Has anyone gone from a highly modified C5 to an SRT?

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who have, I need your advice. I'm a 23 year old w/a landscaping company that's doing pretty well. I've had my '99FRC vette for a little over 3years now. In the last two years I've built it from front to back. Right now it's got a low CR 408ci, built tranny and rearend along w/twin disk clutch etc. I've got nitrous on it, but I built the low CR motor for a blower setup. But now I'm contemplating selling my car and putting the supercharger money and the money from my car into a '03 or '04 SRT. I'm extremely attached to my car of course, and right now it already runs 10's w/just a 100shot. Within the month I had plans on purchasing an ECS paxton setup (for those of you who know vettes, this is the badboy of superchargers). So my car would be finished and it'd be a high 9 low 10sec car w/the right tires. Anyways, I've got someone local very interested in my car, and I'm pretty much taking the weekend to decide on what to do. Any input would be appreciated. I know I'm on a viper forum, but I'm getting opinions from the vette guys as well, and half of them are saying to experience what a viper is like. I've heard a Vette is a lot more enjoyable to drive if you drive it a lot, but I've also heard that the viper is great. I've driven a couple GTS vipers and didn't really like them that much. My vette seemed simpler and more enjoyable to drive. But anyways, your opinons are appreciated. Thanks--Andy :2tu:

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YES I went FROM:
9190Picture_003-med.jpg

To this:
9190003_022-med.JPG

You will never regret it.Viper is the true sport car.

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am flat out a car lover. I dont have a problem with corvettes but between the two, clearly viper is my choice for two reasons. One, I just love the look but secondly the main thing is how rare they are. I dont think you will regret it at all!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure really what your asking? It sounds like you love your car, so why are you contemplating the Viper? Your whole post revolves around 1/4 mile times. If that's the case, why switch? You said you didn't like the GTS, what is it that you like about the SRT? Though the SRT and GTS are different in the way they drive, they are miles apart from the Vette. I owned a 99FRC as well, it's a great daily driver and can be modded for peanuts compared to a Viper. When I bought that car, I swore up and down I woudn't mod it, about 6 months into the deal I coudn't stand it anymore. I began some minor mods because it was so borring. I was ready to pull the motor and build a 427 with a blower, then the news about the new Z06 came into the mix. I decided I would stop where I was at, and get rid of my car before the C6 Z06 arrived, as C5 pricing was already falling hard. I went to the Chevy Dealer to see if they would take an early deposit on the Z06. At that instant while I was at the Dealer, I thought to myself, what am I doing here? "Why don't I buy my dream car, an ACR?" I knew at that point, that I could always get a Vette, but an ACR was no longer built and that I would always dream about that car. The Z06 turned out to be everything and then some, but this should be noted, I would sell a Vette for my Viper any day, but never the other way around.

One other thing to note, is that that modded Vettes are usually worth nothing. If somoene is willing to give you good money for your car and your thinking of selling it, than it may be your chance to off load it. Contrary to what most people will say, selling a newer Vette is a pain in the @ss. Most people with money want a new one, not some kids modded car. It's your choice, good luck with your decision.

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Viper. My dad has a 2004 C5 modified by ECS.

Just the other day, my dad and I agreed. If we had to do it over again, we would have bought 1999 FRCs. We would have brought them to ECS for a Paxton, LG, CCW setup. We would have the ultimate in high-performance cars. And for under fifty grand.

I think the Viper is the greatest production car ever. I love Vipers more than any other car. But I must admit to the many and affordable options available to Corvettes. Corvettes are the real thing. Just look at Sebring and Mid Ohio. They can race. And even beat LMP1s.

With the time and money and the mods that you have invested already, I am not sure you should get rid of such an awesome car. And if you do go to ECS for a Paxton blower, than you will have a car that could smoke a stock Viper -- for maybe half the cost.

I love my dad's C5. Driving it is as much fun as driving my Viper. When you are in a Viper, however, everwhere you go, people look. Sometimes the attention is fun. (A bunch of kids give thumbs up, a bunch of girls smile.) But sometimes it is annoying. (How much did that cost?) Whether good or bad, the Viper is a desirable car.

If you can afford your FRC with a Paxton, but cannot afford a Viper with a blower, than you may prefer a blown FRC. A stock Viper may still be more desirable, but a blown FRC may be more fun. Either way, both are awesome.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a LPE TT C5. 1000+hp Daily driver. Now have the Viper. And drive it almost every day. The Vette is much easier to drive and race. The Viper is very fun to drive though. And get way more looks. ( if you care )

Both cars can be made to go very fast.

Vette easier to race.

Viper gets a lot more looks on the street.

I say just sale the Vette and try the Viper. You can always get another Vette and make it fast if ya dont like the Viper.

Or go get a new Z06. ;)

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dump the vette..get the viper.

Lifes made up of experiences....

Go for the new car!

Change is your friend.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At your age you should start collecting Vipers. Time your 50 you could sell a few and retire comfortably. Don't try that with the Vette. I had a Vette and will never go back. My two cents, keep the change.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it guys, but I drove a paxton viper today, and was disappointed. I had VERY high expectations though, so that might be why. I also think something might be wrong w/the car. It seemed to have fallen on it's face at about 5,500rpms. Does this seem normal?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. At 5500 rpm it should be getting some real legs. Mine dynos with steeply climbing power right to redline with a near constant torque.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No. At 5500 rpm it should be getting some real legs. Mine dynos with steeply climbing power right to redline with a near constant torque.

yea, that's what I figured. This thing could hardly break the tires loose in 2nd gear. It's supposed to have a claimed 686rwhp, and if that were the case, it would have been a lot more difficult to control. I got back in my 500hp vette and it felt a lot faster than the viper. Something must definitely be up. Being that it's at a dealership, that doesn't surprise me

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the dealership told you it has 686 rwhp?

Just another reason not to trust a dealer, plus there is definately something wrong with the setup. A paxton can roast the tires in second gear.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, the dealership let me call the previous owner and talk to him about the car and the owner said it put down 711rwhp, and then they de-tuned it for safety back down to 686rwhp. But the car didn't pull at all past 5,500rpm. I don't know if it was belt slip or what, but something wasn't right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery