Has anyone replaced factory alarm with aftermarket alarm?

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone?

My stock alarm brain is going crazy. I'm about to replace it with an aftermarket alarm and use relays to control the door solenoids with the alarm cutting power to the relays when armed. Anyone done this before?

Run into any problems?

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DChan, that's really the only way to do it. I had a "basic" alarm on my truck. It didn't do a damn thing when my stereo got stolen. The current cut-offs would provide a lot more security. At least they wouldn't be able to simply hotwire the car. Also, if you get an alarm that is that nice, also get a electronic battery cutoff. It will cut off power to everything but the alarm. ( That is of course if you directly wire alarm to battery. ) I figure, if you're gonna spend "that much" money on a Viper, might as well spend a few hundred more for a "top-notch" alarm.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately. If you do a search on alarms, you'll notice that most of the people that have after market alarms piggy back them on the OE alarm.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Alpine' alarm over here.
Works perfect on my RT/10.
Has even got motion sensors, so I can leave it behind without the top installed.

Don't ask me how it got installed, or what it cost since the previous owner took care of that. It works perfect though.

OP
OP
D

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've looked at the wiring diagram, and It looks like it can be done. I'll try it out. If anyone else is considering doing it and want some more info feel free to email me. Thanks.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Alarm that works for me is the Viper (Brand name) alarm. You can set it to cut the ignition, set it to chirp if the slightest bump hits the car. If someone rubs against the car it will chirp to full blown alarm. The Viper alarm has a built in door opener and much more. One part of the Alarm that you do not want is the part where it say's "You are to close back off", people will play with the alarm if you use that part of it.
I use the Viper alarm with the stock alarm. If someone try's to key the car the alarm will go off, break the glass and the alarm will go off, stick your hand through an open window (if it is down) and the alarm will go off and much more. Might cost a dollar more but it works.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Viper alarm on my 95 RT with proxy sensor and all. I was really annoyed with it because it was too sensitive. Since I have a GTS with automatic windows, I don't feel the alarm is that necessary, although I don't leave it parked alone long.