Had the best day today, first time out on a track. Thank you Fireball (Greg)

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have wanted to get on a road course for awhile now . I have owned sport bikes , Z06 , had a 2000 ACR , now on my second Viper the 08. Have owned a few other above average performance cars . But had never been out a track before today.

Always wanted to go push the rides harder than I could legally do on the street . To become more knowledgeable and experienced with what my car and I can do . For what ever reason I have not made it a priority. Procrastination... or maybe I thought I get to push the car when I take a trip or two into the mountains each year . But nothing compares to the thrill of pushing the car on a closed Road course.

Here is how I finally got on a track tonight . Today I was in Calgary with the wife . (2 hours west of where I live )She wanted a day for just the two of us . We had our first child in Feb of this year . So we havn't had any alone time to hang out . So took our daughter over to Grandma's and we headed to the City . Four o'clock comes around, first time mother is getting anxious to get back to the baby. So stop to fill up before we leave the City. Guess who pulls up?

Greg in his ACR . I knew who it was as soon as I seen the car . I have seen pics and read his posts on the site.

Calgary has over a million people and has an area of about 280sq mi. What are the chances ?

Says hes putting on a track day for some of his friends .That I was welcome to come .Wife looking at her watch doesn't want to go. But I was able to convince the wife to at least go check it out and take a look.

Get there before most of the other drivers show up . So Greg is kind enough to take me out around the track and show me the layout . Then still had a few mins before start time . So he generously takes the wife out around the course . In the mean time as guys are showing up, meet a bunch of great guys . Owners of some nice rides . A bunch of Ferrari's showed up f430's , a tricked out Enzo , Gallardo.

After everyone arrives . Have the drivers meetings then the experienced guys get out and start doing some laps . At this point wife is biting her nails wanting to get going . But no way in hell I want to leave with out taking the car out . So wife tells me make it quick ;) So I get some class instruction. Greg jumps in the car with me to instruct me on the course , help with some tips to keep my car shiny side up. We do a few 20 mins sessions . Then he lets me go out solo. Never had so much fun in all my life as I did tonight pushing my car on the track close to 150 mph . Honestly one of the nicest guys my wife and I have met . For only knowing him for such a short period of time . Started raining and wife wasn't prepared for the weather . Greg actually did give her the Jacket of his back . Tell I was done . Thank you for such a great evening . Can't wait to do it again.:2tu::2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I relate to ya and know exactly what you mean. Glad you had a blast. Wife wanting to drive the track next time?

Ted

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great story, small world sometimes.

Did the lapping c/w instructor about a month ago at Race City, Greg set up the event along with a cruise and some dyno time for a complete Viper weekend. One of the best weekends and the track time was awesome. Have now decided I need a track Viper so I am hoping a new Race Track will be built in the Calgary area after Race City closes in the fall.

I will be calling my MLA (Ted Morton) and expressing my concern about no Race Track in the Calgary area.

Thanks Greg for all you do for the Car enthusiast/racer in our area, it is very much appreciated.

Joe

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I relate to ya and know exactly what you mean. Glad you had a blast. Wife wanting to drive the track next time?

Ted

Wife actually does want to take the car on the track next time . Funny thing is she actually has been out on a track before I ever was . She went to Toronto for a driving experience there with some Nascar's . Few years ago around a road course there . Last night Greg offered to take her out but she didn't want to cut into my time ;)

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story, small world sometimes.

Did the lapping c/w instructor about a month ago at Race City, Greg set up the event along with a cruise and some dyno time for a complete Viper weekend. One of the best weekends and the track time was awesome. Have now decided I need a track Viper so I am hoping a new Race Track will be built in the Calgary area after Race City closes in the fall.

I will be calling my MLA (Ted Morton) and expressing my concern about no Race Track in the Calgary area.

Thanks Greg for all you do for the Car enthusiast/racer in our area, it is very much appreciated.

Joe

I was talking about that on the way home last night . How I finally get out on the track and realilze what a great time it is . Just as they are virtually weeks before shutting the track down . I really hope they get another course in the area. Still amazes me for all the race fans and participants in the area. They still feel its worth shutting down the facility.

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics . Next time I go I'll be more prepared and have a better camera than the phone ;)

0730091721a.jpg

0730091721.jpg

0730091729.jpg

0730091722.jpg

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that looks like a good crowd to be with. How did you like the shreik of that FXX?

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that looks like a good crowd to be with. How did you like the shreik of that FXX?

The car sounded Amazing . Insanely loud , you could hear it for miles away when it pulled up. Excited to get some Belanger headers and exhaust on my car, when I can swing it . I do like the way it sounds stock . But will be nice to turn it up a few notches :headbang:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Met Greg with my ACR at Infineon earlier this year. He and his wife were a class act.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate it. Honestly, I'm just thrilled when someone can experience their car on a track.

On Thursday we had a bit of a fluke that worked out very well!

Vipers are exceptionally good cars and the only place they can be fully appreciated is the track. If you've been to the track you know what I mean and if you havn't - well you need to get out to see what I mean.

I have some good news. There's a track school by Track Techniques on August 25 and 26. I think his classroom is on August 24th. I really like his program (I think it's the best program.... by far, I even put wife through his program) so I always recommend him. That's also the last track event that I'll be doing for him this year.... and maybe forever. Track Techniques

I'll post in this forum any track events that are available that I'm part of. Many are private events - eg. this week I'm doing an event for a law firm but when an open event is available I'll let you know. Right now it's looking like the Track Techniques event may be the last event this year since I'm travelling a lot this fall.

One thing you need to know. There may a couple of lapping events left but only drivers that have completed a course of some sort will be allowed onto the track. It's not for 'newbiews'. If you did the Calgary Viper Event or any Track Techniques school, you're qualified.

If you live in Alberta, and would like to get on the track, time is getting very, very short. Yesterday we had a guy that drove from Grand Prairie for the Calgary Exotic Auto Group lapping events. 9 times a year he hauls his Porsche more than 700km for a track event! If you want to get on the track this is what we'll be doing next year. Calgary to Spokane is over 700 km......

Greg

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bud. It was great to meet you and your wife that night. Greg really is a great guy. Im glad you got to get out there before the rain hit. I was out there again all day Friday and got to do a ton of hot laps with a new Nissan GTR chasing me around. It was a blast. The Enzo is an amazing car. You can see me in the background with the drool all over myself....LOL. Whats freaky is that even with 860 hp and race slicks on the Enzo, Greg is still doing lap times with his stock ACR 5 seconds faster. Not sure if you got to go for a "hot lap " with him in his car but that is an experience you will NEVER forget..LOL..

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bud. It was great to meet you and your wife that night. Greg really is a great guy. Im glad you got to get out there before the rain hit. I was out there again all day Friday and got to do a ton of hot laps with a new Nissan GTR chasing me around. It was a blast. The Enzo is an amazing car. You can see me in the background with the drool all over myself....LOL. Whats freaky is that even with 860 hp and race slicks on the Enzo, Greg is still doing lap times with his stock ACR 5 seconds faster. Not sure if you got to go for a "hot lap " with him in his car but that is an experience you will NEVER forget..LOL..

Nice to meet you as well. Always enjoy meeting other car guys , especially Viper owners .The last session I was on the track, it was pouring pretty hard . That was as much fun as when it was dry. Have to keep the speed a little lower but still just as much fun walking that edge of breaking traction.

I was out on the track with Greg in his ACR before the event started but he wasn't pushing his car . We didnt have helmets and he was just showing me the layout of the track.But I could still tell he knows how to drive very well.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper ACR; I was out on the track with Greg in his ACR before the event started but he wasn't pushing his car . We didnt have helmets and he was just showing me the layout of the track.But I could still tell he knows how to drive very well.[/QUOTE said:
I rode with Greg on a cooler evening, rain had just dried up, not the best traction and he still ran a 1.24.:2tu: Totally awesome driver. :headbang:

Greg if you see this I am still bragging you up all over the country. You and your amazing ACR. :D :D :D

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are the best!

I did a personal best on Saturday. 1:21.0 Soooooo close to the '20's!

For the past 2 events I have not been taking passengers and my times have dropped each event. I'm pretty sure that I will get into the '20's - I just need to focus, concentrate - and maybe push a little bit.

I don't have a lot of time - but I'm getting there.

One more thing. We've now had a good number of Vipers on the track and each time it's rained. The Viper is a HANDFULL on a dry track and threatening on a wet track, but each and every one of you guys drove exceptionally.

A recipe for disaster is a wet track, a powerful car, wide tires and an inexperienced track driver. Check, check, check and check. I think we had 13 or 14 Vipers out and not one spin. Nothing.

I worry sick about people harming their cars or even worse, injuring themselves but you guys never put a wheel wrong. Not once. Ya'll nailed it!

I thank you all for that and please give yourself a pat on the back.

Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187