GTS stereo install ?

97 GTS BL/WH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to install a sound system in my 97 GTS. Here is what I am planning on installing.
Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P9800BT - bluetooth built in
Front Speakers - Focal 165 K2P
Amplifier - JL Audio 300/4
Subwoofer - 8w3 - only requires .373 cubic foot air volume

I have a couple of questions.
1. Wiring - what is the route between the amp and the head unit? Length of RCA jacks?
2. Is the stock amp running the speakers up front? Or do I need to run new wires?
3. I plan on building a box for the passengers side in the trunk to fit the 8" sub in. I have read that I shouldn't block the vents but seen alot of people do it, will this only cause trouble at high speeds?
4. Where can I find a large viper emblem to put into the leather covers?

Thanks for any help.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. There is an 8 Pin Din cable tthat runs down the driver's side of the car. I took the advice of others on the forum and built two 8 Pin Din to RCA adapters, one for the head unit and one for the rear amp.
2. Yes, No
3. Theoretical problem if your airbags blow with your windows up.
4. Don't know - Snakehydes maybe?

DrDJ

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3. Theoretical problem if your airbags blow with your windows up.
DrDJ

It could cause resonance at certain speeds too. When I had my vents restricted at 40-50mph I would get pressure pulses throughout the car.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know how this system turns out. I have been looking to install a new radio with bluetooth and ipod compatibility.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the 2 6" sub boxes, I am planning on making a fiberglass box to hold a 8" sub.

This has been done before. I saw an old issue of Car Audio magazine where they did a 8" sub box in an RT/10. The sub stuck out like a volcano. I thought it looked like a giant zit.

Reaction score
Seems to me that someone could make some money making these cables. The factory DIN's aren't pluggable to the aftermarket units. And it's a ****** doing the DIN's yourself.

If anyone ran the cables down the drivers side (on and RT/10) where did you come through the trunk?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang