to 150mph and starts to trail off. I would guess it probably has about 10mph more when I hit 175sh, but the window gets sucked out. Does that sound about right for a stock 97' gts (the speed that is)?

OP
OP
R

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
175 isn't a regular occurance, but I did't buy a viper just to look at it either. If you own a viper you owe it to yourself see what it can do. Just don't be dumb about it. If I do a speed run, it's only after I've thought it out to minimize the risks. The car is very stable at speed.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it quite a regular thing, just drop both windows 1" before doing a top speed run
to avoid the windows popping out

of one our members has ran his car to a officially timed 216mph (from a standing start to just over a mile) before having to jump on the brakes

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA RT/10 / GTS forum!

Where are you located?

Particulars / pics of your car?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a retaining tab that can be bent a little to help hold them in. Also, make sure you really have the window all the way up. Hit the button more than once to make sure it is topped out. Make sure your vents in the rear are working correctly. Vent Fix

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carguy07 is right -- make sure your vents are working and unobstructed. Some guys have put subwoofers or other things in the trunk area that keep them from functioning.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just travel at 350mph and let the other window get sucked out, thereby equalling air flow and pressure! More stable.

Is this going to be a regular problem?

You actually should have more left in the mph on an open track. I think Motor Trend did a top speed test of a GTS on a video. Available on their website. Do a search here as well. Will not tell you what the speed was so I don't spoil the fun for you. It is a must see.

Search button is at the top, third one from left in grey area.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that on the drivers side above 160. I'll try the 1" down on driver and passenger side next time I am on I-10 between Junction and El Paso. I thought that if I didn't back off I was going to lose my window.

OP
OP
R

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a retaining tab that can be bent a little to help hold them in. Also, make sure you really have the window all the way up. Hit the button more than once to make sure it is topped out. Make sure your vents in the rear are working correctly. Vent Fix

I thought about that tab thing but I couldn't tell if they were plastic or metal and I was affraid of breaking them. Are you sure they'll bend? Thanks.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a normal, and well documented issue.

Lots of the Silver State guys mentioned it. Can be quite startling the first time it happens. Feels like something really bad just happened.

This also happens at about the same speed on Vettes. The suction outside the vehicle pulls the glass away from the rubber seal.

This has been fixed with the intelligent windows in the new SRT's They roll up into a notch in the seal, producing a much stronger purchase. When you open your door, the window drops 1/4" to allow the door to open.

Another issue at speed is that sometimes the mirrors get sucked off their adhesive, and can be seen shattering behind you.

Lots of things happen at those speeds. Be careful out there.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger side window gets sucked out at 175mph, making it sound like the blow drier from hell. Anyone else have this problem?

The window gets pretty out of whack, but rolling it down and back up straightens it out. Is there any way to adjust something to fix it without completely dismantling the door?

Just out of curiosity, what have you guys had your vipers up to? Mine charges hard to 150mph and starts to trail off. I would guess it probably has about 10mph more when I hit 175sh, but the window gets sucked out. Does that sound about right for a stock 97' gts (the speed that is)?

Rory97, that is about the usual MPH that the windows get sucked out.

I just had a twin turbo 1997 GTS whose windows got sucked out right at 200 MPH as we pulled 6th gear.

I usually go 200+ with the windows open.