GTS Rear Hatch Question

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:

When pulling the hatch release latch, should the rear hatch:

1) Unlock and automatically come all the way up.

or

2) Unlock and come up a little bit, enough to get your fingers underneath the glass to push it up, and then the pneumatic cylinders kick in and hold the glass up.

Ever since I had my snake (I bought it new) the rear hatch would just come up a little bit and then need to be pushed up until the pneumatic cylinders would support the glass. Is this normal? I looked in the owner's manual but it states nothing regarding this. I have owned cars in which the rear hatch comes all the way up when pulling the release, and others that only come up a little bit and need to be pushed up, so I am not exactly sure what to expect. I very rarely if ever open the rear hatch, but I would like to know what is normal.

Thanks in advance.

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto with #2.
Mine hasn't been opened much in the past 2 years, and won't stay open unless I pull it ALL the way up. Any thoughts out there on whether or not I should disassemble the cylinders and spread the oil evenly???

Reaction score
Mine opens up all the way after "unlock"....after replacing my worn out struts. On colder California days (brrrr), my old struts would not hold the hatch open at all.

They cost about $53 and take just a few minutes for install. It's been about a year and my hatch still moves up under its own power.

Here's a link where I got mine: Ebay Gas Struts

It says in the auction "equal to or better than original" - so far for me it's better.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine just popped up enough to get your fingers under the glass until the struts were replaced. Now it opens on its own although it's starting to take longer for it to open on its own.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't stay up as long as it used to.

oh, we weren't talking about that? oops!

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My pneumatic cylinders/shocks are shot. Wheres a good place to buy a pair cheap?Besides Ebay .Thanks guys.... ;)

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a link where I got mine: Ebay Gas Struts

Why does the auction say fits 1997-2002? Will it fit a 96? (Email sent to the seller).

Okay, here is what the seller says:
Thanks for the email. I'm not sure if these will work for your
1996 Viper GTS. Can you get me the extended length of
your old supports? And I'll check this.

Regards,
Dan McCarthy
USA

949-705-8240

eBay User: momoscaraposa
My eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Parts-Store
PayPal: [email protected]

So if it fits a 97-02, should this work on a 96? Thanks

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One word of caution, and this is just me hypothesising. I've had two of these cars and they both have opened the way you describe. The fact that they lock when fully extended tells me they may be of a different design than most gas springs. Other vehicles that i've owned will not hold the glass open when fully extended or not, if the gas springs are worn.
If you inspect the structure and mounting of these springs on the glass, you will note that there really isn't much structure at all. There is no perimeter frame and quite a bit of flex. Non OEM springs may potentially have higher spring rates which could cause the mounts on the glass to fail. A worse case senario would be glass failure. I have seen the latter occur on a Corvette. Just something to think about.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy fix! When I got my '97 GTS a few months ago, I noticed that I had to fully open the hatch or it would not stay open. I called up Chuck Tator and he solved my problem. Just replace the attenuators and you will be set. Cheap and easy, just like I like 'em. :laugh:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The attenuators are the 2 devices that look like little shocks that keep the hatch up. Click above on the "Ebay gas Struts" link to see what they look like.

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I thought they may have been a part of the strut........

Happy motoring!