GTS window regulator guide help!

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay here are a few photos of what I need. It's a window regulator guide for a 2000 GTS. I suspect the part is the same from any GEN II year. This is a small plastic part that it connected to the window with a clip and regulator track at the same time and actually holds the window in place. (Just the small plastic part that the upper and lower cables attach to) The dealer wants me to buy a new regulator for $750 because they don't sell the part seaperately. ^11
Anybody out there that has one let me know so I can make a deal with you.
[email protected]
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread about this some time earlier, perhaps the poster will chide in. The part in question is apparently shared with some years of Chrysler Caravan. One can be had from a wrecking yard for peanuts. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow that would be nice if anyone knows about the part or the post LMK. Thanks.
Hirk

1997GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my passenger window first went out when clip broke, I got one used, seems like one vendor keeps selling them. I never found a new source as they wanted to sell with whole regulator assembly.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new one I do not need. The reason I did not need it is it is effectively impossible to install. After giving it a serious shot I called Paul Scharf in Wisconsin and bought an entire used unit for cheap. Took about an hour to put it together after getting the used unit. Promblem with putting in the plastic piece only is hard because hit it really hard to get the ferrels on the ends of the cables to go into their positions in the palstic part - especially when they have tension on them.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem. Unfortunately, you need to replace the whole assembly. Been there, done that. :-(

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new one I do not need. The reason I did not need it is it is effectively impossible to install. After giving it a serious shot I called Paul Scharf in Wisconsin and bought an entire used unit for cheap. Took about an hour to put it together after getting the used unit. Problem with putting in the plastic piece only is hard because hit it really hard to get the Ferrel's on the ends of the cables to go into their positions in the plastic part - especially when they have tension on them.
Yep your right there is no way you can just unhook the wire ends and then re-attach them with everything under tension. That's why I took off the galvanised wire spool cover gently removed the blue plastic spool, attached the wire ends to the shuttle then put the spool back over the motor spline ;) An extra pair of hands is good to help hold everything in place and also some mechanical/practical knowledge. I had never done anything like this before, but with a lot of patience and some thought I managed to do it in a morning and at the cost of $17.00 :2tu: Ive also given this a bit more thought! As long as your wires are not all twisted up (as mine were) it may not be necessary to remove the motor cover, If you look at the First picture posted in the lower part of the pic is the large Black plastic pulley. If you were to slip the wire off the pulley there may be JUST enough flex to attach the wires to the new shuttle then slip the wire back over the pulley using the power of the motor with a couple of wires attached to a 12volt power supply ( as the shuttle is travelling towards the pulley using a flat end of a small screwdriver slip it between the moving wire and the pulley and the wire should slip back over it )Note: you will need an extra pair of hands for someone to momentarily touch the wires to the battery ;) Bingo! :D

Last edited:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem. Unfortunately, you need to replace the whole assembly. Been there, done that. :-(

Uhh, not true. I replaced just the plastic piece last year. Got one for $50. It DOES take some work and a lot of patience but it beats $700+

Ron

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I took off the galvanised wire spool cover gently removed the blue plastic spool, attached the wire ends to the shuttle then put the spool back over the motor spline ;) An extra pair of hands is good to help hold everything in place and also some mechanical/practical knowledge.
You sir, have mAd sKIlLs yO! I did not try that hard, plus, soon after reassembling everything my motor went out anyway!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem years ago with an early 1980s Chrysler.

Put the plastic part in boiling water for a few minures - made it much easier to work with.

Don't know if you would get the same results here. Might be worth a try.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the plastic guide breaking because of friction? Is this a part you would recommend putting some Lithium grease on from time to time?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the plastic guide breaking because of friction? Is this a part you would recommend putting some Lithium grease on from time to time?
To be honest I'm amazed they don't break more often, they have some serious tension pulling either way on them! Yes a little Lithium grease would not hurt but they seem also to break where the window clip attaches to the clip too So its not just the track area that needs looking at!

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to know...mine is getting really slow so im worried.:dunno:
How much for a passenger regulator if i might ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were getting slow...in fact would not go up or down in 40 degree temps without a helping hand...so I took the door boster off and lubed the piss out of the rails. Now all is well. Goes up/down a lot better.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I'm putting mine back together I will put white lithium spry grease on it. Don't use WD as it will dry it up!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD-40 to break down the goo and free everything up....and then some sort of light spray lube I had on the shelf. Not terribly hard to do, but taking apart the door always risks breaking some little part/fastner.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WD-40 to break down the goo and free everything up....and then some sort of light spray lube I had on the shelf. Not terribly hard to do, but taking apart the door always risks breaking some little part/fastner.
That is the plan I'm just waiting for the part in the mail :drive:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep your right there is no way you can just unhook the wire ends and then re-attach them with everything under tension. That's why I took off the galvanised wire spool cover gently removed the blue plastic spool, attached the wire ends to the shuttle then put the spool back over the motor spline ;) An extra pair of hands is good to help hold everything in place and also some mechanical/practical knowledge. I had never done anything like this before, but with a lot of patience and some thought I managed to do it in a morning and at the cost of $17.00 :2tu: Ive also given this a bit more thought! As long as your wires are not all twisted up (as mine were) it may not be necessary to remove the motor cover, If you look at the First picture posted in the lower part of the pic is the large Black plastic pulley. If you were to slip the wire off the pulley there may be JUST enough flex to attach the wires to the new shuttle then slip the wire back over the pulley using the power of the motor with a couple of wires attached to a 12volt power supply ( as the shuttle is travelling towards the pulley using a flat end of a small screwdriver slip it between the moving wire and the pulley and the wire should slip back over it )Note: you will need an extra pair of hands for someone to momentarily touch the wires to the battery ;) Bingo! :D
Like this, but not quite as fast ;)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DIl1f073s[/media]

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put mine on. It took some effort to get the cable on but now I have a window! Thanks for all the help.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great stuff :2tu: So how much did you have to pay for the part and which method did you use to get the cables on?
Just wondered if the info I posted was usefull?
Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got it from a member on here for a steal. I did not use either method for putting it on. It's hard to explain how I did it. I put both cables on the basicly compressed the springs on the cables and stretched the cable over the black slider on the end. (not the black pulley end)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery