Has any tried the Borla Headers for the Viper?

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Borla headers, and am pleased with them.......when I first put them on, they vibrated really bad at 2000 RPM. I had to put a shim under the motor mount to raise the motor-on the passenger side, and this corrected the vibration. I have heard of 2 others that had this same problem. The headers didn't affect the sound of the car as much as I would have thought---the Borla cat-back did that. But the power increase is noticable. I don't have any dyno sheets, nor have I raced the car yet.....that'll happen next summer! Also, the heat shields were completely removed. Didn't affect the temp inside the car much. I also still have the stock plug wires. The headers do get hot, so I plan on upgrading the plug wires to a more heat resistant brand.

Tim

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Aaron,
To install the Borla headers alone should take about 4 hours or so. No welding is necessary. The power gain is comparable to a TNT setup (I have dyno graphs), but about 10hp less than a Balenger setup, which is about $1500 more. My shop is a Borla distributor and we offer their new 1&5/8" primary tube headers for $1,199.00 plus S&H. The stock heat shields will not fit and it is best to use some header wrap on the first and last tube on each side just to help reduce heat transfer into the firewall, air box on the passenger side, etc..
I have the previous design on my '96 GTS (1&1/2" primaries) and have been very happy with the throttle response, performance, fit, etc.. I will be getting a new set 1&5/8" for the GTS soon and rolling the 1&1/2" set into the RT/10. We're getting ready to to test a cam and cylinder head upgrade package and think the 1&5/8" tubes will make more power. Let me know if you need any more info. Here's a link to our catalog http://www.roeracingonline.com/portfolio.html

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron,

Please check out my website at btrviper.com for the only header and exhaust system that is GUARANTEED TO PERFORM. At a recent dyno day with over 20 vipers in attendance our 97 gts with only headers and exhaust(belangers) made the most power of all cars there. There were several different combinations of exhaust and intake upgrades. We made 459 rwhp at 495 torque and as i stated above the car has NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS. I guarantee 50 rwhp with my complete exhaust system or your money back, and i am having a sale through November for the complete system for GEN 2 cars at $ 3795, and GEN 1 cars for $ 2995.

My question for you is; How much savings is it worth to have the next best thing, to be the first loser, or to have to explain why a car with my exhaust outran yours when you spent about the same amount of money? Is it worth the few hundred bucks savings to ponder the above?

Thanks again for your questions. Good luck in your search.

tom welch
btrviper.com
352-622-6219

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte