Guys with Moton Club sports - what settings?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What settings do you guys use on your Moton Club Sports.

Rebound / compression, street / track / drags?

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter what the shock settings are....the fuel will leak and the oil seals in the paxton will to so you don't need to worry about how much the car bounces!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 500 and 700 lb springs front and rear, respectively, and initially set both the bump and rebound to 3 on the fronts and 4 on the rears, all on the recommendations of John Archer's shop. To me the car still felt a little soft on the track, so I changed both bump and rebound to 4 on the fronts and 5 on the rears. The car now feels great to me on the track. I don’t bother changing the settings for the street since I do most of my driving on the track, but I do whence when I see a small bump coming up, which is almost always a jarring experience.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 front and 700 back?

are you sure its not the other way around?

vd..
I'm sure. Do you know of a case where someone put heavier springs on the front than on the rear?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper D may be thinking of some other cars, as I do not know of a case where we have done heavier springs in front on a Viper, but on Mustangs this can be the case depending on the year and set-up.

You might call Mark Jorgensen at 1-800-889-1893 and check with him for your applications. He is our Performance Service Coordinator and he is usually very willing to help out.

Good Luck.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
500 front and 700 back?

are you sure its not the other way around?

vd..
I'm sure. Do you know of a case where someone put heavier springs on the front than on the rear?

I spoke to the sales vp of elbach

he told me that there is more weight in the front thus heavier spring.

vd..

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have some bad roads in San Jose so on our streets I run; compression = 3 rebound = 2. (the starting point recommended in the instructions)

It's pretty comfortable at that setting.

Track settings for me are; compression = 4, rebound = 5. Wheel hop is almost gone at this setting.

track for me is more straight line type stuff.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told by the vp of eibach (the makers not some reseller) that the 900 lbs front and 700 rear.

I will look into this tomorrow but the viper rides great. I havent even done a wheel alighment yet!

vd..

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got spring rates of 550 front; 750 rear.

I have played around with shock settings quite a bit, and have kept a log of my impressions. (Which is the only reason I can remember this stuff, as I haven't driven my car in ages.)

I ran 3 bump, 2 rebound for quite a while on the street. It gives a very good ride quality. 3 and 3 also seems good. I go back and forth between these two settings. 2 rebound seems more comfortable. 3 rebound seems a little less smooth, but seems a little "tighter" for canyon carving and fast cornering.

I tried 2 bump, and 3 rebound, and that didn't seem to work very well. The car seems squishy and less responsive to me at bump settings less than 3.

I tried running 4 rebound, 3 bump on the street. It's quite a bit harsher, and the gains in response didn't outweigh the added bumpiness compared with my regular street setting.

On smooth tracks, I run 4 and 4. On bumpy tracks, I run 4 rebound, 3 bump.

For high speed open road racing with speeds over 130mph, I run 5 rebound, and either 3 or 4 bump, depending on the road surface (3 for rough, 4 for smooth.)

For drag racing, I would dial the rear bump way down to 1. I don't think it really helped all that much. The best 60 foot time I've ever done (1.641) was on a pass where I had the car set at 3 and 3.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried 3b/2r but it gave me way too much of a body roll for my taste. although the car for almost the same comfy as my wife's M3:). Now I run 4/4 on the street and 5-6/4 on track which is just about perfect for me. I needed to settle rebound to one value since once you put car down there is no way to change it easily without going on the lift.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention is that the gas pressure on the Motons is adjustable between 100 and 300 pounds. I believe that the factory set pressure in these shocks is 175 lbs.

I bumped my pressure up to 210 lbs, so my settings might be a little bit soft for somebody with the standard 175 pounds.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

According to Moton, the recommended "starting" settings are compression 2, rebound 3 front and rear. Initial gas pressure is 175 psi per Lex @ Moton.

I went with 500 lb front, 800 lb rear, 8-inch long, 2.25-inch diameter Eibach springs with helper springs at each corner per recommendations from Woodhouse.

The ride is really pretty good on the street. Firm but not too harsh. Haven't been to the track yet with this set up but the front end "body rolls" a bit more at this setting than I'd like. A bit higher settings would likely help and switching springs is very easy with the Club Sports.

I'm currently trying to get the ride height correct and this has been a challenge.

Dan

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper D - when you go as low as you did, you should re-align. Otherwise inside tread of your tires will wear out quicker.

Viper X, my mistake, I got the initial settings mixed up. I run the settings you posted on the streets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960