Harbor Freight Aluminum Racing Jack

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my new jack today, but I guess I have not been able to purge all the air out of it, so it does not work.
Can anyone tell me the secret ? Harbor Freight can't. One tech says to use
the vented plug, next guy says to use the solid plug, but nothing seems to
make any difference.
Thanks

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a coincidence. I got mine on Saturday and had the same problem. I worked for hours trying to purge it. I finally decided the #$%@ thing is defective and am sending it back.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Drop one ****** pill in the resevoir, then try pumping it faster and faster, and see what happens.

Just kidding......

Seriously, if it has fluid, something should be happening when you cycle the handle. If there is no motion, and no resistance either, then there may not be any fluid in the cylinder, or it may not be primed, or lost its prime during shipping from Timbuktu. Try pouring hydraulic jack oil into the resevoir.

Most jacks that I am familiar with have a three "tube" cylinder design. The innermost "tube", is the shiney piston that extends. The second tube is the cylinder, which is hidden. You can see it inside, when the rubber plug is removed. The outer most tube is the housing for the resevoir. This is really what you are looking at, when you look at the cylinder/piston assembly. The resevoir typically has a rubber plug on top. This is where you add hydraulic fluid.

If there is no fluid in the resevoir, no pressure will be developed, and the piston won't extend.

If there isn't quite enough fluid in the resevoir, the piston will extend somewhat, but not to its full travel.

If you overfill the resevoir, the piston won't retract with just its return spring, but if forced under load, the excess fluid will overflow and pop out the rubber plug.

How much fluid is enough? If the Jack will reach its meachnical limit of travel, there is enough fluid.

Sometimes there is a releif setting adjustment, near the handle pivot. This is sets the pressure at which the output from the pump is shunted back into the resevoir, to protect the piston seal from damage when the jack is overloaded. Don't screw with this.

~Middle Aged Man~

Clown Shoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys if anyone is interested I picked up a Sears low profile jack for $179.00, with a 4000 lb capacity. It is genuine Craftsman and finished in red. It works very well.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought a ******** e-bay for 150.00. says viper on the handle. Some guy in Indy, really well made. Little more than harbor but alot better jack. imho

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Return them, buy the aluminum racing jack from Sears, others posted specials on how toget the thing for something like $125, I paid about $150. More capacity, better quality.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled up the arm to **** fluid in, which seemed to prime it. I used the vented plug, which after a few weeks spit most of the hydraulic fluid out. At an autocross I refilled it with engine oil and it's been perfect ever since.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey, I'll see if I can find it. Try surfin' e-bay for viper jack. The guy makes jacks custom for all the "speedy" cars. :2tu: he's somewhere in Indianapolis I think.
I'll try to post pic. If I can find the info I'll post back here.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, there is a special plug that comes in the box that has a small hole in it. Try replacing the existing plug with this one and you'll be in business.

Can't really take credit for this since there was a previous post regarding this. I did this for my jack and have never had a problem.

Hope this helps.....Kurt

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks SNAKBIT, I've got the number written down and will give him a call in a couple months! :2tu:

He's in Indy too, and I get down there quite a bit!

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drop one ****** pill in the resevoir, then try pumping it faster and faster, and see what happens.

vic, now that's some funny ****... i almost dropped my beer... yes!

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
allright, i'm finished laughing at vic.

i have one from harbor freight and it works fine. however, it is a touch more difficult to jack compared to some i've used. i think it only cost ~$100....

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My jack arrived today from Harbor Freight. I had to purge it, but it seems to work great. I can't wait to use it this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery