Handbrake button stuck in pressed position

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been dealing with other stuff and haven't gotten time to coming around and fixing this. But last summer when releasing the hand brake, the button decided to remain in the pushed position. It's basically stuck and I can't tell what it is getting hung up on... The button won't go any further in, nor does it want to come out if I pull on it. Handbrake works, has tension, holds the car, just will not lock in the up position.

Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't want to just pull on it hard for fear of breaking the hard to find replacement parts, but I also don't know what it could possibly be caught on? I did search but couldn't find anything specific.

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, there is a spring inside that breaks I believe, we have been asked for them before. I don't remember what it hangs up on, but you should be able to see the broken part. I can supply whatever you need, even if you just want to replace the whole handle/lever...

OP
OP
A

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, there is a spring inside that breaks I believe, we have been asked for them before. I don't remember what it hangs up on, but you should be able to see the broken part. I can supply whatever you need, even if you just want to replace the whole handle/lever...

Do I need to take the leather sleeve/grip off? Does it just pull off?

OP
OP
A

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I finally got around to looking at this and solve the issue. Thought it would be beneficial to close this loop on this for anyone with the same problem in the future.

The problem was not with the button, but at the base of the handbrake. The tabs that suround the release lever were a little bent, and the gap allowed the rod connected to the button to slip over the lever, jamming it.

gap seen below:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here you can see where the rod tabs slip over the lever and gets jammed:

I used some vice grips and pinched the tabs back into place:

Here's a shot with it fixed and the button depressed, notice the tabs no longer slip over the end of the lever.

As long as I don't mash the button like a savage I don't expect it to bend back out of place. But now knowing and seeing what is jammed I can actually reach in to the base of the hand brake and unjam it if needed. If it does happen again I'll take a welder to it, or something like sugru to hold the rod on the lever better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang